WEDNESDAY 01 DECEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
SKY, WIND, FIRE, WATER, EARTH + BIRTH/MOTHER aka Kya ka ra ba a + Tarachime d. Naomi Kawase, 2001 + 2006 at BFI Southbank (01 DEC 18:15) / Part of JAPAN 2021: ANOTHER GAZE.
- “The youngest Cannes Camera d’Or winner at 28 with her debut feature SUZAKU (1997), Naomi Kawase maintains the highest international profile among the new wave of Japanese female directors who arrived in her wake. She began her career with a series of experimental documentaries – and these two later works from her body of lyrical, first-person Super8 films both cite and reconfigure her earlier, more tender attempts at confronting the pain around her unconventional upbringing. In SKY, WIND, FIRE, WATER, EARTH (2001) Kawase forces herself to confront her reaction to the death of the father she barely knew, while in BIRTH/MOTHER (2006), as the filmmaker prepares to give birth, she asks difficult questions of the ailing great-aunt who raised her.”
- 90 DAYS OF HOPE: WHY BRITAIN CHOSE NOT TO END HOMELESSNESS d. Paul Atherton, 2021 Premiere + Charity Fundraiser for The Museum of Homelessness at Genesis Cinema (01 DEC 18:45).
- AFTER LIFE aka Wandafuru raifu d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 1998 at BFI Southbank (01 DEC 20:30).
- THE APARTMENT 4K d. Billy Wilder, 1960 + Recorded intro by Tara Judah at BFI Southbank (01 DEC 18:00).
- A WINTER’S TALE 35mm aka Conte d’hiver d. Éric Rohmer 1992 at The Prince Charles (01 DEC 17:30).
- BORDER aka Gräns d. Ali Abbasi, 2018 presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St. Barnabas Church Ealing (01 DEC 20:15).
- BULL d. Paul Andrew Williams, 2021 at Genesis Cinema (01 DEC 21:10).
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 at The Prince Charles (01 DEC 12:05).
- DEAR FUTURE CHILD d. Franz Böhm, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Frontline Club (01 DEC 19:00).
- EYES WIDE SHUT 35mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1999 at The Prince Charles (01 DEC 20:15).
- IN THE REALM OF THE SENSES 35mm aka Ai no corrida d. Nagisa Ôshima, 1976 at BFI Southbank (01 DEC 20:50).
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE 35mm d. Frank Capra, 1946 at The Prince Charles (01 to 24 DEC various).
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (01 DEC 14:30).
- MEAN GIRLS 35mm d. Mark Waters, 2003 presented by Unicorn Nights at The Prince Charles (01 DEC 20:30).
- NOMADLAND d. Chloé Zhao, 2020 at The David Lean (01 DEC 19:30)
- RIDERS OF JUSTICE d. Anders Thomas Jensen, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (01 DEC 20:00).
- SKY, WIND, FIRE, WATER, EARTH + BIRTH/MOTHER aka Kya ka ra ba a + Tarachime d. Naomi Kawase, 2001 + 2006 at BFI Southbank (01 DEC 18:15).
- ZOLA d. Janicza Bravo, 2021 at Screen25 Cinema (01 DEC 19:45).
- Frames Of Representation (25 NOV to 04 DEC).
- French Film Festival (03 NOV to 15 DEC).
- London Baltic Film Festival (27 to 28 NOV).
- London International Animation Festival (26 NOV to 05 DEC).
- London Migration Film Festival (25 NOV to 01 DEC).
- London Palestine Film Festival (19 NOV to 03 DEC).
- London Surf Film Festival (02 to 04 DEC).
- Made In Prague Festival (07 NOV to 10 DEC).
- Russian Film Week (28 NOV to 05 DEC).
- Soho Horror Film Festival (26 to 28 NOV).
- Ukranian Film Festival (22 NOV to 06 DEC).
THE FIRST WAVE d. Matthew Heineman, 2021.
- Various venues, inc: Peckhamplex
HOUSE OF GUCCI d. Ridley Scott, 2021.
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Cinema in the Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / JW3 / Kino Bermondsey / Olympic Cinema / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
Also (26 NOV to 02 DEC various dates/times):
- 14 PEAKS: NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE d. Torquil Jones, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- BAD LUCK BANGING OR LOONY PORN d. Radu Jude, 2021 at: Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Rio Cinema.
- FALLEN ANGELS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1995 at: The Prince Charles.
- JFK REVISITED: THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS d. Oliver Stone, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- LAPWING d. Philip Stevens, 2020 at: Rio Cinema.
- PIRATES d. Reggie Yates, 2021 at: Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Rich Mix.
- THE SUMMIT OF THE GODS d. Patrick Imbert, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- THE UNFORGIVABLE d. Nora Fingscheidt, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- Kennington Bioscope presents A SOUL IN TORMENT from 35mm at The Cinema Museum (02 FEB 2022).
- Kung Fu Cinema presents late-nite Kung Fu at Genesis Cinema (04 & 11 FEB 2022).
- Musical Sunday presents GYPSY at The Cinema Museum (23 JAN 2022).
- Japan Foundation presents WHAT LIES BENEATH at ICA (04 to 13 FEB 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.