WEDNESDAY 03 NOVEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
But Where Are You Really From? short film programme + Q&A presented by T A P E Collective at Kino Bermondsey (03 NOV 20:30).
- “For the past few years T A P E Collective has programmed events around the themes of identity and heritage, observing the different ways in which filmmakers of mixed heritage attempt to respond to the question: ‘But where are you really from?’ It’s a universal sentiment experienced by those who have their feet in two worlds, exploring code-switching, losing a language and the whitewashing of names – all resulting in the ‘othering’ in one’s own country; whether it be the first, second or third one. This tongue-in-cheek nod to anyone who’s been asked the question explores the nuances of being of mixed heritage, looking at the themes of the good immigrant trope, losing and learning a language and the significance of names.”
- ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 at The Prince Charles (03 NOV 12:45).
- ALL OR NOTHING 4k d. Mike Leigh, 2002 at BFI (03 NOV 20:30).
- An Evening of Shorts + Filmmaker Q&A presented by White Ermine Films at The Castle Cinema (03 NOV 18:30).
- BLADE 35mm d. Stephen Norrington, 1998 at The Prince Charles (03 NOV 15:25).
- But Where Are You Really From? short film programme + Q&A presented by T A P E Collective at Kino Bermondsey (03 NOV 20:30).
- CENSOR d. Prano Bailey-Bond, 2021 at Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (03 NOV 19:45).
- FALLEN BLOSSOMS (Flowers Have Fallen) 35mm aka Hana chirinu d. Tamizo Ishida, 1938 + Intro by Japanese film scholar Alejandra Armendáriz-Hernández at BFI (03 NOV 18:20).
- MANHUNTER 35mm d. Michael Mann, 1986 at The Prince Charles (03 NOV 15:20).
- NOMADLAND d. Chloé Zhao, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (03 NOV 20:00).
- PRESSURE d. Horace Ové, 1976 presented by Leytonstone Pop-Up Cinema at Leytonstone Library, Main Hall (03 NOV 19:45).
- QUANT d. Sadie Frost, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Everyman Belsize Park (03 NOV 18:00).
- THE ROOM d. Tommy Wiseau, 2003 at The Prince Charles (03 NOV 21:00).
- SCREAM d. Wes Craven, 1996 at The Prince Charles (29 OCT to 04 NOV various – some 35mm).
- THE SHINING [UK Version] 35mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1980 at The Prince Charles (03 NOV 20:30).
- THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS 4k d. Jonathan Demme, 1991 + Recorded intro by Professor Yvonne Tasker, author of The Silence of the Lambs: BFI Film Classics at BFI (03 NOV 19:00).
- THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE 35mm d. Tobe Hooper, 1974 at The Prince Charles (03 NOV 13:20).
- TOKYO OLYMPIAD aka Tokyo Orinpikku d. Ichikawa Kon, 1965 at Japan House London (03 NOV 18:30 – FREE!).
- WINGS OF DESIRE 35mm aka Der Himmel über Berlin d. Wim Wenders, 1987 at The Prince Charles (03 NOV 18:00).
- SPILLOVER d. Nobunye Levin, 2021 + Performance/Q&A with the director & collaborators presented online by Screenworlds & BIMI (03 NOV 17:00 – FREE!/Watch film online beforehand then join the Performance/Q&A).
- Brazil Indigenous Film Festival (22 OCT to 04 NOV).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (28 OCT to 14 NOV).
- French Film Festival (03 NOV to 15 DEC).
- FrightFest Halloween (29 to 30 OCT).
- Halloween Horror Festival (29 OCT).
- London East Asia Film Festival (21 to 31 OCT).
- London Korean Film Festival (04 to 19 NOV).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Panorama of Bulgarian Film (28 to 31 OCT).
- Raindance Film Festival (27 OCT to 06 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (04 to 18 NOV).
- Also (29 OCT to 04 NOV various dates/times): A COP MOVIE d. Alonso Ruizpalacios, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // ANTLERS d. Scott Cooper, 2021 at: Everyman Cinemas // AZOR d. Andreas Fontana, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA// QUANT d. Sadie Frost, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / ICA / JW3 / Olympic Studios / Picturehouse Cinemas / THE RESCUE d. Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi & Jimmy Chin, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- BIG BOYS DON’T CRY + Q&A raising funds for NAPAC at Everyman Borough Yards (03 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.