WEDNESDAY 05 APRIL 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Pink Palace: BOOM! d. Joseph Losey, 1968 + Intro/discussion in the basement bar at Rio Cinema (05 APR 20:00).
“Pink Palace presents John Waters’ favourite film, the 1968 box office disaster and outrageously camp BOOM!. Starring real life couple Liz Taylor and Richard Burton and more importantly Liz Taylor’s fabulous collection of huge diamonds (which she insisted on wearing for the film). Noel Coward also appears as the Witch of Capri, who arrives for dinner in a gothic gondola at the modernist mansion perched atop a remote Italian island.”
“Based on the play by Tennessee Williams The Milk Train Doesn’t Stop Here Anymore, BOOM! tells the story of the tragic Sissy Goforth, an ageing millionaires with an undisclosed fatal illness, frantically dictating her memoir’s and fearing death, and who arrives but Richard Burton as the Angel of Death. A film so bad its not merely good, but soooo bad it’s GENIUS. Literally unlike any movie you will ever see, filled with so much crazy queer detail it deserves repeat viewings.” (Pink Palace)
- A MAN CALLED OTTO d. Marc Forster, 2022 at The David Lean (05 APR 19:30).
- Pink Palace: BOOM! d. Joseph Losey, 1968 + Intro/discussion in the basement bar at Rio Cinema (05 APR 20:00).
- DANCE CRAZE d. Joe Massot, 1981 at Olympic Studios (05 APR 20:20).
- R.I.P. Germain: Artist’s Screening + Q&A with the artist at ICA (05 APR 19:00).
- VENGEANCE d. B. J. Novak, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (05 APR 20:00 / 09 APR 17:00).
- WEATHERING WITH YOU aka Tenki no ko d. Makoto Shinkai, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (05 APR 19:45).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- JURASSIC PARK 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1993 (05 APR 12:30).
- THE HUNGER 35mm d. Tony Scott, 1983 (05 APR 18:10).
- KUNDUN 35mm d. Martin Scorsese, 1997 (05 APR 20:30).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOUR AMONGST THIEVES d. John Francis Daley & Jonathan Goldstein, 2023 (31 MAR to 13 APR).
- THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE d. Aaron Horvath & Michael Jelenic, 2023 (05 to 13 APR).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- WEATHERING WITH YOU aka Tenki no ko d. Makoto Shinkai, 2019 (05 APR 18:00).
- AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 (05 APR 20:45).
ANNIVERSARY SEASON at Everyman Belsize Park
- L’ARGENT d. Robert Bresson, 1983 (05 APR 18:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- THE PASSENGER aka Professione: Reporter d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975 + Intro by Geoff Andrew, Programmer-at-Large (05 APR 18:00).
CHISWICK PICKS at Chiswick Cinema
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI: 25TH ANNIVERSARY d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 1998 (05 APR 20:15).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI: 25TH ANNIVERSARY d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 1998 (31 MAR to 06 APR – Some 4K).
COEN BROTHERS ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- BURN AFTER READING 35mm d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 2008 (05 APR 10:30).
GINGER ROGERS: ALL THAT SASS at BFI Southbank
- BLACK WIDOW d. Nunnally Johnson, 1954 (05 APR 20:40).
OUTSIDERS AND EXILES: THE FILMS OF JERZY SKOLIMOWSKI at BFI Southbank
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (05 APR 15:40).
- Clermont-Ferrand in London (04 to 08 APR).
- Essay Film Festival (25 to 31 MAR).
- We Are Parable: Experience Over Everything (31 MAR to 02 APR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (18 to 31 MAR).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- The Malarkey Film Festival: Creepuscula (05 APR).
Also 31 MAR to 06 APR (various dates/times):
- Preview: AIR d. Ben Affleck, 2023 at (from 05 APR): Catford Mews / The Cinema In The Arches / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix /
- EFTIHIA d. Angelos Frantzis, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End.
- THE PAWNSHOP d. Lukasz Kowalski, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- RIOTSVILLE, USA d. Sierra Pettengill, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas + Q&A.
- TETRIS d. Jon S. Baird, 2023 at: Everyman Cinemas.
- THREE COLOURS: BLUE – 4K Restoration d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1993 at (limited engagements): ArtHouse Crouch End / Ciné Lumière / Close-Up Film Centre / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.