WEDNESDAY 05 JULY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Double Bill: SHARK SKIN MAN & PEACH HIP GIRL + PARTY 7 d. Katsuhito Ishii, 1998 + 2000 + Q&A with the director at The Prince Charles (05 JUL 18:00).
“SHARK SKIN MAN & PEACH HIP GIRL (1998) : The debut film of Katshito Ishii, and A film Quentin Tarantino loved so much that he asked its director to direct the animated chapter of KILL BILL! Legendary Japanese actor Tadanobu Asano (Ichi the Killer) plays the role of Samehada (Sharkskin) who, on the run himself from stealing Yakuza money, meets a girl who’s on the run from her perverted boss! A tale of star-crossed lovers on the run from all sorts of crazy people!”
“PARTY 7 (2000) : Katsuhito Ishii’s follow-up to Shark Skin Man once again brings back Tadanobu Asano to play one of his strangest roles, that of a peeping pervert who is one of 7 wild characters who find themselves in 1 hotel room with a stolen suitcase of Yakuza money, each on the run from their own past!” (The Prince Charles)
In association with the Japan Foundation
- ALLELUJAH d. Richard Eyre, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (05 JUL 20:00 / 09 JUL 17:00).
- MY EXTINCTION d. Josh Appignanesi, 2023 + Q&A with the director at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 JUL 18:30).
- ON OUR DOORSTEP d. Thomas Laurance, 2023 + Panel discussion at Bertha DocHouse (05 JUL 18:30).
- Double Bill: SHARK SKIN MAN & PEACH HIP GIRL + PARTY 7 d. Katsuhito Ishii, 1998 + 2000 + Q&A with the director at The Prince Charles (05 JUL 18:00).
- ZIGGY STARDUST: The Global Premiere d. D. A. Pennebaker, 1973 at various venues inc: Chiswick Cinema (05 JUL 19:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- GLADIATOR 35mm d. Ridley Scott, 2000 (05 JUL 12:30).
- BOXCAR BERTHA 35mm d. Martin Scorsese, 1972 (05 JUL 18:20).
4TH OF JULY at The Prince Charles
- JAWS d. Steven Spielberg, 1975 (05 JUL 15:20).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- SUZUME (Subtitled) d. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 (05 JUL 20:30).
BAR TRASH – MONSTER MAYHEM! at Genesis Cinema & Rule Zero
- KONGA d. John Lemont, 1961 + Intro, intermission, themed drinks & prize giveaways at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon (05 JUL 20:30).
- Presented by Token Homo.
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THERE’S A PLACE… at BFI Southbank
- THE HARDER THEY COME d. Perry Henzell, 1972 + Intro by Lloyd Bradley (05 JUL 18:00).
THE CINEMA OF CHRISTOPHER NOLAN ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- INTERSTELLAR 35mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (05 JUL 10:30).
THE FILMS OF GRETA GERWIG at BFI Southbank
- DAMSELS IN DISTRESS d. Whit Stillman, 2011 (05 JUL 20:40).
FOUR FILMS BY CHANTAL AKERMAN at The Prince Charles
- NEWS FROM HOME d. Chantal Akerman, 1976 (05 JUL 15:45).
GERWIG VS NOLAN at Picturehouse Cinemas
- INCEPTION d. Christopher Nolan, 2010 (05 JUL various).
- FRANCES HA d. Noah Baumbach, 2012 (05 JUL various).
MAKING MAGIC: 100 YEARS OF DISNEY at BFI Southbank
- Touchstone Pictures Presents: SPLASH d. Ron Howard, 1984 (05 JUL 20:30).
UN/SEEN SPECTRES at Barbican
- SYLWAN d. Salad Hilowle, 2022 + Two films by Madubuko Diakité + Intro by Awa Konaté (05 JUL 18:30).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (05 JUL 12:50).
Check venues for full listings…
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- London Festival of Architecture x Brixton Community Cinema (09 JUN to 02 JUL).
- Magnum Photos Film Festival (24 to 30 JUN).
- Odyssey Film Festival (26 MAY to 30 JUN).
- SAFAR Film Festival (29 JUN to 09 JUL).
- SoHome Horror Pride (29 JUN to 02 JUL – online).
- Sundance Film Festival London (06 to 09 JUL).
Also 30 JUN to 06 JUL (various dates/times):
- AGAINST THE TIDE d. Sarvnnik Kaur, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- MY EXTINCTION d. Josh Appignanesi, 2023 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Curzon Cinemas.
- SMALL, SLOW BUT STEADY d. Shô Miyake, 2022 at: Barbican / The Garden Cinema / ICA / Rio Cinema.
- SUNLIGHT d. Claire Dix, 2023 at: Watermans.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.