WEDNESDAY 07 JULY 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
ATLANTIS d. Valentyn Vasyanovych, 2019 at ICA (07 JUL 14:00).
- “Winner of Best Film in the Horizons section of the 76th Venice International Film Festival, Valentyn Vasyanovych’s post-apocalyptic drama is an urgent parable of life after war. Featuring a largely non-professional cast (including lead actor Andriy Rymaruk, himself a veteran of the Donbas War), ATLANTIS is at once a bleak tale about the horrors of conflict – and an optimistic reassurance that another world might be possible.” (ICA)
- AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 at The Prince Charles (07 JUL 12:00).
- AS TEARS GO BY 4K aka Wong Gok ka moon d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988 at BFI Southbank (07 JUL 14:30).
- AS TEARS GO BY 4K aka Wong Gok ka moon d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988 at ICA (07 JUL 18:30).
- ATLANTIS d. Valentyn Vasyanovych, 2019 at ICA (07 JUL 14:00) / Today’s featured attraction!
- CITIZEN KANE 35MM d. Orson Welles, 1941 at The Prince Charles (07 JUL 15:25).
- COOKIE’S FORTUNE d. Robert Altman, 1999 at BFI Southbank (07 JUL 20:40).
- THE DARK KNIGHT 35MM d. Christopher Nolan, 2008 at The Prince Charles (07 JUL 20:00).
- DISTANT VOICES, STILL LIVES 4K d. Terence Davies, 1988 + Recorded Intro by film critic Thirza Wakefield at BFI Southbank (07 JUL 18:00).
- DON’T CRY, PRETTY GIRLS! aka Szép lányok, ne sírjatok! d. Márta Mészáros, 1970 at BFI Southbank (07 JUL 17:40).
- EVIL DEAD II d. Sam Raimi, 1987 at The Prince Charles (07 JUL 17:45).
- LOCAL HERO d. Bill Forsyth, 1983 at Everyman Cinemas (07 JUL various).
- LOOKING FOR GILLES CARON aka Gilles Caron: Histoire d’un regard d. Mariana Otero, 2020 at Ciné Lumière (07 JUL 18:30).
- MANDABI d. Ousmane Sembène, 1968 + Q&A presented by Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (07 JUL 19:45).
- MARTIN EDEN d. Pietro Marcello, 2020 preview at ICA (07 JUL 20:50).
- SHOWGIRLS 35MM d. Paul Verhoeven, 1995 at The Prince Charles (07 JUL 20:30).
- THE SURROGATE d. Jeremy Hersch, 2020 + Q&A with the director & actor Jasmine Batchelor presented by Alt-Africa at Genesis Cinema (07 JUL 18:20).
- TAMPOPO d. Jûzô Itami, 1985 at The Prince Charles (07 JUL 15:00).
- TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY d. James Cameron, 1991 at The Prince Charles (07 JUL 12:30).
- THEIR ALGERIA d. Lina Soualem, 2020 + Q&A with the director at Ciné Lumière (07 JUL 20:35) / Part of SAFAR Film Festival.
- YOU DON’T NOMI d. Jeffrey McHale, 2019 at The Prince Charles (07 JUL 18:15).
- THE CONJURING: THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT d. Michael Chaves, 2021 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (07 JUL 21:15).
- THE HANGOVER d. Todd Phillips, 2009 at bar Elba SE1 (07 JUL 21:30).
- SPICE WORLD d. Bob Spiers, 1997 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (07 JUL 21:15).
- Bagri Foundation London Indian Film Festival (17 JUN to 04 JUL).
- Doc’n Roll Festival – Summer Screenings (JUN & JUL).
- London Korean Film Festival – Teaser Screenings (JUL).
- Queer East – Pride Season (JUN to JUL).
- SAFAR Film Festival: Generational Encounters in Arab Cinema (01 to 06 JUL).
- Sohome Horror Fest Pride 2021 (02 to 04 JUL online).
ANOTHER ROUND d. Thomas Vinterberg, 2021
- Daily, inc: Archlight Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle / Catford Mews / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / ICA / The Lexi / Olympic Studios / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
LADY BOSS: THE JACKIE COLLINS STORY d. Laurie Fairrie, 2021
- Daily, inc: Curzon Cinemas
- Also (other films/venues may be available!): DON’T GO GENTLE: A FILM ABOUT IDLES d. Mark Archer, 2020 at Picturehouse Cinemas (daily 02 to 08 JUL various times).
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.