WEDNESDAY 08 SEPTEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
AS ABOVE, SO BELOW aka Kama fissamaa’, kathalika ala al-ard d. Sarah Francis, 2020 at BFI (08 SEP 20:45) / Part of THE TIME IS NEW: SELECTIONS FROM CONTEMPORARY ARAB CINEMA.
- “The elements here are swings, a vast landscape, queues waiting for nothing in particular, a strangely soothing voice, and the moon is the main protagonist. A lunar meditation and a statement on play and formalism, Sarah Francis’ debut feature is a stunning visual experience that manages to create a spectacular cinematic universe out of very limited resources.”
- A screening on 01 OCT 18:10 will feature a pre-recorded Q&A with director Sarah Francis.
- AMMONITE d. Francis Lee, 2021 at Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (08 SEP 19:45).
- AS ABOVE, SO BELOW aka Kama fissamaa’, kathalika ala al-ard d. Sarah Francis, 2020 at BFI (08 SEP 20:45).
- BAIT d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (08 SEP 20:00).
- CINEMA PARADISO 4K aka Nuovo Cinema Paradiso d. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988 at BFI (08 SEP 14:15).
- COPILOT d. Anne Zohra Berrached, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Genesis Cinema (08 SEP 18:10).
- ICELAND IS BEST d. Max Newsom, 2021 + Q&A with the director, director of photography/producer Dankuro Shinma, & producer Will Randall-Coath at Everyman King’s Cross (08 SEP 18:00).
- JAZZ ON A SUMMER’S DAY d. Aram Avakian & Bert Stern, 1959 + Recorded Content from Green Man Festival at Barbican (08 SEP 18:15).
- JURASSIC PARK 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1993 at The Prince Charles (08 SEP 12:40).
- LAURA d. Otto Preminger, 1944 + Intro by Geoff Andrew, Programmer-at-Large at BFI (08 SEP 18:10).
- THE LONG GOODBYE 35mm d. Robert Altman, 1973 at The Prince Charles (08 SEP 17:40).
- THE MALTESE FALCON d. John Huston, 1941 + Extended intro: The Making of The Maltese Falcon by Adrian Wootton at BFI (08 SEP 17:50).
- THE MASTER 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012 at The Prince Charles (08 SEP 20:15).
- OCEAN’S ELEVEN d. Steven Soderbergh, 2001 at The Prince Charles (08 SEP 15:30).
- OLDBOY aka Oldeuboi d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 at The Prince Charles (08 SEP 12:20).
- THE STORY OF A THREE-DAY PASS aka La permission d. Melvin Van Peebles, 1967 + Intro/Q&A with Karen Alexander at Ciné Lumière (08 SEP 18:20).
- THE THIRD MAN 4k d. Carol Reed, 1949 at BFI (08 SEP 21:00).
- TOKYO STORY 35mm aka Tôkyô monogatari d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1953 at The Prince Charles (08 SEP 20:30).
- LÉON: THE PROFESSIONAL d. Luc Besson, 1994 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (08 SEP 20:00).
- THE SUICIDE SQUAD d. James Gunn, 2021 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (08 SEP 20:00).
- CASA Festival (01 to 29 SEP).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- Open City Documentary Festival (08 to 14 SEP in venues / 13 to 23 SEP online).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (09 to 19 SEP).
- Sci-Fi-London 48hr Film Challenge (04 to 06 SEP).
ANNETTE d. Leos Carax, 2021.
- Also (03 to 09 SEP various dates/times): THE CHAMPION OF AUSCHWITZ d. Maciej Barczewski, 2020 at: JW3 / Picturehouse Cinemas // DAVID BYRNE’S AMERICAN UTOPIA d. Spike Lee, 2020 at: The Prince Charles // EPICENTRO d. Hubert Sauper, 2020 at: Bertha DocHouse // JANINE JANSEN: FALLING FOR STRADIVARI d. Gerald Fox, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // JAZZ ON A SUMMER’S DAY d. Aram Avakian & Bert Stern, 1959 at: Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas // WILDFIRE d. Cathy Brady, 2020 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / BFI / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Rio Cinema.
- Leytonstone Pop-Up Cinema presents THE ICE KING at Leytonstone Library (02 FEB 2022).
- Lambeth Libraries presents a FREE! screening of REBEL DYKES + Discussion (04 FEB 2022).
- Celebrate St. Brigid’s Day with Irish Film London (29 & 30 JAN 2022).
- Kennington Bioscope presents A SOUL IN TORMENT from 35mm at The Cinema Museum (02 FEB 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.