WEDNESDAY 09 MARCH 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
F FOR FAKE d. Orson Welles, 1973 + Intro by Programmer-at-large, Geoff Andrew (09 MAR 18:10) / Part of BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: PUTTING ON A SHOW at BFI Southbank:
“Welles performs various kinds of magic while considering questions of art, artifice and authorship in a brilliantly inventive essay film that juxtaposes his own colourful history with the case of celebrated art forger Elmyr de Hory and his unreliable biographer Clifford Irving. A witty, wise and playfully mischievous meditation on numerous aspects of creativity, the film also provides philosophical food for thought about cinema itself.”
- CASABLANCA d. Michael Curtiz, 1942 at Riverside Studios (09 MAR 12:30).
- Encounters Short Film & Animation Collection at Kino Bermondsey (09 MAR 20:30).
- GREAT FREEDOM aka Große Freiheit d. Sebastian Meise, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Everyman Muswell Hill (09 MAR 18:30).
- International Women’s Day: HAPPENING d. Audrey Diwan, 2022 + Pre-recorded Q&A with the director at BFI Southbank (09 MAR 20:40).
- KING RICHARD d. Reinaldo Marcus Green, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (09 MAR 20:00).
- MEMORIA d. Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2021 at Close-Up (09 MAR 20:00).
- REBEL DREAD d. William E Badgley, 2020 + Q&A with Don Letts hosted by Zak Cochrane of Love Music Hate Racism at Curzon Soho (09 MAR 18:15).
- REBEL DREAD d. William E Badgley, 2020 + Recorded Q&A with Don Letts at Everyman Cinema (09 MAR various).
- Experiments in Film: REMINISCENSES OF A JOURNEY TO LITHUANIA 16mm d. Jonas Mekas, 1950–1953 & 1971 + Intro by Herb Shellenberger & poetry reading by Paulina Pukytė at Barbican (09 MAR 18:30).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 19 MAR various).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE MASTER 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012 (09 MAR 20:30).
THE ABC OF ASTA NIELSEN at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): IMPOSSIBLE LOVE aka Unmögliche Liebe d. Erich Waschneck, 1932 (09 MAR 18:20); EARTH SPIRIT aka Erdgeist d. Leopold Jessner, 1923 + Live piano accompaniment by Meg Morley (09 MAR 20:50).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ALINE, THE VOICE OF LOVE d. Valérie Lemercier, 2020 (09 MAR 20:25).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: PUTTING ON A SHOW at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): NASHVILLE d. Robert Altman, 1975 (09 MAR 14:15); F FOR FAKE d. Orson Welles, 1973 + Intro by Programmer-at-large, Geoff Andrew (09 MAR 18:10).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH d. Joel Coen, 2021 (09 MAR 13:00); BELFAST d. Kenneth Branagh, 2021 (09 MAR 18:15).
- Includes (check venue for listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 19 MAR various); THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH d. Joel Coen, 2021 (09 MAR 13:00); BELFAST d. Kenneth Branagh, 2021 (09 MAR 18:15); TITANE d. Julia Ducournau, 2021 (09 MAR 20:45).
REWARDING DOCS at Bertha DocHouse
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ASCENSION d. Jessica Kingdon, 2020 (09 MAR 18:30); SUMMER OF SOUL d. Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson, 2021 (09 MAR 20:40).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): POM POKO d. Isao Takahata, 1994 (from 05 MAR); TALES FROM EARTHSEA d. Gorô Miyazaki, 2006 (from 05 MAR).
- Cinema Made in Italy at Ciné Lumière (03 to 07 MAR).
- Glasgow Film Festival (02 to 13 MAR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 03 APR).
ATLANTIS d. Valentyn Vasyanovych, 2019:
- Also 04 to 10 MAR (various dates/times): A STARRY SKY ABOVE THE ROMAN GHETTO d. Giulio Base, 2020 at: JW3 // DREAMS aka Sueños d. Marcos Martínez, 2021 at: ICA // THE GODFATHER: PART II d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1974 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // THE SANCTITY OF SPACE d. Renan Ozturk & Freddie Wilkinson, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / Genesis Cinema / Rich Mix // THE WORLD WITHOUT YOU d. Damon Shalit, 2019 at: JW3 (from 10 MAR).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
- Irish Film London presents the St Brigid’s Day Film Festival at Rio Cinema, Riverside Studios & online (03 to 05 FEB 2023).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.