WEDNESDAY 11 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
SILENT VOICE d. Reka Valerik, 2020 + Recorded Q&A with the director, UK premiere presented by New East Cinema at Barbican (11 AUG 18:30).
- “Khavaj, a young gay Mixed Martial Arts fighter, has fled his birthplace of Chechnya where homophobia is rife and overtly expressed by its leadership. Fearful of the death threats made by his brother, he has moved to Belgium, where he must live in total anonymity. SILENT VOICE traces Khavaj’s first months in Brussels, where he struggles to adapt to a new identity and tries to regain his ability to speak, lost through the trauma of his predicament. SILENT VOICE is a tremendously brave and moving film in which director Reka Valerik follows Khajav as he listens to phone messages from his distraught mother and starts to build a new life. Film festivals in Russia have cancelled screenings of the film, following threats and complaints about the promotion of ‘LGBT values’. This screening is the first time the film has been shown in the UK.”
- AS TEARS GO BY aka Wong Gok ka moon d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988 at Picturehouse Cinemas (11 AUG various).
- A TALE OF SPRINGTIME 35MM aka Conte de printemps d. Éric Rohmer, 1989 at The Prince Charles (11 AUG 16:15).
- BOOGIE NIGHTS 35MM d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997 at The Prince Charles (11 AUG 15:00).
- CENSOR d. Prano Bailey-Bond, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Genesis Cinema (11 AUG 18:20).
- CUTTER’S WAY d. Ivan Passer, 1981 + Recorded Intro by Geoff Andrew, Programmer-at-Large at BFI Southbank (11 AUG 17:50).
- EL FATHER PLAYS HIMSELF d. Mo Scarpelli, 2020 at ICA (11 AUG 16:10).
- OLD ACQUAINTANCE 35MM d. Vincent Sherman, 1943 at BFI Southbank (11 AUG 17:40).
- LIMBO d. Ben Sharrock, 2020 + Recorded Q&A with the director at ArtHouse Crouch End (11 AUG 15:30).
- SILENT VOICE d. Reka Valerik, 2020 + Recorded Q&A with the director UK premiere presented by New East Cinema at Barbican (11 AUG 18:30).
- TIE ME UP, TIE ME DOWN! aka Atame! d. Pedro Almodóvar, 1989 at BFI Southbank (11 AUG 20:50).
- TWO OF US d. Filippo Meneghetti, 2020 + Short: WINGS d. Jamie Weston, 2020 + Q&A with charity Opening Doors presented by Women Over Fifty Film Festival at The Lexi Cinema (11 AUG 19:30).
- THE WATERMELON WOMAN d. Cheryl Dunye, 1996 presented by Unicorn Nights at The Prince Charles (11 AUG 18:55).
- THE WHALES OF AUGUST d. Lindsay Anderson, 1987 at BFI Southbank (11 AUG 14:30).
- WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? d. Robert Aldrich, 1962 at BFI Southbank (11 AUG 20:30).
- BLACK WIDOW d. Cate Shortland, 2021 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (11 AUG 20:30).
- IN BRUGES d. Martin McDonagh, 2008 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (11 AUG 20:30).
- NOMADLAND d. Chloé Zhao, 2020 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (11 AUG 20:30).
- TOP GUN d. Tony Scott at The Luna Cinema at Kensington Palace (11 AUG 20:30).
- TOUCHING THE VOID d. Kevin Macdonald, 2003 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (11 AUG 17:45).
- The Blue Tick Festival (10 to 19 AUG).
- Also (06 to 12 AUG various): GOODFELLAS 35MM d. Martin Scorsese, 1990 at The Prince Charles (06 to 12 AUG various) // PROFILE d. Timur Bekmambetov, 2018 at Rich Mix (06 to 12 AUG various) // WRITING WITH FIRE d. Rintu Thomas & Sushmit Ghosh, 2021 (daily 06 to 12 AUG various).
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.