WEDNESDAY 12 JULY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
YONGARY, MONSTER FROM THE DEEP (Daekoesu Yonggari | 대괴수 용가리) d. Ki-duk Kim, 1967 + Intro, intermission, themed drinks & prize giveaways at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon (12 JUL 20:30) / Part of BAR TRASH – MONSTER MAYHEM!
“Directed by Ki-duk Kim, GREAT MONSTER YONGARY – to give the film its original Korean title – was produced to compete with GODZILLA’s global franchise dominance during the great monster boom of the 1960s. It’s full of the kind of practical suitmation and miniature visual effects you’d expect. The producers even recruited Japanese SFX technician Kenichi Nakagawa to shoot the miniature action sequences and GAMERA’s suit designer Masao Yagi, to build the spectacularly horny monster.”
“The film was a success domestically but sadly, the original Korean release is now considered partly lost as only a 48minute version survives. In a BAR TRASH first, we’re showing the American dubbed release – YONGARY, MONSTER FROM THE DEEP – in the best imported version we can find. Whilst YONGARY won’t ever feature amongst the hall of famers you’ll find elsewhere in MONSTER MAYHEM!, we know you’ll fall in love with this fire-breathing, dancing wannabe with a laser-firing nose horn.” (Token Homo)
BAR TRASH is a celebration of cult and curious cinema, hosted by Token Homo. All films screen with introductions, intermissions, prize giveaways, themed drinks and subtitles/captions (where possible!). Tickets from £3.
- A HOUSE MADE OF SPLINTERS d. Simon Lereng Wilmont, 2022 + Virtual Q&A with producer Darya Bassel, raising funds for the Leleka Foundation at The Garden Cinema (12 JUL 20:00).
- BROKER d. Kore-eda Hirokazu, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (12 JUL 20:00 / 16 JUL 17:00).
- DECODING TURNER: THE HIDDEN WORLD OF BRITAIN’S GREATEST PAINTER d. Sonia Anderson, 2023 at The Prince Charles (12 JUL 18:00).
- South by South: Memory short film programme at South London Gallery (12 JUL 19:00).
- SQUARING THE CIRCLE (THE STORY OF HIPGNOSIS) d. Anton Corbijn, 2022 + Q&A with Aubrey “Po” Powell at Olympic Studios (12 JUL 20:00).
- Classic Matinée: TO SIR WITH LOVE d. James Clavell, 1967 at Rio Cinema (12 JUL 14:30).
- WHILE WE WATCHED d. Vinay Shukla, 2022 + Q&A with the director & Ravish Kumar at Rio Cinema (12 JUL 18:30).
Check venues for full listings…
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – DEAD RECKONING PART ONE d. Christopher McQuarrie, 2023 (10 to 20 JUL).
ALFRED HITCHCOCK: ACT 2 – 1945 TO 1954 at The Garden Cinema
- NOTORIOUS d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 (12 JUL 15:30).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- MEMORIES d. Koji Morimoto, Tensai Okamura & Katsuhiro Otomo, 1995 + Intro by Ghibliotheque (12 JUL 20:45).
BAR TRASH – MONSTER MAYHEM! at Genesis Cinema & Rule Zero
- YONGARY, MONSTER FROM THE DEEP (Daekoesu Yonggari | 대괴수 용가리) d. Ki-duk Kim, 1967 + Intro, intermission, themed drinks & prize giveaways at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon (12 JUL 20:30).
- Presented by Token Homo.
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THERE’S A PLACE… at BFI Southbank
- THE MAN WHO WASN’T THERE d. Joel Coen, 2001 + Intro by Geoff Andrew, Programmer-at-Large (12 JUL 18:10).
THE CINEMA OF CHRISTOPHER NOLAN ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- DUNKIRK 35mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2017 (12 JUL 10:30).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- THE KID d. Charles Chaplin, 1921 (12 JUL 16:40).
DRAMA AND DESIRE: THE FILMS OF YOUSSEF CHAHINE at BFI Southbank & Ciné Lumière
- The Melodrama Of Life: DADDY AMIN aka Father Amin / Baba Amin d. Youssef Chahine, 1950 (12 JUL 20:30).
THE FILMS OF GRETA GERWIG at BFI Southbank
- MISTRESS AMERICA d. Noah Baumbach, 2015 (12 JUL 20:50).
GERWIG VS NOLAN at Picturehouse Cinemas
- LADY BIRD d. Greta Gerwig, 2017 (12 JUL various).
- INTERSTELLAR d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (12 JUL various).
PINK PALACE at Rio Cinema
- SLAVES OF NEW YORK d. James Ivory, 1989 + Intro/discussion in the basement bar (12 JUL 19:30).
PUSHER TRILOGY at The Prince Charles
- PUSHER III d. Nicolas Winding Refn, 2005 (12 JUL 18:15).
TWO BY EDWARD YANG at The Prince Charles
- A BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY d. Edward Yang, 1991 (12 JUL 12:00).
UN/SEEN SPECTRES at Barbican
- Two West African Films + EVA’S MAN d. Anita Addison, 1976 + Recorded intro by Awa Konaté (12 JUL 18:30).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- AS TEARS GO BY d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988 (12 JUL 21:00).
Check venues for full listings…
THE LUNA CINEMA at Kenwood NW3
- THE GREAT GATSBY (12 JUL 21:15).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- Ashes Of Time – Chinese Film Festival (07 to 09 JUL).
- The Earl’s Court International Film Festival Highlights (12 JUL).
- Focus Hong Kong (12 to 15 JUL).
- Queer Fest (13 to 16 JUL).
- Rob Knox London Film Festival (08 JUL).
- SAFAR Film Festival (29 JUN to 09 JUL).
- SoHome Horror Pride (29 JUN to 02 JUL – until 08 JUL online).
- Sundance Film Festival London (06 to 09 JUL).
CALENDAR GIRLS dirs Maria Loohufvud & Love Martinsen, 2022
Various venues, inc: Bertha DocHouse.
Also 07 to 13 JUL (various dates/times):
- SHABU d. Shamira Raphaëla, 2023 at: Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- SMOKING CAUSES COUGHING d. Quentin Dupieux, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Rio Cinema.
- WHERE IS THIS STREET? OR WITH NO BEFORE AND AFTER aka Onde Fica Esta Rua? Ou Sem Antes Nem Depois d. João Pedro Rodrigues & João Rui Guerra da Mata, 2022 at: ICA (from 13 JUL).
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.