WEDNESDAY 13 OCTOBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
TALKING ABOUT TREES d. Suhaib Gasmelbari, 2019 + Q&A with film critic Danny Leigh presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (13 OCT 20:00).
- “Once, they were acclaimed film directors; today they are virtually forgotten. Four members of the Sudanese Film Group decide that if the government will no longer let them make films, then at least they will try to show them. That means finding a venue, overcoming bureaucratic obstacles, and attracting a contemporary audience – all documented with humour and warmth on whatever devices come to hand.”
- A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT d. Ana Lily Amirpour, 2014 at The Prince Charles (13 OCT 18:10).
- A MOVING IMAGE d. Shola Amoo, 2016 at Genesis Cinema (13 OCT 21:00).
- DON’T LOOK NOW d. Nicolas Roeg, 1973 at The Prince Charles (13 OCT 12:30).
- DUNE d. David Lynch, 1984 at The Prince Charles (13 OCT 15:00).
- GUY SHERWIN + BILLY STEIGER + ILIA ROGATCHEVSKI (DJ) presented by The Thames Submarine at Cafe Ôtomo (13 OCT 19:30).
- HALLOWEEN d. David Gordon Green, 2018 at The Exhibit (13 OCT 20:00).
- HEDWIG & THE ANGRY INCH d. John Cameron Mitchell, 2001 + Live drag performance by I-Gemini, Wanda Whatever, & Lori Mae at The Karaoke Hole E8 (13 OCT 19:00 / Pay what you can option).
- KILL LIST d. Ben Wheatley, 2011 at Catford Mews (13 OCT 20:30).
- LES DIABOLIQUES d. Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1955 at Ciné Lumière (13 OCT 18:20).
- NORTH BY NORTHWEST d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1959 at The Birds (13 OCT 19:30 – FREE/Drinks & reservations packages available).
- Poetry + Film/Hack – ROCKS d. Sarah Gavron, 2019 + Live performance presented by Inua Ellams at Barbican (13 OCT 19:45).
- SABAYA d. Hogir Hirori, 2021 at Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (13 OCT 19:45).
- THE SHINING [UK Version] 35mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1980 at The Prince Charles (13 OCT 15:10).
- TALKING ABOUT TREES d. Suhaib Gasmelbari, 2019 + Q&A with film critic Danny Leigh presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (13 OCT 20:00).
- WHITE RIOT d. Rubikah Shah, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (13 OCT 20:00).
- THE HIDDEN LIFE OF TREES d. Jörg Adolph, 2020 presented online by Goethe-Institut London (13 OCT 19:00 – FREE).
- Banff Mountain Film Festival – London (11 to 19 OCT).
- BFI London Film Festival (06 to 17 OCT).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Wimbledon International Short Film Festival (09 OCT).
FEVER DREAM d. Claudia Llosa, 2021.
- Venues inc: Curzon Cinemas.
NO PLACE LIKE HOME d. Perry Henzell, 1975.
- Venues inc: Catford Mews.
PIER KIDS d. Elegance Bratton, 2019.
- Venues inc: ICA
- Also (08 to 14 OCT various dates/times): CONVERGENCE: COURAGE IN A CRISIS d. Orlando von Einsiedel, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // FATHER OF THE CYBORGS d. David Burke, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // FREAKSCENE : THE STORY OF DINOSAUR JR. d. Philipp Reichenheim, 2021 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles Cinema // HONEY CIGAR d. Kamir Aïnouz, 2020 at: ICA // I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO d. Raoul Peck, 2016 at: Catford Mews // MY LITTLE SISTER aka Schwesterlein d. Stéphanie Chuat & Véronique Reymond at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Curzon Cinemas // THE VIEWING BOOTH d. Ra’anan Alexandrowicz, 2019 at: ICA.
- Celebrate St. Brigid’s Day with Irish Film London (29 & 30 JAN 2022).
- Kennington Bioscope presents A SOUL IN TORMENT from 35mm at The Cinema Museum (02 FEB 2022).
- Kung Fu Cinema presents late-nite Kung Fu at Genesis Cinema (04 & 11 FEB 2022).
- Musical Sunday presents GYPSY at The Cinema Museum (23 JAN 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.