WEDNESDAY 14 JULY 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THE WITCHES OF THE ORIENT d. Julien Faraut, 2021 + Recorded Panel Discussion with the director, Manga expert Paul Gravett & Maria Bertelli, England volleyball player at Bertha DocHouse (14 JUL 18:30).
- “Meet the former players of the Japanese women’s volleyball team, known as the ‘Witches of the Orient’ for their seemingly supernatural powers on the courts – including a staggering 258-match winning streak. Now in their 70s, they reunite around a dinner table, sifting through the facts and fables of their careers – from the early days as a workers’ team at a textile factory in Osaka, up to their triumph at the 1964 Olympic Games in Tokyo.”
- 2046 4K d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 at ICA (14 JUL 20:50).
- A SUMMER’S TALE 35MM aka Conte d’été d. Éric Rohmer, 1996 at The Prince Charles (14 JUL 15:15).
- BLUE VELVET 35MM d. David Lynch, 1986 at The Prince Charles (14 JUL 14:40).
- BYE BYE MORONS aka Adieu les cons d. Albert Dupontel, 2020 preview for Bastille Day at Curzon Mayfair (14 JUL 18:20).
- DEMON SLAYER THE MOVIE: MUGEN TRAIN d. Haruo Sotozaki, 2020 at The Prince Charles (14 JUL 12:00).
- DON’T GO GENTLE : A FILM ABOUT IDLES d. Mark Archer, 2021 at The Prince Charles (14 JUL 18:30).
- DUNE 70MM d. David Lynch, 1984 at The Prince Charles (14 JUL 20:30).
- FALLEN ANGELS 4K aka Do lok tin si d. Wong Kar Wai, 1995 at BFI Southbank (14 JUL 14:30).
- GIDDY STRATOSPHERES d. Laura Jean Marsh, 2021 + Intro with cast & crew at Rio Cinema (14 JUL 18:30).
- HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH 35MM d. John Cameron Mitchell, 2011 at The Prince Charles (daily 09 to 15 JUL not 12 JUL various).
- Hidden Figures: Jacqueline Audry – OLIVIA d. Jacqueline Audry, 1951 + Intro by Dr Clara Bradbury-Rance at Barbican (14 JUL).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K aka Fa yeung nin wah d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 at ICA (14 JUL 16:00).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K aka Fa yeung nin wah d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 at BFI Southbank (14 JUL 20:45).
- LADY BOSS: THE JACKIE COLLINS STORY d. Laura Fairrie, 2021 + Recorded Q&A with Joan Collins at Olympic Studios (14 JUL 20:30).
- THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS 35MM d. Orson Welles, 1942 + Recorded Intro by Geoff Andrew, Programmer-at-Large at BFI Southbank (14 JUL 18:00).
- MINARI d. Lee Isaac Chung, 2021 presented by Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (14 JUL 19:45).
- MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE d. Stephen Frears, 1985 at Everyman Cinemas (14 JUL various).
- THE NAMESAKE 35MM d. Mira Nair, 2006 + live spoken-word performance at BFI Southbank (14 JUL 17:40).
- OKJA d. Bong Joon-ho, 2017 at The Prince Charles (14 JUL 18:00).
- PERSIANS LESSONS d. Vadim Perelman, 2020 at JW3 (14 JUL 20:00).
- THE TWO OF THEM/TWO WOMEN 4K aka Ők ketten d. Márta Mészáros, 1977 at BFI Southbank (14 JUL 20:50).
- THE WITCHES OF THE ORIENT d. Julien Faraut, 2021 + Recorded Panel Discussion with the director, Manga expert Paul Gravett & Maria Bertelli, England volleyball player at Bertha DocHouse (14 JUL 18:30).
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY d. Bryan Singer, 2018 at Bar Elba SE1 (14 JUL 21:00).
- THE BREAKFAST CLUB d. John Hughes, 1985 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (14 JUL 21:15).
- CRUELLA d. Craig Gillespie, 2021 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (14 JUL 21:15).
- THE GOONIES d. Richard Donner, 1985 at The Luna Cinema at Marble Hill (14 JUL 21:15).
- Chinese Visual Festival (15 to 25 JUL).
- Doc’n Roll Festival – Summer Screenings (JUN & JUL).
- Kendal Mountain Festival UK Tour (15 JUL).
- Queer East – Pride Season (JUN to JUL).
- SAFAR Film Festival: Generational Encounters in Arab Cinema (01 to 17 JUL).
- Also (other venues may be available!): OEDORA d. Judith Abensour, 2021 at ICA // THE LETTER d. Maia Lekow & Christopher King, 2019 at Bertha DocHouse // MOSLEY: IT’S COMPLICATED d. Michael Shevloff, 2020 at The Prince Charles // NASHVILLE d. Robert Altman, 1975 at Catford Mews // THE SURROGATE d. Jeremy Hersh, 2020 at Barbican / Picturehouse Cinemas // TRAINSPOTTING d. Danny Boyle, 1996 at Catford Mews // THE TRUFFLE HUNTERS Michael Dweck & Gregory Kershaw, 2020 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / Curzon Cinemas / Olympic Studios.
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.