WEDNESDAY: What’s on in London today [15/02/23]
WEDNESDAY 15 FEBRUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
PITFALL aka Otoshiana dir Hiroshi Teshigahara, 1962 presented by Electric Frog Film Club at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 19:00).
“The first of Electric Frog’s monthly film screenings, where each month a movie is picked by an EF writer. To kick us off we have Teshigahara’s PITFALL, chosen by Charlie Mitchell. A man wanders into a seemingly deserted town with his young son in search of work. But after a bit of bad luck, he joins the town’s population of lost souls.” (Electric Frog)
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 at The David Lean (15 FEB 19:30).
- Classic Matinee: A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH d. Michael Powell, 1946 at ActOne Cinema (15 FEB 14:15).
- ATOMIC HOPE d. Frankie Fenton, 2022 + Panel Discussion at Bertha DocHouse (15 FEB 18:20).
- BLUE JEAN dir Georgia Oakley, 2022 + Panel discussion with producer Hélène Sifre, Laila El-Metoui (Founder of Pride in Education), & Sarah Drummond (Director of DON’T SAY GAY) at The Garden Cinema (15 FEB 19:00).
- LOVE AND BASKETBALL d. Gina Prince-Bythewood, 2000 presented by BBE Movie Club at Bubba Oasis N1 (15 FEB 19:00 – FREE).
- Pink Palace: NIGHTHAWKS d. Ron Peck, 1978 + Intro/discussion with Carla Mitchell from Four Corners in the basement bar at Rio Cinema (15 FEB 20:00).
- PITFALL aka Otoshiana dir Hiroshi Teshigahara, 1962 presented by Electric Frog Film Club at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 19:00).
- SWEETHEART d. Marley Morrison, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (15 FEB 20:00 / 19 FEB 17:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- WHEN HARRY MET SALLY 35mm d. Rob Reiner, 1989 (15 FEB 20:45).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 15 FEB).
- TITANIC 3D d. James Cameron, 1997/2023 (10 to 15 FEB).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Professional Lives: LIVING 35mm aka Ikiru d. Akira Kurosawa, 1952 (15 FEB 20:15).
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 23 FEB).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- THE WAGES OF FEAR d. Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1953 (15 FEB 12:00).
BAR TRASH: TRASH OR TREASURE? at Rule Zero & Genesis Cinema
- THE TINGLER d. William Castle, 1959 + Intro, intermission, themed drinks & prize giveaways at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon (15 FEB 20:30 – Screening with an unauthorised, low-budget, DIY version of shocking seat system, PERCEPTO!).
- Presented by Token Homo.
CARL MAYER MINI SEASON at Austrian Cultural Forum
- THE LAST LAUGH aka Der letzte Mann d. F. W. Murnau, 1924 (15 FEB 19:00 – FREE!).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- SORCERER d. William Friedkin, 1977 (15 FEB 15:15).
- EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE d. Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert, 2022 (15 FEB 17:45).
COEN BROTHERS ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- RAISING ARIZONA 35mm d. Joel Coen, 1986 (15 FEB 10:30).
DRUMROLL FOR FORTUITOUS HEROES at Ciné Lumière
- TINTIN & THE LAKE OF SHARKS d. Raymond Leblanc, 1972 (15 FEB 14:30).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 63= GOODFELLAS 4K d. Martin Scorsese, 1990 (15 FEB 20:10).
- Re-release: 41= RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 23 FEB).
TRINTIGNANT: THE NON-CONFORMIST at Ciné Lumière
- THE GREAT SILENCE d. Sergio Corbucci, 1968 (15 FEB 18:00).
VALENTINE’S at The Cinema In The Power Station
- WHEN HARRY MET SALLY d. Rob Reiner, 1989 (15 FEB 20:15).
VALENTINE’S at The Prince Charles
- COMRADES : ALMOST A LOVE STORY d. Peter Chan, 1996 (15 FEB 18:00).
- WHEN HARRY MET SALLY 35mm d. Rob Reiner, 1989 (15 FEB 20:45).
WOMEN SHAPING THE WORLD at Ciné Lumière
- CLÉO DE 5 À 7 d. Agnès Varda, 1961 + Intro by Ginette Vincendeau (15 FEB 18:00).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (10 to 16 FEB – mostly 4K).
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (15 FEB 13:00).
- Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour (16 to 25 FEB).
BLUE JEAN dir Georgia Oakley, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema
WOMEN TALKING dir Sarah Polley, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas
Also 10 to 16 FEB (various dates/times):
- MYANMAR DIARIES d. The Myanmar Film Collective, 2022 at: ICA.
- NELLY AND NADINE d. Magnus Gertten, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- NOTHING LASTS FOREVER d. Jason Kohn, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- TITANIC 3D dir James Cameron, 1997 at: BFI IMAX / The Cinema In The Power Station / Everyman Cinemas.
- TOWN OF STRANGERS d. Treasa O’Brien, 2021 at: ICA.
- Queer East Festival’s boundary-pushing LGBTQ+ programme returns to venues across London (18 to 30 APR 2023)
- Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club presents a spectacular series of 16mm screenings at The Castle Cinema (booking to 28 MAY 2023)
- Bruce LaBruce at Rich Mix presented by Fringe!, DMovies & Doesn’t Exist (07 & 18 APR 2023)
- Malarkey Film Festival presents CREEPUSCULA at Phoenix Cinema (05 APR 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.