WEDNESDAY 16 FEBRUARY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
IT FELT LIKE LOVE d. Eliza Hittman, 2013 (16 FEB 20:30) / Part of SEEN & HEARD at BFI Southbank.
“Lila is a shy and awkward 14-year-old who’s desperate to have her first sexual experience. While third-wheeling with her pretty, sexually active friend Chiara and Chiara’s new boyfriend, Lila determinedly decides that this will be the summer she loses her virginity. The debut film from Eliza Hittman – the talented director behind cinematic coming-of-age tales NEVER RARELY SOMETIMES ALWAYS and BEACH RATS – is a sensitive and startlingly authentic portrait of sexual awakening.” (BFI)
- ALI & AVA d. Clio Barnard, 2021 + Recorded Q&A with cast & crew at The Castle Cinema (16 FEB 21:00).
- AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS d. Frank Coraci, 2004 presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas Church W5 1QG (16 FEB 15:00).
- BELLE: THE DRAGON AND THE FRECKLED PRINCESS d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 at The David Lean (16 FEB 19:30 / 17 FEB 14:30 & 19:30).
- BRIEF ENCOUNTER d. David Lean, 1954 at Riverside Studios (16 FEB 12:30).
- ELLIE & ABBIE (& ELLIE’S DEAD AUNT) d. Monica Zanetti, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (16 FEB 20:00 / 20 FEB 17:00).
- Classic Matinee: FRIED GREEN TOMATOES AT THE WHISTLE STOP CAFE d. Jon Avnet, 1991 at Rio Cinema (16 FEB 14:30).
- JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 at JW3 (16 FEB 16:00).
- THE PROPOSITION 4K d. John Hillcoat, 2006 + Q&A with the director, producer Cat Villiers & actors Emily Watson & Danny Huston at BFI Southbank (16 FEB 18:00).
- THE REAL CHARLIE CHAPLIN d. Peter Middleton & James Spinney, 2021 Preview + Q&A with the directors at Bertha DocHouse (16 FEB 18:20).
- STEELERS – THE WORLD’S FIRST GAY RUGBY CLUB d. Eammon Ashton-Atkinson, 2020 + Short: ON THE SEVENTH DAY d. Ali Grant, 2019 + Q&A presented by Newham Community Cinema & WOFFF for LGBT History Month at Stratford East Picturehouse (16 FEB 20:00 – FREE!).
- SYLVIA PLATH: INSIDE THE BELL JAR d. Teresa Griffiths, 2018 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Sebright Arms (16 FEB 19:30).
4K PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (16 FEB 12:30).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LAST NIGHT IN SOHO 35mm d. Edgar Wright, 2021 (until 17 FEB various).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm & 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 03 MAR various).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: LGBT HISTORY MONTH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): DESERT HEARTS d. Donna Deitch, 1985 + Intro by BFI Head Librarian Emma Smart (16 FEB 18:20); ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER aka Todo sobre mi madre d. Pedro Almodóvar, 1999 (16 FEB 21:00).
CHER ON SCREEN at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MASK d. Peter Bogdanovich, 1985 (16 FEB 18:20).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT: FOR THE LOVE OF FILMS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): Re-release: JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 (04 to 17 FEB various).
LOVE STORIES at Genesis Cinema
- Includes (check venue for listings): THE WATERMELON WOMAN d. Cheryl Dunee, 1996 (16 FEB 21:05).
SEEN & HEARD at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): IT FELT LIKE LOVE d. Eliza Hittman, 2013 (16 FEB 20:30).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): PONYO d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2008 (from 12 FEB); KIKI’S DELIVERY SERVICE d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1989 (from 12 FEB).
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): SPIRITED AWAY d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2001 (16 FEB 20:45).
THREE BY F. GARY GRAY at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): SET IT OFF d. F. Gary Gray, 1996 (16 FEB 21:00).
TWO BY RYÛSUKE HAMAGUCHI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): WHEEL OF FORTUNE AND FANTASY d. Ryûsuke Hamaguchi, 2021 (11 FEB to 02 MAR various).
VALENTINES at Everyman Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): CASABLANCA 35mm d. Michael Curtiz, 1942 by 69 Colebrooke Row at Everyman Screen On The Green (16 FEB 17:30).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (16 FEB 12:30).
We’ve got nothing… what did we miss?
- Also 11 to 17 FEB (various dates/times): DOWNFALL: THE CASE AGAINST BOEING d. Rory Kennedy, 2022 at: Everyman Broadgate // THE FORGOTTEN ONES d. Michale Boganim, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // THE POWER OF THE DOG 35mm d. Jane Campion, 2021 at: The Prince Charles (from 17 FEB to 03 MAR).
- Oliver Dickens presents two films by Kira Muratova to raise funds for Ukraine at Rio Cinema & Ciné Lumière (07 & 14 JUN 2022).
- Lost Vampires presents BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm + Q&A with Phil Daniels at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 2022).
- Science Fiction Theatre returns with three sci-fi classics this summer at The Castle Cinema (10 JUN to 12 AUG 2022).
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE FLY at The Castle Cinema (24 JUN 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.