WEDNESDAY 17 NOVEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE EAGLE 16mm d. Clarence Brown, 1925 + Live piano accompaniment by John Sweeney presented by Kennington Bioscope at The Cinema Museum (17 NOV 19:30).
- “Rudolph Valentino’s film career went into hiatus during a legal battle with Famous Players-Lasky and his ‘comeback’ in 1924’s MONSIEUR BEAUCAIRE fared badly outside of metropolitan venues. Valentino’s position was re-established by his first film under a new deal with United Artists, THE EAGLE, directed by Clarence Brown. Set in pre-Revolutionary times, this adaptation of Alexander Pushkin’s novel Dubrovsky (published posthumously in 1841), sees Valentino’s character assume an alter ego as a result of his involvement with powerful female royalty. Vilma Banky and Louise Dresser play the women vying for his attentions. The support programme will include CLEOPATRA AND HER EASY MARK (1923), a 4 minute skit on Valentino with piano accompaniment by Colin Sell. This was shot in Kelley Color, a two colour subtractive system invented by William Van Doren Kelley.”
- Classic Matinee: THE COURIER d. Dominic Cooke, 2020 at Rio Cinema (17 NOV 14:30).
- DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS d. Carl Franklin, 1995 + Intro by Empire Magazine Contributing Editor Amon Warmann at BFI Southbank (17 NOV 18:00).
- THE EAGLE 16mm d. Clarence Brown, 1925 + Live piano accompaniment by John Sweeney presented by Kennington Bioscope at The Cinema Museum (17 NOV 19:30).
- ELEGANT BEAST 4k (aka The Graceful Brute) d. Yûzô Kawashima, 1962 at ICA (17 NOV 20:50).
- THE FLAVOUR OF GREEN TEA OVER RICE aka Ochazuke no aji d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1952 at Picturehouse Cinemas (17 NOV various).
- THE LITTLE THINGS d. John Lee Hancock, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (17 NOV 20:00).
- PRIDE AND PREJUDICE 35mm d. Joe Wright, 2005 at The Prince Charles (17 NOV 15:20).
- ROSE PLAYS JULIE d. Joe Lawlor & Christine Molloy, 2021 at Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (17 NOV 19:45).
- SCARRED HEARTS d. Radu Jude, 2016 at ICA (17 NOV 20:15).
- SEVEN SAMURAI aka Shichinin no Samurai d. Akira Kurosawa, 1954 at BFI Southbank (until 18 NOV various).
- TO WONG FOO, THANKS FOR EVERYTHING! JULIE NEWMAR d. Beeban Kidron, 1995 presented by Pinc. at The Castle Cinema (17 NOV 18:45).
- TOP HAT d. Mark Sandrich, 1935 presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas Church (17 NOV 14:00).
- THE UNTOUCHABLES 35mm d. Brian De Palma, 1987 at The Prince Charles (17 NOV 18:00).
- VITA & VIRGINIA d. Chanya Button, 2018 presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas Church (17 NOV 20:15).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (28 OCT to 14 NOV).
- EFG London Jazz Festival (12 to 21 NOV).
- French Film Festival (03 NOV to 15 DEC).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest (09 to 14 NOV).
- Irish Film Festival London (17 to 21 NOV).
- Italian London Short Film Festival (14 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (04 to 19 NOV).
- Made In Prague Festival (07 NOV to 10 DEC).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Ocean Film Festival (16 to 24 NOV).
- UK Green Film Festival (03 to 14 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (04 to 18 NOV).
- Also (12 to 18 NOV various dates/times): AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON d. John Landis, 1981 at: The Prince Charles // THE COLOUR ROOM d. Claire McCarthy, 2021 at: Everyman Muswell Hill // CRY MACHO d. Clint Eastwood, 2021 at: Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas // DAYS OF BEING WILD d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 at: The Prince Charles // MALMKROG d. Cristi Puiu, 2020 at: ICA // MOTHERING SUNDAY d. Eva Husson, 2021 at: Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios // NAKED 4k d. Mike Leigh, 1993 at: BFI Southbank // NATURAL LIGHT d. Dénes Nagy, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Curzon Cinemas // PROCESSION d. Robert Greene, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // TICK, TICK…BOOM! d. Lin-Manuel Miranda, 2021 at: The Prince Charles.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- BIG BOYS DON’T CRY + Q&A raising funds for NAPAC at Everyman Borough Yards (03 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.