WEDNESDAY 19 APR 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
STROLLING PLAYERS 35mm + GOING STRAIGHT ds. Karl Grune, 1925 + Chester M. Franklin & Sidney Franklin, 1916 + Intro by Michelle Facey & Live piano accompaniment by Cyrus Gabrysch & Colin Sell, presented by Kennington Bioscope at The Cinema Museum (19 APR 19:30).
“Strolling Players / Komödianten (1925) Germany. Directed by Karl Grune. 35mm BFI print – only known version to survive. Written by Felix Salten (the author of Bambi), and photographed by Karl Hasselmann, it stars Lya de Putti, Eugen Klöpfer and Fritz Rasp.”
“A band of strolling players arrive in the village of Gotten. Their crude performance of Faust arouses derision of the audience to the great distress of their leading lady, Lydia Welling (Lya de Putti), an aspiring young actress. In contrast, a successful actor of the metropolis, Alex Swinborne (Eugen Klöpfer), finishes a season and leaves for a holiday…” (Kennington Bioscope)
- ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT d. Edward Berger, 2022 at The David Lean (19 APR 19:00).
- An Evening of POCC Shorts short film programme + Q&A with filmmakers, presented by Dark Matter & BFI Network at Picturehouse Central (19 APR 18:00).
- THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED: THE STORY OF DON MCLEAN’S AMERICAN PIE d. Mark Moormann, 2022 + Q&A with producer Spencer Proffer at Olympic Studios (19 APR 19:40).
- FORAGERS + Short: SOUP OVER BETHLEHEM ds. Jumana Manna, 2023 + Larissa Sansour, 2006, presented by London Palestine Film Festival at Bertha DocHouse (19 APR 18:20).
- FULL CIRCLE: THE HAUNTING OF JULIA d. Richard Loncraine, 1977 + Q&A with the director & Simon Fitzjohn, BFI FLIPSIDE UHD/Blu-ray launch at BFI Southbank (19 APR 18:10).
- NEVER FORGET TIBET d. Jean-Paul Mertinez, 2023 at various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema (19 APR 18:45); ArtHouse Crouch End (19 APR 18:30); Genesis Cinema (19 APR 18:30); Picturehouse Cinemas (19 APR various).
- PRAY FOR OUR SINNERS d. Sinéad O’Shea, 2023 + Q&A with the director, presented by Irish Film London at Curzon Soho (19 APR 18:20).
- Preview: SICK OF MYSELF d. Kristoffer Borgli, 2022 + Q&A with actor Kristine Kujath Thorp at Barbican (19 APR 18:15).
- STROLLING PLAYERS 35mm + GOING STRAIGHT ds. Karl Grune, 1925 + Chester M. Franklin & Sidney Franklin, 1916 + Intro by Michelle Facey & Live piano accompaniment by Cyrus Gabrysch & Colin Sell, presented by Kennington Bioscope at The Cinema Museum (19 APR 19:30).
- TORI AND LOKITA d. Jean-Pierre Dardenne & Luc Dardenne, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (19 APR 20:00 / 23 APR 17:00).
Check venues for full listings…
16MM SCREENINGS at The Castle Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): 12 ANGRY MEN 16mm d. Sidney Lumet, 1957 (19 APR 19:30).
- Presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club.
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- HERO aka Ying xiong 35mm d. Yimou Zhang, 2002 (19 APR 13:15).
- SERIAL MOM 35mm d. John Waters, 1994 (19 APR 15:35).
- JURASSIC PARK 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1993 (19 APR 20:35).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOUR AMONGST THIEVES d. John Francis Daley & Jonathan Goldstein, 2023 (until 20 APR).
- THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE d. Aaron Horvath & Michael Jelenic, 2023 (until 22 APR).
- ANIME: SUZUME [Subtitled] d. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 (14 to 27 APR);
A LI’L BIT OF LUIS BUÑUEL at The Prince Charles
- THE PHANTOM OF LIBERTY aka Le fantôme de la liberté d. Luis Buñuel, 1974 (19 APR 18:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- THE PORTRAIT OF A LADY d. Jane Campion, 1996 + Intro (19 APR 17:50).
CELEBRATING QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- REBEL DYKES d. Harri Shanahan & Siana Williams, 2021 (19 APR 20:00 + Recorded Q&A with the directors).
THE CINEMA OF WES ANDERSON ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS 35mm d. Wes Anderson, 2001 (19 APR 10:30).
GINGER ROGERS: ALL THAT SASS at BFI Southbank
- PRIMROSE PATH 35mm d. Gregory La Cava, 1940 (19 APR 20:50).
- Re-release: TOP HAT d. Mark Sandrich, 1935 (07 to 20 APR).
- LIBERTÉ d. Albert Serra, 2019 + Q&A with the director at ICA (19 APR 18:30).
OUTSIDERS AND EXILES: THE FILMS OF JERZY SKOLIMOWSKI at BFI Southbank
- DEEP END d. Jerzy Skolimowski, 1970 (19 APR 20:55).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at Ciné Lumière
- #23 – PLAYTIME d. Jacques Tati, 1967 (19 APR 18:00).
TECHNOLOGY ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière
- PLAYTIME d. Jacques Tati, 1967 (19 APR 18:00).
TI WEST’S X AND PEARL at The Prince Charles
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (19 APR 13:30).
WUXIA SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- HERO aka Ying xiong 35mm d. Yimou Zhang, 2002 (19 APR 13:15).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (14 to 23 APR).
- Queer East (18 to 30 APR).
Also 14 to 20 APR (various dates/times):
- CAIRO CONSPIRACY dir. Tarik Saleh, 2022 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios.
- RAGING BULL dir. Martin Scorsese, 1980 at: BFI / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Riverside Studios.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.