WEDNESDAY 19 JULY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH aka The Smog Monster (ゴジラ対ヘドラ | Gojira tai Hedora) d. Yoshimitsu Banno, 1971 + Intro & intermission, presented by Token Homo at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon (19 JUL 20:30) / Part of BAR TRASH – MONSTER MAYHEM!
“An ever evolving alien life-form arrives to consume Earth’s rampant pollution. Spewing mists of sulphuric acid and corrosive sludge, neither humanity or Godzilla may be able to defeat this toxic menace.”
“GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH aka The Smog Monster (1971) was the 11th spawning of Godzilla and possibly the most critically derided (to that point…). The big guy had by now transformed into a full-blown defender of the Earth – rather than its avenging destroyer – and goes into battle with shape-shifting/flying toxic sludge. Controversially, Godzilla even flies himself thanks to the power of his atomic ray… “
“The film – directed by Yoshimitsu Banno, with special effects by Teruyoshi Nakano – is a psychedelic trip complete with go-go dancers, fish-head hallucinations, split-screens, hand-drawn animation, leaps between black & white and colour film, jarring sequences of gore, and even a song to save the earth. You’ll either love it or hate it… you already know where we stand.” (Token Homo)
- THE ADVENTURES OF PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT d. Stephan Elliott, 1994 + Intro/discussion with Nick Walker, presented by Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (19 JUL 18:20).
- BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT 35mm d. Fritz Lang, 1956 presented by Kennington Noir at The Cinema Museum (19 JUL 19:30).
- Crossings: Afro-Brazilian Women Filmmakers short film programme at Embassy Of Brazil in London (19 JUL 18:00 – FREE!).
- Diverse Voices In Environmental Storytelling + Q&A short film programme presented by The Video Consortium London at The Castle Cinema (19 JUL 18:30).
- FULL TIME d. Eric Gravel, 2021 at The David Lean (19 JUL 19:30).
- LUNANA: A YAK IN THE CLASSROOM d. Pawo Choyning Dorji, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (19 JUL 20:00 / 23 JUL 17:00).
- Minute Shorts, Ecole Kourtrajme and Beach Boys Africa Present the All Yours Event Series short film programme at Genesis Cinema (19 JUL 18:30).
- Experimenta: Nico Night Part 1 SOLITUDE d. Nina Danino, 2022 + The director in conversation (19 JUL 18:15); Nico Night Part 2 THE INNER SCAR aka La Cicatrice Intérieure d. Philippe Garrel, 1972 at BFI Southbank (19 JUL 20:30).
- SAMURAI COP dir Amir Shervan, 1991 interactive screening + cabaret presented by Witch Of Popcorn at Folklore Hoxton (19 JUL 19:30).
- Classic Matinée: VALENTINO d. Irwin Winkler, 1977 at ActOne Cinema (19 JUL 14:30).
- WHERE WERE YOU IN 1992? + Conversation with Amanda Egbe, Rastko Novaković & Paul Halliday at Barbican (19 JUL 18:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- THE COLOR OF MONEY 35mm d. Martin Scorsese, 1986 (19 JUL 15:15).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – DEAD RECKONING PART ONE d. Christopher McQuarrie, 2023 (10 to 20 JUL).
ALFRED HITCHCOCK: ACT 2 – 1945 TO 1954 at The Garden Cinema
- DIAL M FOR MURDER d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1954 (19 JUL 15:30).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- THE TUNNEL TO SUMMER, THE EXIT OF GOODBYES d. Tomohisa Taguchi, 2022 (14 to 20 JUL various).
BAR TRASH – MONSTER MAYHEM! at Genesis Cinema & Rule Zero
- GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH aka The Smog Monster (ゴジラ対ヘドラ | Gojira tai Hedora) d. Yoshimitsu Banno, 1971 + Intro, intermission, themed drinks & prize giveaways at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon (19 JUL 20:30).
- Presented by Token Homo.
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THERE’S A PLACE… at BFI Southbank
- THE STRAIGHT STORY 35mm d. David Lynch, 1999 + Intro by (19 JUL 18:10).
- THE MAN WHO WASN’T THERE d. Joel Coen, 2001 (19 JUL 20:45).
BRUCE LEE AT GOLDEN HARVEST at The Prince Charles
- THE WAY OF THE DRAGON d. Bruce Lee, 1972 (19 JUL 20:45).
THE CINEMA OF CHRISTOPHER NOLAN ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- TENET 35mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2020 (19 JUL 10:30).
DRAMA AND DESIRE: THE FILMS OF YOUSSEF CHAHINE at BFI Southbank
- The Melodrama Of Life: DAWN OF A NEW DAY aka Fagr Yom Guedid d. Youssef Chahine, 1964 (19 JUL 20:30).
THE FILMS OF WES ANDERSON at The Prince Charles
- ASTEROID CITY d. Wes Anderson, 2023 (14 to 20 JUL).
GERWIG VS NOLAN at Picturehouse Cinemas
- LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 (19 JUL various).
- DUNKIRK d. Christopher Nolan, 2017 (19 JUL various).
MICHELLE YEOH SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- POLICE STORY 3: SUPERCOP d. Stanley Tong, 1992 (19 JUL 15:30).
PINK PALACE at Rio Cinema
- MAKE ME FAMOUS d. Brian Vincent, 2021 (19 JUL 19:30).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- 2046 d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 (19 JUL 12:40 -4K).
YÖRGOSBORD at Picturehouse Cinemas
- DOGTOOTH aka Kynodontas d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2009 (19 JUL various).
Check venues for full listings…
THE LUNA CINEMA at Marble Hill
- ELVIS (19 JUL 21:15).
THE LUNA CINEMA at Clapham Common
- CLUELESS (19 JUL 21:15).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- Arthouse Short Film Festival (20 JUL).
- Focus Hong Kong (12 to 15 JUL).
- International Animal Future Film Festival (14 to 29 JUL).
- Queer Fest (13 to 16 JUL).
Also 14 to 20 JUL (various dates/times):
- PARIS MEMORIES d. Alice Winocour, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- THE TUNNEL TO SUMMER, THE EXIT OF GOODBYES d. Tomohisa Taguchi, 2022 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / / The Prince Charles.
- WHERE IS THIS STREET? OR WITH NO BEFORE AND AFTER aka Onde Fica Esta Rua? Ou Sem Antes Nem Depois d. João Pedro Rodrigues & João Rui Guerra da Mata, 2022 at: ICA.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.