THURSDAY 22 JULY 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
BRAZIL 16MM d. Terry Gilliam, 1985 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (22 JUL 19:30 / 25 JUL 13:45 / 01 AUG 13:45).
- “Low-level bureaucrat Sam Lowry (Jonathan Pryce) escapes the monotony of his day-to-day life through a recurring daydream of himself as a virtuous hero saving a beautiful damsel. Investigating a case that led to the wrongful arrest and eventual death of an innocent man instead of wanted terrorist Harry Tuttle (Robert De Niro), he meets the woman from his daydream (Kim Greist), and in trying to help her gets caught in a web of mistaken identities, mindless bureaucracy and lies.”
- “Ciné-Real is one of the only film clubs in the UK to exclusively play films from original 16mm prints. They are a non-profit organisation which aims to unite film makers and enthusiasts in their appreciation of classic film.”
- ADOPTION aka Örökbefogadás d. Márta Mészáros, 1975 at BFI Southbank (22 JUL 20:30).
- ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER aka Todo sobre mi madre d. Pedro Almodóvar, 1999 at BFI Southbank (22 JUL 14:30).
- BRAZIL 16MM d. Terry Gilliam, 1985 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (22 JUL 19:30 / 25 JUL 13:45 / 01 AUG 13:45).
- Breaking Down at Barbican Cinema (22 JUL 18:30).
- THE CAT O’ NINE TAILS d. Dario Argento, 1971 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker presented by Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (22 JUL 18:25).
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS 4K aka Chung Hing sam lam d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 at BFI Southbank (22 JUL 14:40).
- THE CURE – ANNIVERSARY 1978-2018 LIVE IN HYDE PARK d. Tim Pope, 2019 presented by Pitchblack Pictures at Rio Cinema (22 JUL 20:45).
- DAYS OF BEING WILD 4K aka Ah Fei jing juen d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 at BFI Southbank (22 JUL 20:45).
- DON’T GO GENTLE : A FILM ABOUT IDLES d. Mark Archer, 2021 at The Prince Charles (22 JUL 13:25).
- GET THE HELL OUT d. Wang I-Fan, 2020 at Genesis Cinema (22 JUL 21:10) / Part of Chinese Visual Festival.
- THE GRANDMASTER aka Yi dai zong shi d. Wong Kar Wai, 2013 at BFI Southbank (22 JUL 20:50).
- THE HAND [Extended Cut] d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 at BFI Southbank (22 JUL 18:30 & 18:50).
- HAPPY TOGETHER 4K aka Chun gwong cha sit d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 at ICA (22 JUL 20:50).
- MAGNOLIA 35MM d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999 at The Prince Charles (22 JUL 20:00).
- MANDABI d. Ousmane Sembène, 1968 + Intro by Kaleem Aftab at Riverside Studios (22 JUL 19:45).
- PAULINE AT THE BEACH aka Pauline à la plage d. Éric Rohmer, 1983 at The Prince Charles (22 JUL 18:10).
- PRETTY WOMAN d. Garry Marshall, 1990 presented by Crofton Park Pictures at Rivoli Ballroom (22 JUL 19:30).
- THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW d. Jim Sharman, 1975 + Drag Q&A with Quiches Lorraine & Crystal Lubrikunt at Everyman Chelsea (22 JUL 20:00).
- THE WITCHES OF THE ORIENT d. Julien Faraut, 2021 + Recorded Panel Discussion with the director, Manga expert Paul Gravett & England volleyball player Maria Bertelli at Barbican (22 JUL 14:45).
- A QUIET PLACE II d. John Krasinski, 2020 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (22 JUL 21:00).
- A STAR IS BORN d. Bradley Cooper, 2018 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (22 JUL 20:15).
- CRUEL INTENTIONS d. Roger Kumble, 1999 at Bar Elba SE1 (22 JUL 21:00).
- FROZEN d. Chris Buck & Jennifer Lee, 2013 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (22 JUL 17:30).
- JOKER d. Todd Phillips, 2019 at The Luna Cinema at Clapham Common (22 JUL 21:15).
- PRETTY WOMAN Garry Marshall, 1990 at The Luna Cinema at Kenwood House (22 JUL 21:15).
- TOP GUN d. Tony Scott, 1986 at The Luna Cinema at Hampton Court Palace (22 JUL 21:15).
- TOP GUN d. Tony Scott, 1986 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (22 JUL 21:00).
- Black Lens Film Festival (16 to 19 JUL).
- Chinese Visual Festival (15 to 25 JUL).
- Queer East – Pride Season (JUN to JUL).
- SAFAR Film Festival: Generational Encounters in Arab Cinema (01 to 17 JUL).
SUMMER OF SOUL (… OR, WHEN THE REVOLUTION COULD NOT BE TELEVISED) d. Questlove, 2021
- Also (daily 16 to 22 JUL various): BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA d. John Carpenter, 1986 at The Prince Charles // BYE BYE MORONS aka Adieu les cons d. Albert Dupontel, 2020 at Ciné Lumière // NOWHERE SPECIAL d. Uberto Pasolini, 2020 at The Castle Cinema / Everyman Cinemas / The Lexi Cinema / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Watermans // THE STORY OF LOVERS ROCK d. Menelik Shabazz, 2011 at Picturehouse Cinemas (various) // TOP GUN d. Tony Scott, 1986 at The Prince Charles // TWO OF US d. Filippo Meneghetti, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / JW3 / Regent Street / Rio Cinema.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.