WEDNESDAY 22 FEBRUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
PARTY MONSTER d. Fenton Bailey & Randy Barbato, 2003 presented by FAB Film Club at The Old Nuns Head (22 FEB 19:45).
“Based on the true story of Michael Alig, a Club Kid party organiser whose life was sent spiralling down when he bragged on television about killing his drug dealer and roommate.”
TRASH! CAMP!! POPCORN!!! Join us on the last Wednesday of the month for another FAB movie at the Old Nuns Head! Tickets: £5
- 500 DAYS OF SUMMER d. Marc Webb, 2009 presented by BBE Movie Club at Bubba Oasis (22 FEB 19:00).
- THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN d. Martin McDonagh, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (22 FEB 20:00 / 26 FEB 17:00).
- THE BIG COMBO d. Joseph H Lewis, 1955 presented by Kennington Noir at The Cinema Museum (22 FEB 19:30).
- BROKER d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2022 + Recorded Q&A with the director at: Everyman Cinemas (22 FEB various).
- CAMDEN d. Devorah Baum & Josh Appignanesi, 2023 + Q&A with the directors at Curzon Camden (22 FEB 18:20).
- THE GARDEN d. Derek Jarmnan, 1991 for LGBT History Month at Genesis Cinema (22 FEB 18:45).
- THE LAST EXECUTION d. Franziska Stünkel, 2021 at Goethe-Institut (22 FEB 19:00).
- London Mountain Film Festival – Run and Adventure Films Night 1at Old Street Brewery & Taproom Hackney Wick (22 FEB 19:00).
- PARTY MONSTER d. Fenton Bailey & Randy Barbato, 2003 presented by FAB Film Club at The Old Nuns Head (22 FEB 19:45).
- PRIDE d. Matthew Warchus, 2014 presented by Inkluder CIC for LGBT History Month at Phoenix Cinema (22 FEB 20:30).
- TÁR d. Todd Field, 2022 at The David Lean (22 FEB 19:00).
- Women Over 50 Film Festival short film programme for LGBT History Month at St Margaret’s House (22 FEB 19:00 – FREE!).
Check venues for full listings…
16MM SCREENINGS at The Castle Cinema
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- HOT FUZZ 35mm d. Edgar Wright, 2007 (22 FEB 15:15).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 3D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (17 to 23 FEB).
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 2D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (17 to 23 FEB).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Family: A.K. d. Chris Marker, 1985 (22 FEB 20:50).
ANNIVERSARY SEASON at Everyman Belsize Park
- LOVE IS THE DEVIL d. John Maybury, 1998 (22 FEB 18:00).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- OLDBOY aka Oldeuboi d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 (17 to 23 FEB).
A TASTE OF QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
BAR TRASH: TRASH OR TREASURE? at Rule Zero & Genesis Cinema
- THE THING WITH TWO HEADS d. Lee Frost, 1972 + Intro, intermission, themed drinks & prize giveaways at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon (22 FEB 20:30).
- Presented by Token Homo.
BRING ME THE FILMS OF SAM PECKINPAH at The Prince Charles
- MAJOR DUNDEE d. Sam Peckinpah, 1965 (22 FEB 18:15).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE d. Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert, 2022 (22 FEB 12:15 – 4K).
COEN BROTHERS ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- MILLER’S CROSSING 35mm d. Joel Coen, 1990 (22 FEB 10:30).
EXPERIMENTS IN FILM at Barbican
- THE PLAINS d. David Easteal, 2022 + Q&A with the director (22 FEB 18:30).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 34 L’ATALANTE d. Jean Vigo, 1934 (22 FEB 14:30).
- 36= M aka Mörder unter uns d. Fritz Lang, 1931 (22 FEB 18:00).
- 54= THE APARTMENT 4K d. Billy Wilder, 1960 (22 FEB 20:35).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (22 FEB 21:00).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- 2046 d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 (22 FEB 18:00 – 4K).
YOU BEAUTIES: NEW AUSTRALIAN CINEMA at BFI Southbank
- SHADOW d. Bruce Gladwin, 2022 + Short: CALL HISTORY d. Lillian Paterson, 2020 (22 FEB 18:20).
- Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour (16 to 25 FEB).
Also 17 to 23 FEB (various dates/times):
- THE INSPECTION d. Elegance Bratton, 2022 at: Barbican./ Picturehouse Cinemas.
- MAKE ME FAMOUS d. Brian Vincent, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / ICA.
- SHARPER d. Benjamin Caron, 2023 at: Everyman Cinemas.
- THE STRAYS d. Nathaniel Martello-White, 2023 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.