WEDNESDAY 22 SEPTEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
TOKYO RIDE d. Ila Bêka & Louise Lemoine, 2020 + Zoom Q&A with the directors at Barbican (22 SEP 20:40) / Part of Architecture On Film.
- “Filmmakers Ila Bêka and Louise Lemoine (KOOLHAAS HOUSELIFE) embark on an intimate guided tour of Tokyo, as passengers of architect Ryue Nishizawa and his temperamental vintage Alfa Romeo. An urban road movie, extensive interview and diary of a day, this film offers a portrait of both Japan’s capital and one of its most celebrated architects.”
- A BRIXTON TALE d. Darragh Carey & Bertrand Desrochers, 2021 + Q&A with the directors at Riverside Studios (22 SEP 19:50).
- AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 at The Prince Charles (22 SEP 12:20).
- THE BIG HEAT d. Fritz Lang, 1953 + Intro by Simran Hans at BFI (22 SEP 18:00).
- BLAZING SADDLES d. Mel Brooks, 1974 at BFI (22 SEP 18:15).
- BREATHLESS aka A bout de souffle d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1959 at Ciné Lumière (22 SEP 15:45 & 18:20).
- FAUCI d. John Hoffman & Janet Tobias, 2021 at ICA (22 SEP 14:35).
- KILL BILL: VOLUME 1 & 2 – DOUBLE BILL 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2003 & 2004 at The Prince Charles (22 SEP 18:15).
- MLK/FBI d. Sam Pollard, 2021 at Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (22 SEP 19:45).
- PAPICHA d. Mounia Meddour, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (22 SEP 20:00).
- RICHARD PRYOR… HERE AND NOW 35mm d. Richard Pryor, 1983 at BFI (22 SEP 20:45).
- SICARIO d. Denis Villeneuve, 2015 at BFI (22 SEP 20:40).
- TOKYO RIDE d. Ila Bêka & Louise Lemoine, 2020 + Zoom Q&A with the directors at Barbican (22 SEP 20:40) / Part of Architecture On Film.
- MARX d. Olaf Nicolai, 2020 – 24hr screening at ICA (21-22 SEP) / Timed entry / A ticket for any timed entry grants you access to the entire film but reserving a ticket for a specific time will help us regulate the screenings. / For overnight sessions, water and facilities will be provided.
- CANDYMAN d. Nia DaCosta, 2021 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (22 SEP 20:00).
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY d. James Gunn, 2014 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (22 SEP 20:00).
- Banglaverse Film Festival (16 to 18 SEP).
- CASA Festival (01 to 29 SEP).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- Japanese Avant-garde & Experimental Film Festival (16 to 19 SEP at Barbican / 20 to 30 SEP online).
- Leytonstone Loves Film 2021 (15 to 19 SEP).
- Little Wing Film Festival (21 to 26 SEP).
- London Mountain Film Festival (18 SEP).
- London Palestine Film Pre-Festival Programme (21 to 23 SEP).
- London Spanish Film Festival (23 to 29 SEP).
- Open City Documentary Festival (08 to 14 SEP in venues / 13 to 23 SEP online).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (09 to 19 SEP).
- Queer East Film Festival (15 to 26 SEP).
- Unrestricted View Horror Film Festival (20 to 25 SEP).
- Also (17 to 23 SEP various dates/times): A BRIXTON TALE d. Darragh Carey & Bertrand Desrochers, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Catford Mews / Genesis Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Riverside Studios // AREN’T YOU HAPPY? d. Susanne Heinrich, 2018 at: ICA // FAUCI d. John Hoffman & Janet Tobias, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // GUNPOWDER MILKSHAKE d. Navot Papushado, 2021 at: Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / The Prince Charles (35mm) / Rich Mix // KAAMELOTT: FIRST INSTALMENT aka Kaamelott: Premier Volet d. Alexandre Astier, 2021 at: Ciné Lumière // MANDIBLES aka Les Mandibules d. Quentin Dupieux, 2020 at: Ciné Lumière / ICA // NINJABABY d. Yngvild Sve Flikke, 2021 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas // PRISONERS OF THE GHOSTLAND d. Sion Sono, 2020 at: Genesis Cinema / The Prince Charles // ROSE PLAYS JULIE d. Joe Lawlor & Christine Molloy, 2019 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / BFI / Chiswick Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Riverside Studios.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.