WEDNESDAY 25 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THIS IS NOT A BURIAL, THIS IS A RESURRECTION d. Lemohang Jeremiah Mosese, 2019 at Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (25 AUG 19:45).
- “Jury Award winner at Sundance in 2020, THIS IS NOT A BURIAL is set amongst the mountains of Lesotho, where Mantoa (Mary Twala), an 80-year-old widow winds up her affairs and makes arrangements for her burial. But when her village is threatened with resettlement due to the construction of a reservoir, she finds a new will to live and ignites a spirit of resistance within her community.”
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70MM d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 ‘unrestored print’ at The Prince Charles (25 AUG 20:00).
- A FAREWELL TO ARMS d. Frank Borzage, 1932 + Recorded Intro by Geoff Andrew, Programmer-at-Large at BFI (25 AUG 18:00).
- THE BATTLE OF ALGIERS aka La battaglia di Algeri d. Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966 at BFI (25 AUG 14:30).
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI 4K d. Joel Coen, 1998 at BFI (25 AUG 14:15).
- BYE BYE MORONS aka Adieu les cons d. Albert Dupontel, 2020 at Ciné Lumière (25 AUG 16:20).
- CINEMA PARADISO 4K aka Nuovo Cinema Paradiso d. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988 at BFI (25 AUG 20:35).
- FOUR ADVENTURES OF REINETTE AND MIRABELLE 35MM d. Éric Rohmer, 1987 at The Prince Charles (25 AUG 17:30).
- NOW, VOYAGER d. Irving Rapper, 1942 at BFI (daily until 26 AUG various times).
- THE ORPHANAGE aka Parwareshghah d. Shahrbanoo Sadat, 2019 at ICA (25 AUG 16:30).
- Pears 15th Anniversary Celebration short film programme + panel Q&A with filmmakers at JW3 (25 AUG 19:30) / Part of UKJF: Back To The Cinema.
- POOL OF LONDON d. Basil Dearden, 1950 at BFI (25 AUG 20:50).
- SALÒ, OR THE 120 DAYS OF SODOM aka Salò o Le 120 giornate di Sodoma d. Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1975 at BFI (25 AUG 17:50).
- THE STAR 35MM d. Stuart Heisler, 1952 at BFI (25 AUG 20:45).
- THIS IS NOT A BURIAL, THIS IS A RESURRECTION d. Lemohang Jeremiah Mosese, 2019 at Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (25 AUG 19:45).
- WOLF AND SHEEP d. Shahrbanoo Sadat, 2016 at ICA (25 AUG 18:30).
- SWEAT d. Magnus Von Horn, 2020 at Watermans (24 AUG 19:00) followed by free online discussion with Michael Brooke (25 AUG 20:00).
- BRIDESMAIDS d. Paul Feig, 2011 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (25 AUG 20:15).
- Floating Points – PROMISES: THROUGH CONGRESS + REFLECTIONS: MOJAVE DESERT at at Barbican Sculpture Court (25 AUG 20:30).
- JUDAS & THE BLACK MESSIAH d. Shaka King, 2021 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (25 AUG 20:00).
- THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD d. Armando Iannucci, 2019 presented by Stow Film Lounge at Forty Hall Gardens EN2 (25 AUG 19:30).
- SOME LIKE IT HOT d. Billy Wilder, 1959 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (25 AUG 17:30).
- ZOLA d. Janicza Bravo, 2020 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (25 AUG 20:00).
A SONG CALLED HATE d. Anna Hildur Hildibrandsdóttir, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse (daily 20 to 26 AUG).
- Also (20 to 26 AUG various dates/times): NEW ORDER aka Nuevo orden d. Michel Franco, 2020 at ArtHouse Crouch End / The Castle Cinema / Ciné Lumière (from 25 AUG) / ICA // THE NIGHT HOUSE d. David Bruckner, 2020 at Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema // SABAYA d. Hogir Hirori, 2021 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Picturehouse Cinemas // UNDERGROUND aka Souterrain d. Sophie Dupuis, 2020 at Curzon Cinemas.
- Leytonstone Pop-Up Cinema presents THE ICE KING at Leytonstone Library (02 FEB 2022).
- Lambeth Libraries presents a FREE! screening of REBEL DYKES + Discussion (04 FEB 2022).
- Celebrate St. Brigid’s Day with Irish Film London (29 & 30 JAN 2022).
- Kennington Bioscope presents A SOUL IN TORMENT from 35mm at The Cinema Museum (02 FEB 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.