WEDNESDAY: What’s on in London today [26/04/23]
WEDNESDAY 26 APRIL 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
VENDREDI SOIR aka Friday Night d. Claire Denis, 2002 presented by Jellied Reels at The Castle Cinema (26 APR 19:00).
“Unfolding almost wordlessly over the course of a Friday night in a gridlocked Paris (thanks to a transport strike, of course), Laure (Valérie Lemercier) packs up her apartment and prepares to move in with a man. As she sits in traffic, Jean (Vincent Lindon) appears in the headlights. She spends the night with him.”
“With Claire Denis’ (Beau Travail, White Material, High Life) typical magnetism, Vendredi Soir is delicately poised and considered without feeling contrived. Beautifully shot by cinematographer Agnès Godard, the camera floats through traffic jams, along hotel corridors and over entangled limbs with a tactile grace. A deft and defiant reinvention of the fairytale urban love story.” (Jellied Reels)
- ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 for Alien Day at Electric Cinemas (26 APR various).
- Alien Day Double-Bill: ALIEN + ALIENS at Picturehouse Cinemas (26 APR various).
- ALLELUJAH d. Richard Eyre, 2022 at The David Lean (26 APR 14:30 HOH & 19:30).
- CLARA SOLA d. Nathalie Álvarez Mesén, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (26 APR 20:00 / 30 APR 17:00).
- DROP DEAD GORGEOUS d. Michael Patrick Jann, 1999 presented by FAB Film Club at The Old Nuns Head (26 APR 19:45).
- Pink Palace: GATEWAYS GRIND d. Jacquie Lawrence, 2022 + Intro/discussion with Arabella Kennedy-Compston in the basement bar at Rio Cinema (26 APR 19:30).
- JASON MOLINA – FAREWELL TRANSMISSION presented by Deeper Into Movies & Secretly Canadian at Bush Hall (26 APR 19:30).
- RODEO d. Lola Quivoron, 2023 + Recorded Q&A, presented by Reclaim The Frame at Genesis Cinema (26 APR 20:55).
- VENDREDI SOIR aka Friday Night d. Claire Denis, 2002 presented by Jellied Reels at The Castle Cinema (26 APR 19:00).
- THE WATER RATS d. Jillian Edelstein & Greig Coetzee + Intro by director Jillian Edelstein at The Lexi Cinema (26 APR 18:30).
Check venues for full listings…
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (21 to 26 APR).
- THE THREE MUSKATEERS: D’ARTAGNAN d. Martin Bourboulon, 2023 (21 to 27 APR).
- ALIEN DAY: LV-426 – ALIEN + ALIENS [Theatrical Cuts] (26 APR 18:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- CODE UNKNOWN 35mm d. Michael Haneke, 2000 + Intro by Jelena Milosavljevic, Events Programmer (26 APR 18:15).
CELEBRATING QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE d. Stephen Frears, 1987 (26 APR 15:00).
- REBEL DYKES d. Harri Shanahan & Siana Williams, 2021 (26 APR 18:00 + Recorded Q&A with the directors).
THE CINEMA OF WES ANDERSON ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU 35mm d. Wes Anderson, 2004 (26 APR 10:30).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- ALIEN [THEATRICAL CUT] d. Ridley Scott, 1979 (26 APR 12:00).
- ALIENS d. James Cameron, 1986 (26 APR 14:45).
IN FOCUS: ALBERT SERRA at Ciné Lumière & ICA
- PACIFICTION: TOURMENT SUR LES ÎLES d. Albert Serra, 2022 at Ciné Lumière (21 to 27 APR various).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
- ALIEN [Theatrical Version] + ALIENS [Director’s Cut] (26 APR 18:00).
- Chronic Youth Film Festival (22 to 23 APR).
- Kino Short Film Festival (23 APR to 01 MAY).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- London Bengali Film Festival (26 to 30 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (14 to 23 APR).
- New Cross & Deptford Free Film Festival (21 to 30 APR).
- Queer East (18 to 30 APR).
A THOUSAND AND ONE dir A.V. Rockwell, 2023
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / The Cinema In The Arches / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas
EVIL DEAD RISE dir Lee Cronin, 2023
- Various venues, inc: Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas
HOW TO BLOW UP A PIPELINE dir Daniel Goldhaber, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema
THE THREE MUSKETEERS: D’ARTAGNAN dir Martin Bourboulon, 2023
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema
Also 21 to 27 APR (various dates/times):
- A CLEVER WOMAN d. Jon Sanders, 2022 at: ICA.
- FREE MONEY d. Lauren DeFilippo & Sam Soko, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- PACIFICTION: TOURMENT SUR LES ÎLES d. Albert Serra, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas.
- ROBERTA d. Antonino D’Ambrosio, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- SICK OF MYSELF dir Kristoffer Borgli, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / ICA / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema.
- Pushkin House presents WITNESSING HISTORY: FILMS BY SERGEI LOZNITSA at venues across London (02 to 10 JUN 2023)
- Exploding Cinema presents a night of short films at The Cinema Museum (10 JUN 2023).
- Saraband presents Queer Reflections on Horror + JENNIFER’S BODY at Rio Cinema (08 JUN 2023).
- Tibet Film Festival presents BALLOON in honour of Pema Tseden at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.