WEDNESDAY 27 OCTOBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE HOUSE OF TRUBNAYA aka Dom na Trubnoy d. Boris Barnet, 1928 + Supporting programme + Live piano accompaniment presented by Kennington Bioscope at The Cinema Museum (27 OCT 19:30).
- “THE HOUSE OF TRUBNAYA – known also in English as The House on Trubnaya Street and in the Latin alphabet by the original Russian, Dom na Trubnoy – is noted for its avant-garde sets, film-makers’ visual gags and humour drawn from situation and character. In this tale of what might be called a Soviet Cinderella, a rural girl hired by a Moscow couple as domestic dogsbody turns out to have political ambitions.”
- THE ADDAMS FAMILY VALUES d. Barry Sonnenfeld, 1993 at Backyard Cinema (27 OCT 20:00).
- A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT d. Ana Lily Amirpour, 2014 presented by No Bollox Film Club at The Castle Cinema (27 OCT 18:45).
- Alternative Night of Experimental Film short film programme at The Fighting Cocks Bar & Venue (27 OCT 17:30 – FREE!).
- ANOTE’S ARK d. Matthieu Rytz, 2018 at Bertha DocHouse (27 OCT 14:00).
- AZOR d. Andreas Fontana, 2021 preview at ICA (27 OCT 20:45).
- The Black Arts Movement on Film + Discussion with Amanda Holiday, Richard Hylton & Xavier Pillai at BFI Southbank (27 OCT 20:40).
- CHINATOWN 4k d. Roman Polanski, 1974 at BFI (27 OCT 14:15).
- THE CROW d. Alex Proyas, 1994 at Rivoli Ballroom (27 OCT 19:30).
- DAUGHTERS d. Maria Speth, 2014 at Goethe-Institut London (27 OCT 19:00 – Also available FREE online).
- THE DEVIL RIDES OUT d. Terence Fisher, 1968 + Short films by DaveBaby presented by Underground England & Rebel Reel Cine Club at Strongroom Bar & Kitchen Courtyard (27 OCT 19:00).
- DIRTY HARRY d. Don Siegel, 1971 + Recorded intro by Hannah Hamad at BFI (27 OCT 18:00).
- THE EXORCIST 35mm d. William Friedkin, 1973 at The Prince Charles (27 OCT 20:30).
- FRENZY 35mm d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1972 at BFI (27 OCT 20:45).
- HOUSE aka Hausu d. Nobuhiko Obayashi, 1977 at The Prince Charles (27 OCT 21:00).
- THE HOUSE OF TRUBNAYA aka Dom na Trubnoy d. Boris Barnet, 1928 + Supporting programme + Live piano accompaniment presented by Kennington Bioscope at The Cinema Museum (27 OCT 19:30).
- JENNIFER’S BODY d. Karyn Kusama, 2009 presented by TRAPPED at The Real Al Company & Taproom (27 OCT 18:00 – FREE!).
- THE KEEP 35mm d. Michael Mann, 1983 at The Prince Charles (27 OCT 18:10).
- LIMBO d. Ben Sharrock, 2021 at Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (27 OCT 19:45).
- NOVEMBER d. Rainer Sarnet, 2017 at Catford Mews (27 OCT 20:30).
- THE OMEN d. Richard Donner, 1976 at The Exhibit (27 OCT 20:00).
- PSYCHO d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1960 at The Birds (27 OCT 19:30 – FREE/Drinks packages available).
- SHIP OF FOOLS d. Stanley Kramer, 1965 at Ciné Lumière (27 OCT 17:40).
- Short Sharp Shocks II + Intro, short film programme & blu-ray launch at BFI Southbank (27 OCT 18:10).
- THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS d. Jonathan Demme, 1991 at The Prince Charles (27 OCT 12:30).
- SOCRATES d. Alexandre Moratto, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (27 OCT 20:00).
- SMOG TOWN d. Meng Han, 2019 + Discussion presented by Lau China Institute at King’s College London (27 OCT 17:30).
- SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET d. Tim Burton, 2007 at Ricco Lounge (27 OCT 20:30).
- THRONE OF BLOOD aka Kumonosu-jô d. Akira Kurosawa, 1957 at BFI (27 OCT 20:30).
- WHITE CUBE d. Renzo Martens, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse (27 OCT 20:45).
- Brazil Indigenous Film Festival (22 to 24 OCT).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (28 OCT to 14 NOV).
- London East Asia Film Festival (21 to 31 OCT).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Raindance Film Festival (27 OCT to 06 NOV).
- Sci-Fi-London 21 (19 to 24 OCT).
- Short Com Film Festival (28 OCT 20:30).
DUNE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2021.
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / BFI IMAX / The Castle / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Kino Digital / The Lexi / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Regent Street Cinema / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
SCREAM 35mm d. Wes Craven, 1996.
- Also (22 to 28 OCT various dates/times): PLAYLIST d. Nine Antico, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas // SMOG TOWN d. Meng Han, 2019 at: Bertha DocHouse // WHITE CUBE d. Renzo Martens, 2020 at: ICA.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.