[PATRON EXCLUSIVE: MARCH 2020] – In this continuing series of posts, we give our monthly subscribers at Patreon exclusive access to our scrapbook of coming attractions. Unlock this & other great rewards at patreon.com/radiantcircus.
By RADIANT CIRCUS
This is a ‘dynamic post’ meaning it will be updated as new events get spotted and research begins for another weekly screen digest. So keep coming back when you fancy topping up your knowledge about what’s on London’s alternative screens. I’ll create new posts for APRIL and beyond as soon as there starts to be enough content to draw to your attention. Hopefully this ever-expanding ‘scrapbook’ approach will mean you always know what’s on where. See you in darkness…
Richard – Barker-In-Chief, RADIANT CIRCUS
COVID-19 UPDATE [posted 16 MAR]: Please note that events are being postponed and venues closed as organisers take public health precautions. Not all of the events listed below will be going ahead. Please check with organisers and/or consult our weekly SCREEN GUIDES for further details.
SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (this month by date)
DAISIES d. Vera Chytilová, 1966 presented by Zodiac Film Club at The Curtain (13 MAR 19:00 – NB Please be aware that tickets are not available on the door, and that ticket sales end 24 hours before the event).
FRIDAY THE 13th 40th Anniversary d. Sean S. Cunningham, 1980 at The Prince Charles (13 MAR 18:30).
HUSTLERS d. Lorene Scafaria, 2019 + Short: NELA presented by Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (13 MAR 19:40 – PATRON EXCLUSIVE CODE ‘CIRCUS19’ AT BOX OFFICE).
Bollyhorror: VEERANA d. Shyam Ramsay & Tulsi Ramsay, 1988 presented by World Wide Weird! at The King & Queen (14 MAR 18:00 – FREE!/Donation requested for Macmillan Cancer Support).
The Live Ghost Tent – Quarterly Meeting of the Laurel & Hardy Society at The Cinema Museum (14 MAR 15:00).
MAIDEN d. Alex Holmes, 2018 + Q&A with Tracey Edwards + guests at British Museum (14 MAR 15:00).
ROCKS d. Sarah Gavron, 2019 + Q&A with the director presented by Birds’ Eye View #ReclaimTheFrame at Everyman Broadgate (14 MAR 16:00).
WESTWORLD d. Michael Crichton, 1973 + Discussion of Postmodernism presented by Film School at The Cinema Museum (17 MAR 19:00).
WOMAN AT WAR d. Benedikt Erlingsson, 2018 presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (17 MAR 20:00).
SHOOTING THE MAFIA d. Kim Longinotto, 2019 + Recorded Intro by the director presented by Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (18 MAR 19:40 – PATRON EXCLUSIVE CODE ‘CIRCUS19’ AT BOX OFFICE).
CESARE DEVE MORIRE aka Caesar Must Die d. Paolo Taviani & Vittorio Taviani, 2012 presented by Highgate Film Society at Highgate Literary & Scientific Institution (19 MAR 20:00).
DOGS DON’T WEAR PANTS d. J.-P. Valkeapä, 2019 + Q&A with the director (19 MAR 18:30).
WEEKEND 35mm d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1967 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker (Rochester Kino) presented by Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (19 MAR 18:35).
FIRE WILL COME d. Oliver Laxe, 2019 + Q&A with the director at ICA (20 MAR 18:30).
MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS d. Vincente Minnelli, 1944 + Short: BACK IN MY BODY presented by Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (20 MAR 19:40 – PATRON EXCLUSIVE CODE ‘CIRCUS19’ AT BOX OFFICE).
SOL DE OTOÑO aka Autumn Sun d. Eduardo Mignogna, 1996 + Intro by Adam Feinstein part of Argentinian Film Season at The Cinema Museum (20 MAR 19:30).
FAMILY ROMANCE, LLC d. Werner Herzog, 2019 + Q&A with the director presented by Freud Museum London at Rio Cinema (21 MAR 15:00).
- Read our writeup about the film from #LFF2019.
FEMINIST RE-IMAGININGS AT THE RIO, 1980-2020 PROGRAMME 2: Protest, Solidarity and Power presented by Club des Femmes at Rio Cinema (21 MAR 13:30).
FIRE WILL COME d. Oliver Laxe, 2019 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Bloomsbury (21 MAR 15:00).
HEAVEN WITHOUT EARTH d. Giovanni Davide Maderna & Sara Pozzoli, 2020 + Q&A with the directors & Eugenio Maderna World Premiere at ICA (21 MAR 18:20).
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA d. Rupert Julian & Lon Chaney, 1925 + Live Organ Accompaniment by Henry Tozer presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas Church Ealing (21 MAR 19:30).
Director Talk with Maeda Tetsu presented by the Japan Foundation at Soho Hotel (23 MAR 18:30 – FREE!).
«I INVITE YOU TO MY EXECUTION» d. Nino Kirtadze, 2019 + Q&A with the director at Pushkin House (24 MAR 19:00).
Unruly Bodies: Short Films + Intro/Performance by Eljae presented by Dispatch FMI at Genesis Cinema (24 MAR 21:00).
VILLETTA CON OSPITI d. Ivano de Matteo, 2020 presented by CinemaItaliaUK at Regent Street Cinema (24 MAR 19:30).
WOMAN AT WAR d. Benedikt Erlingsson, 2018 presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (24 MAR 20:30).
THE PAINTED BIRD d. Václav Marhoul, 2019 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Bloomsbury (25 MAR 18:00).
Odyssey Film Club: MONOS d. Alejandro Landes, 2019 + Discussion presented by Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (25 MAR 19:45 – PATRON EXCLUSIVE CODE ‘CIRCUS19’ AT BOX OFFICE).
JAWS 16mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1975 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (26 MAR 19:30 / 29 MAR 14:00 / 01 APR 19:30).
N.B. “This print is 40 years old and has few imperfections… but Umit the projectionist thinks it adds to it!”
THE RED SHOES d. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1948 presented by Sydenham Film Club at Sydenham Centre (26 MAR 19:30).
UnderDocs: THE CAVE d. Feras Fayyad, 2019 + Short: SARAH presented by Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (26 MAR 19:40 – PATRON EXCLUSIVE CODE ‘CIRCUS19’ AT BOX OFFICE).
Moving Image Salon featuring films by Wolfgang Lehmann & Telemach Wiesinger, and Sebastian Wiedemann at FVU (27 MAR 15:00).
Pay As You Feel: GIRLHOOD d. Céline Sciamma, 2014 presented by Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (27 MAR 19:45 – PATRON EXCLUSIVE CODE ‘CIRCUS19’ AT BOX OFFICE).
YELLOW SUBMARINE d. George Dunning, 1968 + Intro/Podcast with Dr. Jingan Young presented by Fantasy / Animation at The Cinema Museum (27 MAR 19:30).
ARNIE ALL NIGHTER 5 Films, 1 Ticket at The Prince Charles (28 MAR 21:15).
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET VHS d. Wes Craven, 1984 presented by London Video Club at Deptford Cinema (28 MAR 19:30).
NIGHT SHIFT 35mm d. Ron Howard, 1982 presented by The Celluloid Sorceress at The Cinema Museum (28 MAR 15:30).
PINK FLAMINGOS (Uncut) d. John Waters, 1972 + Q&A with Mink Stole presented by And What? Queer Arts Festival + Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest at Rio Cinema (28 MAR 15:00).
GOOD MANNERS aka As Boas Maneiras d. Marco Dutra & Juliana Rojas, 2017 presented by The Vito Project at The Cinema Museum (29 MAR 18:30).
- Read our writeup about the film from #LFF2017.
ALMOST FAMOUS 35mm d. Cameron Crowe, 2000 presented by The Celluloid Sorceress + Truman’s at Genesis Cinema (30 MAR 21:00 + FREE! pint of something Truman’s).
NEVER TOO YOUNG TO DIE d. Gil Bettman, 1986 + Intro by The Celluloid Sorceress presented by Crap Film Club at The Book Club (31 MAR 19:00).
RAFIKI d. Wanuri Kahiu, 2018 presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (31 MAR 20:00).
TRANSIT d. Christian Petzold, 2018 presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (31 MAR 20:30).
SEASON UPDATES // MARCH
BEST OF THE DECADE at The Prince Charles (MAR to AUG):
“We bring back some of our favourite films released in the last decade; 2010 to 2019!” Includes:
- A QUIET PLACE d. John Krasinski, 2018 + Short: DOUBLE TAP (15 MAR 20:45); LOCKE d. Steven Knight, 2013 (16 MAR 18:25); THE LAST BLACK MAN IN SAN FRANCISCO d. Joe Talbot, 2019 (17 MAR 18:05); ROMA d. Alfonso Cuarón, 2018 (22 MAR 17:45); FORCE MAJEURE d. Ruben Östlund, 2014 (26 MAR 20:55); and, BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 (30 MAR 20:15).
CULTURE SHOCK: DAVID LYNCH at Picturehouse (MAR to APR):
- BLUE VELVET d. David Lynch, 1986 (16 MAR – various venues/times); DUNE d. David Lynch, 1984 (23 MAR – various venues/times); and, THE ELEPHANT MAN 40th Anniversary Screening d. David Lynch, 1980 (30 MAR – various venues/times).
KOREN FILM NIGHTS: ON THE FRONT LINE at Korean Cultural Centre UK (MAR to JUN – FREE!):
“Marking the seventieth anniversary of the beginning of the Korean War (1950-53) with 8 carefully selected titles from South Korea, the US and UK. Each one shedding light on one of the most important events in Korean history and collective memory.” Includes:
- THE MARINES WHO NEVER RETURNED d. Lee Man-hee, 1963 (19 MAR 19:00 – FREE!).
LEXI FILM SCHOOL: SPRING TERM at The Lexi (16 MAR to 04 MAY):
“Join us at your neighbourhood film school, where we bring you a programme of lost gems, under-rated masterpieces and world cinema classics. All are welcome!” Includes:
- LOSING GROUND d. Kathleen Collins, 1982 + Talk by Tega Okiti (16 MAR 18:30); ROCKS d. Sarah Gavron, 2019 + Talk by the director & screenwriter Theresa Ikoko (23 MAR 18:30); and, A TASTE OF HONEY d. Tony Richardson, 1961 + Talk by Helen de Witt (30 MAR 18:30).
WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH at DocHouse (MAR):
- TONI MORRISON: THE PIECES I AM d. Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, 2019 (until 19 MAR/Check venue for details); WOMEN’S DAY d. Dolya Gavanski, 2019 (08 MAR 15:55 / 12 MAR 16:20); YOURS IN SISTERHOOD d. Irene Lusztig, 2018 (14 MAR 16:30 & 17 MAR 18:20); THE DISAPPEARANCE OF MY MOTHER d. Beniamino Barrese, 2019 (15 MAR 16:00); and, RADIO SILENCE d. Juliana Fanjul, 2019 (18 MAR 16:30 / 29 MAR 18:30).
COMING SEASONS // APRIL+
AUTISM AND CINEMA: AN EXPLORATION OF NEURODIVERSITY at Barbican (02 to 29 APR):
- “This season debates new ideas arising from the relationship between autism and cinema.”
CLINT EASTWOOD at BFI Southbank (APR):
- “A season of the actor-director’s finest films and most iconic performances.”
EXPLICIT at Deptford Cinema (29 APR to 26 AUG):
- THE IDIOTS d. Lars von Trier, 1998 (29 APR 19:30); STRANGER BY THE LAKE d. Alain Guiraudie, 2013 (27 MAY 19:30); NYMPHOMANIAC VOL I & II DIRECTOR’S CUT d. Lars von Trier, 2013 (27 JUN 16:30); SHORTBUS d. John Cameron Mitchell, 2006 (29 JUL 19:30); and, LOVE d. Gaspar Noé, 2015 (26 AUG 19:30).
FOCUS ON: RAVI SHANKAR at BFI Southbank (APR):
- “To mark the centenary of the birth year of musician Ravi Shankar, his daughter Anoushka Shankar has curated a selection of films that explore the master of Indian raga.”
SOUTH X SOUTH SEOUL at Screen25 Cinema (15 APR to 12 JUN):
- “South Norwood welcomes a season of sumptuous South Korean cinema with Screen25’s inaugural South x South Seoul (SxSS) series! We will play host to four absorbing narratives of class conflict, each complete with thrills, chills and tantalising twists set across two centuries in East Asia.”
THIRST: FEMALE DESIRE ON SCREEN at BFI Southbank (APR):
- “From matinee idols to strippers and teen crushes to dangerous liaisons, we explore the female gaze in cinema.”
> FILM FESTIVALS are listed in our 2020 calendar.
NEW RELEASES* (by date)
AND THEN WE DANCED (Peccadillo), BACURAU (MUBI), CALM WITH HORSES (Altitude), CUNNINGHAM (Dogwoof), THE ELEPHANT MAN 40th Anniversary 4K Restoration (StudioCanal), MISBEHAVIOUR (Disney), RUN (Verve)
- THE GODFATHER 35mm d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1972 at The Prince Charles (13 to 19 MAR – Some digital/Check venue).
- THE GODFATHER: PART II 35mm d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1974 at The Prince Charles (24 to 30 APR).
ASTRONAUT (Parkland), CLIMBING BLIND (Jonny Tull), DOGS DON’T WEAR PANTS (Anti-Worlds), FIRE WILL COME (New Wave), THE GREAT BUSTER – A CELEBRATION (Blue Dolphin), THE JESUS ROLLS (Blue Finch), RADIOACTIVE (StudioCanal), THE TRUTH (Curzon Artifical Eye)
AMBER AND ME (Amber Content)
THE AUSTRALIAN DREAM (Dogwoof), KOKO-DI KOKO-DA (Picturehouse Entertainment), THE PAINTED BIRD (Eureka), THE PERFECT CANDIDATE (Modern), SYSTEM CRASHER (606 Distribution), VIVARIUM (Vertigo).
- MAD MAX: FURY ROAD d. George Miller, 2015 (27 MAR to 02 APR – Regular & ‘Black & Chrome’ editions/Check venue).
*Some new release data provided by BFI Film Audience Network.
Subscribe & support
“Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London)
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our unique listings emailed as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) keep listing far into the future, 2) expand our content to explore more indie screen events, & 3) recruit & reward new writers. Our target in 2020? One hundred new monthly subscribers supporting what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.