MONDAY 17 APR 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
FATAL ATTRACTION d. Adrian Lyne, 1987 + Panel discussion with Team Picturehouse moderated by Micallar Walker, founder of Dark Matter Agency at Picturehouse Central (17 APR 18:30).
“A married man’s one night stand comes back to haunt him when that lover begins to stalk him and his family. This screening will be followed by a panel talk discussing the problematic disparity between the portrayal of the male and female lead characters, the depiction of mental illness on screen and how the film stands up today, thirty-six years since its release in cinemas.”
The talk will be moderated by Micallar Walker, founder of Dark Matter Agency and panelists include members of the Picturehouse Cinemas team – Clare Binns – Managing Director, Sam Clements – Head of Marketing, Freyja Pakarinen – Senior Programmer, and Aleah Scott – Audience Development and Diaspora Programmer.
- FATAL ATTRACTION d. Adrian Lyne, 1987 + Panel discussion with Team Picturehouse moderated by Micallar Walker, founder of Dark Matter Agency at Picturehouse Central (17 APR 18:30).
- GAINSBOURG: A HEROIC LIFE d. Joann Sfar, 2010 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (17 APR 19:30).
- GOD’S PETTING YOU d. Jamie Patterson, 2022 + Q&A with the director & actors George Webster & Skye Lourie at Genesis Cinema (17 APR 18:30).
- THE HEROIC TRIO aka Dung fong sam hap d. Johnnie To, 1993 at Picturehouse Cinemas (17 APR various).
- PAIN AND GLORY aka Dolor y gloria d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2019 presented by Spanish Marks at India Club Lounge-Bar (17 APR 19:00).
- Classic Monday Matinée: RIVER OF NO RETURN d. Howard Hawks, 1954 at Regent Street Cinema (17 APR 13:00).
- TORI AND LOKITA d. Jean-Pierre Dardenne & Luc Dardenne, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (17 APR 20:00 / 18 APR 20:00 / 19 APR 20:00 / 23 APR 17:00).
- WILD ROSE d. Tom Harper, 2018 + Live country music set by Sadgirlfag, curated by Heather Estradiol, presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (17 APR 19:00).
- Adrian Brunel and British cinema of the 1920s at BFI Southbank (17 APR 18:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- JURASSIC PARK 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1993 (17 APR 12:30).
- MARRIED TO THE MOB 35mm d. Jonathan Demme, 1988 (17 APR 15:25).
- SALÒ, OR THE 120 DAYS OF SODOM 35mm d. Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1975 (17 APR 18:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOUR AMONGST THIEVES d. John Francis Daley & Jonathan Goldstein, 2023 (until 20 APR).
- THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE d. Aaron Horvath & Michael Jelenic, 2023 (until 22 APR).
- ANIME: SUZUME [Subtitled] d. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 (14 to 27 APR).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- THE END OF EVANGELION d. Hideaki Anno & Kazuya Tsurumaki, 1997 (17 APR 18:15).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- PICKPOCKET d. Robert Bresson, 1959 (17 APR 20:50).
CINEMA RESTORED at Barbican
- LOSING GROUND 35mm d. Kathleen Collins, 1982 + Intro by Dr. Terri Francis (17 APR 18:35).
FRANCOPHONE WEST AFRICAN CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- HYENAS d. Djibril Diop Mambéty, 1992 + Intro/discussion with Anthony Badu (17 APR 16:00).
FROM THE REQUEST BOARD… at The Prince Charles
- LA GRANDE BOUFFE d. Marco Ferreri, 1973 (17 APR 20:45 – £1 Members Screening).
GINGER ROGERS: ALL THAT SASS at BFI Southbank
- ROXIE HART 35mmd. William A. Wellman, 1942 (17 APR 18:30).
- Re-release: TOP HAT d. Mark Sandrich, 1935 (07 to 20 APR).
NORTHERN VOICES at BFI Southbank
- Talks etc: Alan Bennett in Conversation (17 APR 18:10).
OUTSIDERS AND EXILES: THE FILMS OF JERZY SKOLIMOWSKI at BFI Southbank
- LE DÉPART 35mm d. Jerzy Skolimowski, 1967 (17 APR 20:40).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (17 APR 13:00).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (14 to 23 APR).
- Queer East (18 to 30 APR).
Also 14 to 20 APR (various dates/times):
- CAIRO CONSPIRACY dir. Tarik Saleh, 2022 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios.
- RAGING BULL dir. Martin Scorsese, 1980 at: BFI / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Riverside Studios.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.