BAR TRASH presents TRASH OR TREASURE? season at Genesis Cinema & Rule Zero (JAN to MAR 2023)
Token Homo’s cult film event – BAR TRASH – takes an unofficial look back at The Golden Turkey Awards (1980) with a new season – TRASH OR TREASURE? Resurrecting “The Worst Films of All Time” – at Genesis Cinema & Rule Zero (JAN to MAR 2023).
Submitted by Token Homo
With Sight & Sound showcasing the “100 greatest films ever made” at BFI and the global film industry about to slap itself silly in awards season, BAR TRASH takes a different path… For the third sensational season of his cult movie event – TRASH OR TREASURE? – host Token Homo will be resurrecting (unofficially!) one of the most controversial movie lists of all time, The Golden Turkey Awards.
Published in the 1980s by Harry and Michael Medved, The Golden Turkey Awards and Son of Golden Turkey Awards were two volumes of satyrical, attention-grabbing snark. They disrespected film lore, eviscerated Hollywood’s hypocrisies, and (accidentally?) revived forgotten film histories. Edward D. Wood Jr. (GLEN OR GLENDA, PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE) was crowned “The Worst Director of All Time”.
But are these films TRASH OR TREASURE? And what does ‘best/worst’ mean when all we’re looking for is a good time in the darkness?
Token Homo will be screening some of his favourite “worst films of all time”, generally grappling with the ‘best/worst’ paradox, and asking the audience’s opinion with new for this season ‘trash or treasure’ polling cards! As usual, all BAR TRASH films will be served with themed drinks, introductions, intermissions, prize giveaways and subtitles (where possible). Screenings at Rule Zero are now served with an optional (bottomless!) brunch menu. Tickets from £3.
TRASH OR TREASURE? Resurrecting “The Worst Films of All Time” screens at Genesis Cinema (weekly every Wednesday) and monthly at brunch-time on Sundays at Rule Zero: Booking now!
- The Golden Turkey Awards – Worst Films A-Z: TROG d. Freddie Francis, 1970 (25 JAN 20:30 at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon).
- Son of Golden Turkey Awards – Rogues’ Gallery: LIFEFORCE d. Tobe Hooper, 1985 (29 JAN 11:00 at Rule Zero’s Sub Zero).
- The Golden Turkey Awards – Worst Films A-Z: DAMNATION ALLEY d. Jack Smight, 1977 (01 FEB 20:30 at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon).
- The Golden Turkey Awards – The Worst Film You Never Saw (nominee): MATILDA Daniel Mann, 1978 (08 FEB 20:30 at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon – main featured image).
- The Golden Turkey Awards – Most Inane and Unwelcome ‘Technical Advance’ in Hollywood History (winner): THE TINGLER d. William Castle, 1959 (15 FEB 20:30 at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon).
- The Golden Turkey Awards – Worst Two-Headed Transplant Movie Ever Made (winner): THE THING WITH TWO HEADS d. Lee Frost, 1972 (22 FEB 20:30 at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon).
- Son of Golden Turkey Awards – Rogues’ Gallery: CONAN THE DESTROYER d. Richard Fleischer, 1984 (26 FEB 11:00 at Rule Zero’s Sub Zero).
- Biggest Rip-off in Hollywood History (winner): KING KONG (1976) d. John Guillermin, 1976 (01 MAR 20:45 at Genesis Cinema’s Studio 4).
- In Tribute To Raquel Welch: KANSAS CITY BOMBER x FIST CLUB takeover for International Women’s Day, raising funds for WISH, a local women’s mental health charity (08 MAR 20:30 at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon).
- Worst Performance by an Actor as Jesus Christ (winner): Ted Neeley in JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR – Sing-along d. Norman Jewison, 1973 (15 MAR at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon).
- The Worst Actor of All Time (winner): Richard Burton in EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC d. John Boorman, 1977 (22 MAR 20:45 at Genesis Cinema’s Studio 4).
- Son of Golden Turkey Awards – Rogues’ Gallery: HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL! d. Jack Arnold, 1958 (26 MAR 11:00 at Rule Zero’s Sub Zero + brunch!);
- The Worst Director of All Time (winner): Ed Wood’s PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE d. Edward D. Wood Jnr, 1957 (29 MAR 20:30 at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon).
BAR TRASH presents TRASH OR TREASURE?: Resurrecting “The Worst Films of All Time” at Genesis Cinema & Rule Zero (JAN to MAR 2023).
ALSO BOOKING NOW!
Pushkin House presents WITNESSING HISTORY: FILMS BY SERGEI LOZNITSA at venues across London (02 to 10 JUN 2023)
Exploding Cinema presents a night of short films at The Cinema Museum (10 JUN 2023).
Saraband presents Queer Reflections on Horror + JENNIFER’S BODY at Rio Cinema (08 JUN 2023).
Tibet Film Festival presents BALLOON in honour of Pema Tseden at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 2023)
TRANS-X-PLOITATION continues with SHE MAN: A STORY OF FIXATION at The Prince Charles Cinema (20 JUN 2023).
Sonic Cinema presents ANSWERING THE SUN + Q&A with Rainer Kohlberger at ICA (24 JUN 2023)
Token Homo’s BAR TRASH presents MONSTER MAYHEM! at Genesis Cinema & Rule Zero (31 MAY to 23 AUG 2023).
Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club presents a spectacular series of 16mm screenings at The Castle Cinema (booking to 28 MAY 2023)
DISCOVER MORE FILM // SUPPORT INDIE CINEMA
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.