Genesis Cinema’s in-house festival of underrepresented filmmakers returns for a second, post-pandemic edition, and they even have their own beer c/o Old Street Brewery! Here’s everything you need to know…
Submitted by Genesis Cinema
- Fragments Festival 2022
- 29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022 // Genesis Cinema // London E1 4UJ
- Tickets: £6.00-10.00 // BOOKING NOW!
In 2019 as part of the cinema’s 20th anniversary year, Genesis Cinema created and programmed Fragments, their very own film festival. Recognising that there is a general lack of diversity in many film festivals, Fragments was intentionally conceived as a platform for underrepresented filmmakers to exhibit their work: a showcase of films with unique individuals and minority groups as their focus.
The second Fragments Festival runs over the weekend of September 29 to October 2 with a programme of premieres and special previews of visionary new films. Some are big studio titles, some have been lauded on the international film festival circuit, some are undiscovered gems you may not yet have heard of – and they all have women, non-binary, ethnically diverse, disabled, disadvantaged and LGBTQIA+ individuals at their forefront. The result is a range of stories that celebrate the scope and possibilities of cinema.
OPENING & CLOSING FILMS
Fragments opens with a special preview screening of THE WOMAN KING (dir: Gina Prince-Bythewood, USA/Can), following its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival. Inspired by true events, it’s the remarkable story of the Agojie, the all-female warrior unit who protected the African kingdom of Dahomey in the 1800s. Director Gina Prince-Bythewood will be in attendance!
The festival closes with the UK Premiere of PURE GRIT (dir: Kim Bartley, Ireland/USA), both a thrilling tale of extreme bareback horse racing and an intimate love story. Documenting three years in the life of a young Native American bareback horse racer, it chronicles former champion Sharmaine who quit racing to care for her sister after she was paralysed in a catastrophic accident on the track. Now, supported by her new girlfriend, she’s once again determined to ride and win.
Other feature films at Fragments this year include:
- UK Premiere of TO KILL THE BEAST (dir: Agustina San Martín, Argentina) follows a teenage girl on the hunt for her long-missing brother (30 SEP 20:50).
- UK Premiere of IT WORKS II (dir: Fridolin Schönwiese, Austria), an absorbing testament to living full lives regardless of disabilities (01 OCT 16:25 – main featured image).
- FRAMING AGNES (dir: Chase Joynt, Canada/USA) adopts a talk show format to explore six previously unknown stories from the archives of the UCLA Gender Clinic in the 1950s (01 OCT 19:00).
- UK Premiere of MAMA BEARS (dir: Daresha Kyi, USA), a thought-provoking story of women whose profound love for their LGBTQIA+ children has turned them into fierce advocates for the entire queer community (01 OCT 21:00).
- THE GRAVEDIGGER’S WIFE (dir: Khadar Ahmed, Djibouti), a moving portrayal of a loving family who are facing difficult times, and must push themselves to the limits to find a way out (02 OCT 13:35).
Genesis Cinema continues their collaborations with partners from across London’s alternative cinema scene with a series of special events.
Kush Films presents a special Black History Month gala screening of STUDIO 17: THE LOST REGGAE TAPES (dir: Mark James, UK), the remarkable story of the Chins, the Chinese-Jamaican family behind the legendary Studio 17 recording studio in Kingston, Jamaica, which will be followed by a Q&A and reggae party featuring a guest live performance (30 SEP 18:45).
With gender-bending and queerness at its core, By Royal Appointment: A movie-themed Drag King Life Drawing offers an evening of mingling, drink and film-themed life drawing at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon. Includes a complimentary glass of wine, beer or soft beverage (01 OCT 19:30)!
CINESISTERS present BODY OF WATER (dir: Lucy Brydon, UK), a frank and resolute story of a woman with an eating disorder, followed by an industry panel exploring how this debut feature secured UK distribution (02 OCT 15:45).
And then there are three packed programmes of shorts… From the cities of Northern Iran to the suburbs of Birmingham, BRAVING IT showcases resilience, spirit and the diversity of our struggles (01 OCT 11:10). LONDON BELONGS TO US illustrates the power of love and community, as well as the problems we face together (01 OCT 13:45). WHO YOU ARE looks within ourselves: our identity, the body, and the way we perceive each other (02 OCT 11:10).
- All films will be shown in wheelchair accessible screens.
- All films supplied with subtitles will be shown in the subtitled format.
- Gender-neutral toilet facilities will be available.
- To encourage further dialogue, Q&As will follow many of the screenings, including accessible recorded Q&As.
- To keep the festival accessible to all, including low-income households, Opening, Closing and Reggae Gala screenings are £10, and all other screenings are £6. An allocation of free tickets for those who can’t afford to attend will also be made available.
Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022), booking now!
ALSO BOOKING NOW!
DISCOVER MORE FILM // SUPPORT INDIE CINEMA
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.