SATURDAY 14 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THOSE THAT, AT A DISTANCE, RESEMBLE ANOTHER d. Jessica Sarah Rinland, 2019 + Q&A with the director & Natural History Museum Curator of Mammals, Richard Sabin at ICA (14 AUG 18:30).
- “The ICA presents the debut feature by Argentinian-British artist-filmmaker Jessica Sarah Rinland, a meditative contemplation on conservation, preservation and authenticity through a singular prism: the gradual fabrication of a replica elephant’s tusk. Rinland offsets the sterility of the multiple laboratory settings with a sumptuous colour palette (filmed on Super 16mm), hypnotically capturing a series of hands as they undertake a series of delicate tasks with care and precision in a process that falls midway between science and art.”
SATURDAY 14 AUG
- ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 at Everyman Broadgate (14 AUG 21:00).
- ALL ABOUT EVE d. Joseph L Mankiewicz, 1950 at BFI Southbank (14 AUG 20:25).
- ANNIHILATION d. Alex Garland, 2018 at The Prince Charles (14 AUG 14:30).
- BLUE VELVET 35MM d. David Lynch, 1986 at The Prince Charles (14 AUG 23:00).
- CASINO ROYALE d. Martin Campbell, 2006 at The Prince Charles (14 AUG 17:15).
- THE EVIL DEAD TRILOGY at The Prince Charles (14 AUG 20:30).
- THE FEAR OF STRANGERS d. Herbert Wise, 1964 + THE CHOCOLATE TREE d. Alan Cooke, 1963 + Intro at BFI Southbank (14 AUG 14:10).
- FIVE EASY PIECES d. Bob Rafelson, 1971 at Riverside Studios (14 AUG 14:45).
- THE GREAT DICTATOR d. Charles Chaplin, 1940 at The Prince Charles (14 AUG 11:40).
- JAZZ ON SCREEN: RAY CHARLES & MILES DAVIS at Riverside Studios (14 AUG 17:00).
- JOSEE, THE TIGER AND THE FISH d. Kôtarô Tamura, 2020 at Picturehouse Cinemas (14 AUG various – SUB).
- MARKED WOMAN 35MM d. Lloyd Bacon, 1937 at BFI Southbank (14 AUG 14:45).
- MINAMATA d. Andrew Levitas, 2020 + Recorded Q&A with the director & Johnny Depp at Regent Street Cinema (14 AUG 20:30).
- MIRROR d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1974 at Close-Up (14 AUG 20:00).
- MR. SKEFFINGTON 35MM d. Vincent Sherman, 1944 at BFI Southbank (14 AUG 17:10).
- THELMA & LOUISE d. Ridley Scott, 1991 at BFI Southbank (14 AUG 20:35).
- THOSE THAT, AT A DISTANCE, RESEMBLE ANOTHER d. Jessica Sarah Rinland, 2019 + Q&A with the director & Natural History Museum Curator of Mammals Richard Sabin at ICA (14 AUG 18:30).
- THUNDER ON SYCAMORE STREET d. Silvio Narizzano, 1957 + discussion with actor Ashley Walters & playwright Stephen S Thompson at BFI Southbank (14 AUG 17:30).
- WILD AT HEART d. David Lynch, 1990 at The Prince Charles (14 AUG 20:00).
- WRITING WITH FIRE d. Rintu Thomas & Sushmit Ghosh, 2021 at Bertha DocHouse (14 AUG 13:30).
- 24HR PARTY PEOPLE d. Michael Winterbottom, 2002 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (14 AUG 20:30).
- ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND d. Michel Gondry, 2004 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (14 AUG 20:30).
- FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY d. Stephen Merchant, 2019 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (14 AUG 17:45).
- LA LA LAND d. Damien Chazelle, 2016 open captioned at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (14 AUG 20:30).
- NOTTING HILL d. Roger Michell, 1999 at The Luna Cinema at Kensington Palace (14 AUG 20:30).
- The Blue Tick Festival (10 to 19 AUG).
- Everyman Music Film Festival (from 17 AUG).
- S.O.U.L. Fest (18 to 22 AUG).
BLOW IT TO BITS aka On va tout péter d. Lech Kowalski, 2019 at ICA (13 to 19 AUG various times).
- Also (13 to 19 AUG various dates/times): THE COURIER at ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Genesis Cinemas / JW3 / Kino Bermondsey / Olympic Studios / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios / Watermans // I’M YOUR MAN d. Maria Schrader, 2021 at Barbican / Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Riverside Studios // JOSEE, THE TIGER AND THE FISH d. Kôtarô Tamura, 2020 at ICA / Kino Bermondsey / The Prince Charles // MINAMATA d. Andrew Levitas, 2020 at Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema (+Q&A) / Regent Street Cinema // NEW ORDER d. Michel Franco, 2020 at ICA // NOW, VOYAGER d. Irving Rapper, 1942 at BFI Southbank // SOLDIER’S WOMAN d. Patricia Wiesse Risso, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse // WILDLAND d. Jeanette Nordahl, 2021 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema.
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.