RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: CLOCKERS + INTRO by Glyn Robbins – Justice For Grenfell Charity Screening at Genesis Cinema (01 JUL 12:30): “[Spike] Lee has said that gun control and black-on-black crime are the two great unsolved issues facing African Americans. In CLOCKERS, these are his subjects.” – Roger Ebert.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
CLOCKERS + INTRO by Glyn Robbins – Justice For Grenfell Charity Screening at Genesis Cinema (01 JUL 12:30):
- Spike Lee’s 1995 film portrays the struggle for survival in urban America. As President Trump prepares to visit the UK, the film’s themes of poverty, brutality and racism have enduring power and relevance.
THE OPERA HOUSE at Barbican (01 JUL 16:00):
- A new film by award-winning documentary filmmaker Susan Froemke, surveys a remarkable period of the Metropolitan Opera’s rich history and a time of great change for New York.
- Also at Phoenix Cinema (01 JUL 14:00), DocHouse (01 JUL 14:30) and Picturehouse Central (01 JUL 14:45).
SUMMER 1993 + Q&A with director Carla Simón at BFI Southbank (01 JUL 15:00):
- Ater the death of her mother, six-year old Frida (Laia Artigas) is uprooted from Barcelona to live with her mother’s brother and his family in rural Catalonia. Simón sensitively tracks her emotional journey as she works through her grief and adapts to new surroundings.
- Also at ICA (01 JUL 20:15).
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 120 BPM at Whirled Cinema (01 JUL 18:00).
- THE COLOUR OF POMEGRANATES synced with Nicolas Jaar’s album Pomegranates presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (01 JUL 15:00 & 19:00 – CANCELLED!).
- DIE HARD TRILOGY 3 films, 1 ticket at The Prince Charles (01 JUL 15:55).
- Double Bill: THAT SUMMER + GREY GARDENS at Regent Street Cinema (01 JUL 18:30 & 20:15).
- DOUBLE INDEMNITY at BFI (01 JUL 15:45).
- E.T. THE EXTRA TERRESTRIALat Backyard Cinema (01 JUL 11:00).
- GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES at The Prince Charles (01 JUL 13:45).
- MEAN GIRLS at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (01 JUL 21:00).
- OUR PRESIDENT at DocHouse (01 JUL 16:45).
- A QUIET PLACE at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (01 JUL 21:00).
- THE SHAPE OF WATER at Backyard Cinema (01 JUL 20:30).
- THE SHINING at Picturehouse Central (01 JUL 15:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- TIREZ SUR LE PIANISTE at Ciné Lumière (01 JUL 14:00).
- WHITNEY at ICA (01 JUL 14:05).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AGNÈS VARDA: VISION OF AN ARTIST at BFI Southbank (JUN to JUL).
- JACQUOT DE NANTES (01 JUL 20:10).
ANIMATION 2018 at BFI Southbank (2018):
CLOSE-UP ON KANETO SHINDÔ at Close-Up (01 to 28 JUL):
- ONIBABA (01 JUL 20:30).
FACE OF ANOTHER at Close-Up (01 to 26 JUL):
- THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1929) (01 JUL 18:00).
LA FÊTE DU CINÉMA at Ciné Lumière (01 to 04 JUL – All tickets £5):
MARVEL STUDIOS at House Of Vans (07 JUN to 01 JUL – Free/No booking required):
- ANT MAN (01 JUL 13:00 & 15:30).
PINTER ON SCREEN: POWER, SEX & POLITICS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- THE HOTHOUSE (01 JUL 17:00).
- BFI: FISTS IN THE POCKET (01 JUL 18:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Aperture: Asia & Pacific Film Festival (29 JUN to 08 JUL):
- Next Screening: RYUICHI SAKAMOTO: CODA + INTRO by Jasper Sharp (05 JUL 18:30, DocHouse).
THE ENDLESS at The Prince Charles (01 JUL 20:30):
- Directors Benson and Moorhead play brothers, former members of a “crazy UFO death cult”, who receive a mysterious video cassette in the mail. The tape contains an eerie calling card from their past, inviting them to attend an event called the Ascension.
TARPAULINS at DocHouse (01 JUL 20:30):
- The simple study of colourful tarpaulins reveals the destruction of modern-day urbanisation at the hands of insects. Los Angeles is losing the fight against a growing infestation of termites, and the city’s best weaponry is tarpaulins.
VAGABOND at BFI Southbank (01 JUL 14:50, 17:50 & 20:15):
- Winner of the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, Agnès Varda’s VAGABOND is a cinematic landmark that introduced one of the most intriguing, complex and uncompromising female protagonists in modern cinema.
More films in London this week (A – Z): 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm at BFI IMAX (04 to 05 JUL). ARCADIA at BFI (until 05 JUL). THE CIAMBRA at Watermans (29 JUN to 05 JUL). ENTEBBE at JW3 (01 to 05 JUL). FRANTZ FANON: BLACK SKIN, WHITE MASK at ICA (01 to 05 JUL). HEREDITARY at Institute Of Light (29 JUN to 05 JUL). MARY AND THE WITCH’S FLOWER at The Prince Charles (29 JUN to 05 JUL). RYUICHI SAKAMOTO: CODA at DocHouse (29 JUN to 05 JUL). SHAKEDOWN at ICA (30 JUN to 05 JUL). THE SQUARE at ICA (30 JUN to 05 JUL). STUDIO 54 at DocHouse (29 JUN to 03 JUL). TIME TRIAL at Picturehouse Central (30 JUN to o5 JUL). ZAMA at Whirled Cinema (02 to 08 JUL).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.