RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
NEW TOWNS, OUR TOWN: STORIES ON SCREEN d. various + Q&A with Jemma Buckley, Will Jennings & Georgia Wrighton at Barbican (03 SEP 18:30 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!):
- “NEW TOWNS, OUR TOWN, a feature-length collection of films from archives across south east England, sheds light on the experiences of the towns’ early pioneers as well as following generations, with rare footage from ten different New Towns. With the UK’s ongoing housing crisis, the lessons of the New Towns are once again at the forefront of social and political debates.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
LUNCHTIME FILM SOCIETY is a brand new popup cinema screening daily programmes of bitesize films for busy City workers at the Bridewell Theatre, EC4Y (22 OCT to 01 NOV 2019).
[WED 23 OCT] ABOUT US: The stories we tell about people & places reveal a lot about us. But how do our stories get out there & who gets to tell them? These shorts show how stories can both define us & set us free.
> Want LUNCHTIME FILM in your location? Get in touch.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
SEAHORSE: THE DAD WHO GAVE BIRTH d. Jeanie Finlay, 2019 + Q&A with Freddy + Guests at Genesis Cinema (03 SEP 18:30):
- Bird’s Eye View #ReclaimTheFrame presents: “One trans man’s pioneering quest to fulfil an age-old desire: to start his own family. The is the story of the dad who gave birth. Followed by a Q&A with Freddy, the brave dad of the doc, joined by columnist and political commentator Owen Jones and the film’s producer Andrea Cromwell.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER d. Pedro Almodóvar, 1999 at Picturehouse Central (03 SEP 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- CAPRICORN ONE d. Peter Hyams, 1977 at The Prince Charles (03 SEP 20:45).
- DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN d. Susan Seidelman, 1985 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (03 SEP 20:00).
- L.A. CONFIDENTIAL d. Curtis Hanson, 1997 at TT Liquor (03 SEP 18:30).
- LETO d. Kirill Serebrennikov, 2018 at ICA (03 SEP 16:25).
- LETO d. Kirill Serebrennikov, 2018 at Genesis Cinema (03 SEP 21:00).
- MIDSOMMAR d. Ari Aster, 2019 at The David Lean (03 SEP 19:00).
- SHOWGIRLS d. Paul Verhoeven, 1995 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Peckham Levels (03 SEP 19:30 – FREE!).
- TV Preview: WORLD ON FIRE + Q&A with writer Peter Bowker plus cast members Sean Bean, Zofia Wichłacz, Julia Brown, & Jonah Hauer-King at BFI Southbank (03 SEP 18:15).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ANGELA BASSETT: QUEEN OF THE SCREEN at BFI Southbank (SEP):
- Trailblazer: The Rise of Angela Bassett Panel Discussion (03 SEP 18:20).
- HOW STELLA GOT HER GROOVE BACK 35mm d. Kevin Rodney Sullivan, 1998 (03 SEP 20:40).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
- BRINGING UP BABY d. Howard Hawks, 1938 (03 SEP 20:30).
INGMAR BERGMAN SEASON at Deptford Cinema (ongoing):
- THE MAGICIAN d. Ingmar Bergman, 1958 (03 SEP 19:30).
THE LUNA CINEMA various outdoor venues (SEP):
- THE BREAKFAST CLUB (03 SEP 19:45 – Battersea Park).
PHILLIP MARLOWE ON SCREEN at The Prince Charles (until 03 SEP):
- THE BIG SLEEP 35mm d. Michael Winner, 1978 (03 SEP 18:25 – PCC £1 Members Screening).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (ongoing):
- THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA (03 SEP 19:45 – Stratford).
- GHOST (03 SEP 19:45 – Peckham).
- DEATH BECOMES HER (03 SEP 21:00 – Shoreditch).
SAY WHAT HAPPENED: NICK FRASER SELECTS at DocHouse (13 AUG to 20 SEP):
- WHY WE FIGHT d. Eugene Jarecki, 2005 (03 SEP 18:30).
TRILOGIES & TRIPTYCHS at Close-Up Centre (01 AUG to 01 SEP):
- Michelangelo Antonioni’s Alienation Trilogy – LA NOTTE d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1961 (03 SEP 20:15).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 (03 SEP 15:30).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- I Will Tell International Film Festival (30 AUG to 09 SEP).
ANIARA d. Pella Kågerman & Hugo Lilja, 2018 at Rio Cinema (03 SEP 18:30):
- “Apocalyptic, darkly poetic and visually stunning, ANIARA balances a spectacular sense of intergalactic dread with matters more mundane as it imagines the existential crisis of a human race without a planet to call home. The alternative? A shopping mall in space.”
MEMORY: THE ORIGINS OF ALIEN d. Alexandre O. Philippe, 2019 at DocHouse (03 SEP 21:10):
- “Everybody remembers the inspired explosive shocker scene in Alien, but not everyone knows the complex and surprising story of the film’s journey. Dan O’Bannon’s script, combined with H.R. Giger’s artwork were the creative seeds of the film, but there are deeper roots in myth and art that reach further back in time. Interviews with people close to, and involved in, the making of Alien recall the excitement of bringing it all to life, as well as lively anecdotes from the iconic scene.”
THE SOUVENIR d. Joanna Hogg, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (03 SEP 12:20, 15:00 & 20:45):
- “One of Britain’s most unique filmmakers Joanna Hogg (ARCHIPELAGO, UNRELATED) presents a deeply personal examination of her own youthful experiences in this beautifully crafted, Martin Scorsese produced portrait of self-discovery, THE SOUVENIR.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A FAITHFULL MAN d. Louis Garrel, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (until 05 SEP). ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at Waterman’s (31 AUG to 05 SEP). BAIT d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 at BFI Southbank (30 AUG to 05 SEP – Check website for 35mm screenings). THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at The Prince Charles (30 AUG to 04 SEP). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at The Prince Charles (30 AUG to 05 SEP). GAZA d. Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell, 2018 at DocHouse (until 03 SEP). INNA DE YARD d. Peter Webber, 2019 at ICA (30 AUG to 05 SEP). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ICA (until 04 SEP). MRS. LOWRY AND SON d. Adrian Noble, 2019 at JW3 (01 to 11 SEP). ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 04 SEP – Selected screening times). PAIN & GLORY d. Pedro Almodovar, 2019 at The Lexi (until 11 SEP). SEAHORSE d. Jeanie Finlay, 2019 at DocHouse (30 AUG to 05 SEP). WHEN HARRY MET SALLY 35mm d. Rob Reiner, 1989 at The Prince Charles (30 AUG to 03 SEP).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.