RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
PATHER PANCHALI d. Satyajit Ray, 1957 + Talk by Professor Sunetra Gupta at Barbican (04 FEB 18:05):
- Science On Screen presents: “Nominated for a BAFTA and the Palme D’Or at Cannes Film Festival, PATHER PANCHALI paints a powerful portrait of a father who dreams of a better life for his family and his son Apu who grows up in gut-wrenching hardship. Sunetra Gupta explores whether globalization has been a force for good or whether it has driven out the hope that internationalism brought with it in the 1950s. The presentation links to her own scientific work studying the spread of infectious diseases.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
We’ve posted our epic roundup of February’s rep seasons & fests.
Read our in-depth screen guide to the Japan Foundation’s Touring Film Programme at ICA (31 JAN to 16 FEB).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
British Animation Awards Public Choice 1 at Regent Street Cinema (04 FEB 18:30):
- “A chance for the public to vote on their favourite British short animation film and animated music video. Three BAA Public Choice programmes consist of a selection of outstanding short films and music videos from the entries to the British Animation Awards 2020. Also: Public Choice 2 (11 FEB 18:30); Public Choice 3 (12 FEB 20:50).”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A HIDDEN LIFE d. Terrence Malick, 2020 at Phoenix Cinema (04 FEB 16:30).
- A HIDDEN LIFE d. Terrence Malick, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (04 FEB 18:15).
- ANNE FRANK: PARALLEL STORIES d. Sabina Fedeli & Anna Migotto, 2020 at JW3 (04 FEB 16:15).
- CORPUS CHRISTI d. Jan Komasa, 2019 at Polish Social & Cultural Association (04 FEB 19:30).
- FOXTROT d. Samuel Maoz, 2017 presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (04 FEB 20:00).
- IL PIOMBO E LA NEVE aka Lead & Snow, 2017 at UCL Pearson Building (04 FEB 18:30 – FREE!).
- THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU d. Wes Anderson, 2004 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Peckham Levels (04 FEB 19:30 – FREE!).
- LONG DAY’S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT d. Bi Gan, 2018 at ICA (04 FEB 12:30).
- NOTHING BUT A MAN d. Michael Roemer, 1964 screened in memory of member Leslie Brent by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (04 FEB 20:00).
- PRESENT. PERFECT d. Zhu Shengze, 2019 at ICA (04 FEB 13:30).
- SORRY WE MISSED YOU d. Ken Loach, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (04 FEB 20:50).
- VICTORIA d. Sebastian Schipper, 2015 presented by Westminster Film Society at Harrow Campus (04 FEB 18:00 – FREE!).
- WHEN TOMATOES MET WAGNER d. Marianna Economou, 2019 at DocHouse (04 FEB 16:30).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: MAN VS NATURE at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- FITZCARRALDO d. Werner Herzog, 1982 (04 FEB 20:00).
CHINA TODAY: MEMORIES, DREAMS, REALITIES at DocHouse (JAN to FEB):
- TURTLE ROCK d. Xiao Xiao, 2017 (04 FEB 18:30).
ELIA KAZAN: THE ACTORS’ DIRECTOR at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- PANIC IN THE STREETS 35mm d. Elia Kazan, 1950 (04 FEB 18:00).
FELLINI at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- AMACORD 35mm d. Federico Fellini, 1973 (04 FEB 20:30).
HAPPINESS IS A STATE OF MIND: JOY & DESPAIR IN JAPANESE CINEMA at ICA (31 JAN to 16 FEB):
- MY LOVE STORY!! aka Ore Monogatari!! d. Kawai Hayato, 2015 (04 FEB 18:20).
- SEA OF REVIVAL aka Nagi machi d. Shiraishi Kazuya, 2019 (04 FEB 20:30).
IN FOCUS: KAZUO HARA at ICA (31 JAN to 04 FEB):
- SENNAN ASBESTOS DISASTER d. Kazuo Hara, 2017 (04 FEB 19:45).
NOAH BAUMBACH SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (JAN to FEB):
- MARGOT AT THE WEDDING 35mm d. Noah Baumbach, 2007 (04 FEB 18:05).
THE OSCARS – AND THE NOMINEES ARE… at The Prince Charles (FEB to MAR):
- ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 (04 FEB 20:15).
TRIBUTE TO DELPHINE SEYRIG – ACTRESS, DIRECTOR AND ACTIVIST at Ciné Lumière (01 DEC 2019 to 04 FEB 2020):
- JOHANNA D’ARC OF MONGOLIA d. Ulrike Ottinger, 1989 (04 FEB 18:30).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today – let us know what we’re missing!
BAIT d Mark Jenkin, 2019 + Short: TRAVELOGUE (1920s Archival Footage) at BFI Southbank (04 FEB 20:50):
- “Martin (Edward Rowe) is a fisherman without a boat since his brother repurposed their father’s vessel for tourist trips. As he struggles to buy his own boat he must also cope with family rivalry and the influx of London money, stag parties and holiday homes in his picturesque Cornish harbour village. Summer brings simmering tensions to a head, with tragic consequences.”
THE LIGHTHOUSE d. Robert Eggers, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (04 FEB 13:00, 15:30, 18:15 & 20:45):
- “Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson play Victorian lightkeepers sticking out a four-week stint on a jagged windswept island. Thomas is the grizzled, demonic older man who is supposed to be training the younger Ephraim. Yet there is little guidance in their increasingly drunken meals or in Thomas’ flinty banter. As these sea dogs’ grog runs low and phantoms begin to beset the island, this deliciously gothic thriller becomes ever-more distinctive, compelling, and wild.”
QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (04 FEB 12:40, 15:15, 18:10 & 20:50):
- “While on a forgettable first date together in Ohio, a black man and a black woman, are pulled over for a minor traffic infraction. The situation escalates, with sudden and tragic results, when the man kills the police officer in self-defence. Terrified and in fear for their lives, the man, a retail employee, and the woman, a criminal defence lawyer, are forced to go on the run. But the incident is captured on video and goes viral, and the couple unwittingly become a symbol of trauma, terror, grief and pain for people across the country.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A HIDDEN LIFE d. Terrence Malick, 2019 at ICA (until 06 FEB). BOMBSHELL d. Jay Roach, 2019 at Catford Mews (until 06 FEB). CHINA LOVE d. Olivia Martin-McGuire, 2018 at DocHouse (until 06 FEB). ECHO d. Amikam Kovner, 2018 presented by UK Jewish Film at JW3 (03 to 06 FEB). THE HOLY MOUNTAIN d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973 at Rio Cinema (until 06 FEB). LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 15 FEB). MISS AMERICANA: TAYLOR SWIFT d. Lana Wilson, 2020 at The Prince Charles (31 JAN to 06 FEB). ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (03 to 09 FEB). SEBERG d. Benedict Andrews, 2019 at Watermans (31 JAN to 06 FEB). SHOW ME THE PICTURE: THE STORY OF JIM MARSHALL d. Alfred George Bailey, 2019 at DocHouse (31 JAN to 06 FEB). TALKING ABOUT TREES d. Suhaib Gasmelbari, 2019 at DocHouse (31 JAN to 06 FEB). UNCUT GEMS d. Benny Safdie & Josh Safdie, 2019 at ICA (until 06 FEB).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.