RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 40th Anniversary Screening at Picturehouse Central (04 MAR 21:00 – Other Picturehouses available!):
- “Winner of the 1979 Academy Award® for Visual Effects (H.R. Giger, Carlo Rambaldi, Brian Johnson, Nick Allder, Denys Ayling), and the film which spawned a vast media franchise, ALIEN remains a visceral, captivating and poetic blend of sci-fi and horror. This is a new 4K restoration of the original theatrical cut.”
- Also enjoying a grind show run at The Prince Charles.
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- ZODIAC FILM CLUB: For International Women’s Day 2019, Zodiac Film Club is bringing an eclectic triple bill of female friendship movies to Beyond Retro Dalston (06 to 08 MAR).
- NOW BOOKING: You’re invited to the private view of BLACKOUT, an exhibition of barely moving images at Ambika P3 (12 MAR).
- NOW BOOKING: THE MAN WHO LAUGHS with the Meg Morley Trio at 1901 Arts Club (14 MAR).
- NEWS: Phoenix Cinema Trust has launched a #PhoenixRising fundraiser – help save this much-loved venue.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Films in London today (A – Z):
- BURNING d. Chang-dong Lee, 2018 at The Lexi (04 MAR 15:00).
- MANDARIINID aka Tangerines d. Zaza Urushadze, 2013 at Deptford Cinema (04 MAR 19:30).
- PIERCING d. Nicolas Pesce, 2018 at The Prince Charles (04 MAR 15:50).
- SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at Barbican (04 MAR 18:15).
- TALK TALK LIVE presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (04 MAR 20:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (04 MAR 13:00 & 18:10).
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE d. Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey, 2018 (04 MAR 15:20).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- LE CRIME DE MONSIEUR LANGE d. Jean Renoir, 1936 (04 MAR 14:30 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!).
- RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 (04 MAR 20:50).
CLOSE-UP ON ANDREI TARKOVSKY at Close-Up (02 to 31 MAR):
- MIRROR d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1974 (04 MAR 20:15).
THE FILMS OF JEAN-MARIE STRAUB AND DANIÈLE HUILLET Goethe-Institut & partners’ epic season starts this week at BFI Southbank & ICA (MAR to JUN):
- The Intensive Materialism of Danièle Huillet and Jean-Marie Straub talk by Kodwo Eshun (04 MAR 18:15, BFI).
- NOT RECONCILED… d. Jean-Marie Straub & Danièle Huillet, 1965 + MACHORKA-MUFF v, 1962 + INTRO by Laura Mulvey (04 MAR 20:30, BFI).
HAYAO MIYAZAKI AND THE LEGENDARY STUDIO GHIBLI at Genesis Cinema (01 to 24 MAR):
- MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1988 (04 MAR 18:50).
- PRINCESS MONONOKE d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1997 (04 MAR 21:00).
JOHN WATERS SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (04 MAR to 26 JUN 2019):
- MULTIPLE MANIACS d. John Waters, 1970 (04 MAR 20:45).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- MEET JOHN DOE 35mm d. Frank Capra, 1941 (04 MAR 18:10).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today, but we’ve been wrong before..
ABOUT A WAR d. Abi Weaver & Daniele Rugo at ArtHouse Crouch End (04 MAR 13:00):
- Moving through the testimonies of Assaad, a right wing Christian intelligence officer; Ahed, a Palestinian refugee fighter and Nassim, a Communist commander, ABOUT A WAR unpicks the personal motivations, trauma and regret of militiamen who picked up arms during the Lebanese Civil War.
BURNING MEN d. Jeremy Wooding, 2019 at Peckhamplex (04 MAR 20:30):
- Young, struggling musicians Ray and Don are evicted from their South London squat. They take to the road in their old Volvo Amazon, planning to sell their prized vinyl record collection and fly to Memphis USA. However, when they fail to get the money needed, they steal a rare Black Metal record which seems to unleash dark forces that threaten their mission.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- THE AFTERMATH d. James Kent, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (01 to 07 MAR). ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 New Restoration at The Prince Charles (01 to 10 MAR). BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 07 MAR). CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (until 07 MAR). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 07 MAR). FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY d. Stephen Merchant, 2019 at Rich Mix (01 to 07 MAR). FOXTROT d. Samuel Maoz, 2017 at JW3 (01 to 07 MAR). GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at Watermans (01 to 07 MAR). THE HOLE IN THE GROUND d. Lee Cronin, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (01 to 07 MAR). OF LOVE & LAW d. Hikaru Toda, 2017 at DocHouse (01 to 06 MAR). ON THE BASIS OF SEX d. Mimi Leder, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 07 MAR). THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 + various dates Q&A with the directors at Arthouse Crouch End (02 to 07 MAR). SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at ICA (01 to 07 MAR). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 07 MAR). TEDDY PENDERGRASS: IF YOU DON’T KNOW ME d. Olivia Lichtenstein, 2018 at DocHouse (02 to 07 MAR). WALL d. Cam Christiansen, 2017 at DocHouse (01 to 07 MAR).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.