RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: Birds’ Eye View presents ORLANDO 35mm + READINGS by Deborah Levy & Lara Feigel at Curzon Soho (04 JUL 18:30): “Directed with sly grace and quiet elegance by Sally Potter, it is not about a story or a plot, but about a vision of human existence. What does it mean to be born as a woman, or a man?” – Roger Ebert.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
CARMEN JONES + INTRO by Karen Alexander at BFI Southbank (04 JUL 18:15):
- Bizet’s opera (itself from Prosper Merimée’s novella) was transformed into a stage musical with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein and an all African-American cast, and then turned by Otto Preminger into a film. Set during World War Two, it finds Carmen (Dorothy Dandridge) working in a parachute factory.
ORLANDO 35mm + READINGS by Deborah Levy & Lara Feigel at Curzon Soho (04 JUL 18:30):
- Birds’ Eye View presents: A story of the quest for love, and an ironic dance through English history. Tilda Swinton’s innocent aristocrat journeys through 400 years of English history first as a man, then as a woman.
THE RED LANTERN at The Cinema Museum (04 JUL 19:30):
- Kennington Bioscope presents THE RED LANTERN (1919), directed by Albert Capellani, and starring Alla Nazimova and Noah Beery. A programme of silent shorts precedes the main film.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BLACK PANTHER at Backyard Cinema (04 JUL 20:30).
- BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S 16mm presented by Ciné-Real at The Castle Cinema (04 JUL 19:30).
- Double Bill: THAT SUMMER + GREY GARDENS at Regent Street Cinema (04 JUL 18:30 & 20:20).
- EVEN WHEN I FALL at Frontline Club (04 JUL 19:00).
- FAHRENHEIT 451 at the Austrian Cultural Forum (04 JUL 19:00 – Free!).
- FLAMING STAR at Regent Street Cinema (04 JUL 12:00 & 15:30).
- GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas Millennium Halls (04 JUL 20:15).
- I, TONYA presented by Filmbox Community Cinema at Langley Park Centre (04 JUL 19:45).
- LADY BIRD presented by Nomad outdoor cinema at Citypoint (04 JUL 19:00).
- LADY BIRD at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (04 JUL 21:00).
- MINISTRY OF FEAR presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (04 JUL 20:00).
- PELO MALO at Deptford Cinema (04 JUL 20:00).
- THE PUBLIC IMAGE IS ROTTEN at Stratford Picturehouse (04 JUL 20:45).
- RUMBLE: THE INDIANS WHO ROCKED THE WORLD presented by Canada Now 2018 at The Institute Of Light (04 JUL 21:00).
- THE SHAPE OF WATER presented by Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (04 JUL 19:45).
- STRONGER THAN A BULLET at DocHouse (04 JUL 18:30).
- SWANS BOOK LAUNCH + DOCUMENTARY presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (04 JUL 19:00).
- TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE 35mm at The Prince Charles (04 JUL 18:25).
- WHITNEY at BFI (04 JUL 20:40).
- WHITNEY at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (04 JUL 21:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AGNÈS VARDA: VISION OF AN ARTIST at BFI Southbank (JUN to JUL).
- ONE HUNDRED & ONE NIGHTS (04 JUL 18:20).
CREATURE FEATURES at The Prince Charles (until 18 AUG):
- JAWS (04 JUL 20:45).
JACQUES RANCIÈRE: PHILOSOPHY & CINEMA at Close-Up (04 to 28 JUL):
- M (04 JUL 19:30).
LA FÊTE DU CINÉMA at Ciné Lumière (01 to 04 JUL):
- BFI: SLAP THE MONSTER ON PAGE ONE 35mm (04 JUL 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Aperture: Asia & Pacific Film Festival (29 JUN to 08 JUL):
- Next Screening: RYUICHI SAKAMOTO: CODA + INTRO by Jasper Sharp (05 JUL 18:30, DocHouse).
THE ENDLESS at The Prince Charles (04 JUL 16:00):
- Directors Benson and Moorhead play brothers, former members of a “crazy UFO death cult”, who receive a mysterious video cassette in the mail. The tape contains an eerie calling card from their past, inviting them to attend an event called the Ascension.
TARPAULINS at DocHouse (04 JUL 16:30):
- The simple study of colourful tarpaulins reveals the destruction of modern-day urbanisation at the hands of insects. Los Angeles is losing the fight against a growing infestation of termites, and the city’s best weaponry is tarpaulins.
VAGABOND at BFI Southbank (04 JUL 14:30, 18:10 & 20:30):
- Winner of the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, Agnès Varda’s VAGABOND is a cinematic landmark that introduced one of the most intriguing, complex and uncompromising female protagonists in modern cinema.
More films in London this week (A – Z): 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm at BFI IMAX (04 to 05 JUL). ARCADIA at BFI (until 05 JUL). THE CIAMBRA at Watermans (29 JUN to 05 JUL). ENTEBBE at JW3 (01 to 05 JUL). FRANTZ FANON: BLACK SKIN, WHITE MASK at ICA (01 to 05 JUL). HEREDITARY at Institute Of Light (29 JUN to 05 JUL). MARY AND THE WITCH’S FLOWER at The Prince Charles (29 JUN to 05 JUL). RYUICHI SAKAMOTO: CODA at DocHouse (29 JUN to 05 JUL). SHAKEDOWN at ICA (30 JUN to 05 JUL). THE SQUARE at ICA (30 JUN to 05 JUL). STUDIO 54 at DocHouse (29 JUN to 03 JUL). TIME TRIAL at Picturehouse Central (30 JUN to o5 JUL). ZAMA at Whirled Cinema (02 to 08 JUL).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.