RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
BAG MOHAJER + DISCUSSION at Tate Modern (05 MAY 17:00 – Free!):
- A powerful documentary about young Afghan refugees in Greece who transform discarded lifeboats and lifejackets into bags. The film will be followed by a panel discussion with the film’s director Adrian Oeser, and researchers from Queen Mary University London, including Prof. Kavita Datta, and Dr Ashvin Devasundaram.
RADICAL BROADCASTS: REVOLUTION IN THE REVOLUTION at The Whitechapel Gallery (05 MAY 13:30):
- To commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the 1968 radical uprising across Europe, The Radical Broadcasts: Theory On TV season continues with this screening of three ultra-rare documentaries: John Berger’s essay film PARTING SHOTS FROM ANIMALS (1980), THE IDEA OF EMPIRE (1993), and BIG WORDS, SMALL WORLDS (1987).
More films in London today (A – Z): BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA 70mm at The Prince Charles (05 MAY 20:45). CLUELESS at Rooftop Cinema, Stratford (05 MAY 20:30 – sold out!). ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND at The Prince Charles (05 MAY 18:00). LA HAINE presented by Fruitvale Film Club at Birkbeck Cinema (05 MAY 14:00 – Free!). THE LAND BEFORE TIME 35mm at The Prince Charles (05 MAY 16:00). THE OLD DARK HOUSE at BFI (05 MAY 16:00). RODIN at Ciné Lumière (05 MAY 16:00). SEVEN CHANCES + HARD LUCK at BFI (05 MAY 15:30). WITHNAIL & I late bar screening at Genesis Cinema (05 MAY 22:00 – Free!).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CLOSE-UP ON JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up (04 to 25 MAY):
- THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC + VIVRE SA VIE (05 MAY 18:00 & 20:00).
D.I.Y. at House of Vans (05 APR to 05 MAY):
- CONTROL (05 MAY 15:00 & 17:30 – Free!).
LOST IN AMERICA: THE OTHER SIDE OF REAGAN’S 80s at BFI Southbank (MAY):
- OUT OF THE BLUE 35mm (05 MAY 20:50).
UPRISING: THE SPIRIT OF ’68 at BFI Southbank (MAY):
- TALK: THE REVOLUTIONARY’S GUIDE TO CINEMA includes Frankie Dymon Jnr’s DEATH MAY BE YOUR SANTA CLAUS (05 MAY 11:00).
- ONE PLUS ONE (aka Sympathy For The Devil) 35mm (05 MAY 18:00).
- IF…. (05 MAY 20:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
New Cross & Deptford Free Film Festival (27 APR to 06 MAY)
- THE LOVE WITCH (05 MAY 16:30, Deptford Does Art – Free!).
- SLEAFORD MODS: INVISIBLE BRITAIN (05 May 19:30, Sanford Housing Co-op – Free!).
- IN BRUGES (05 MAY 20:00, Dog & Bell Pub outdoor – Free!).
- PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL (05 MAY 20:30, Folkstone Gardens – outdoor peddle-powered screening – Free!).
Sci-Fi London (01 to 07 MAY)
- SHORTS PROGRAMME 5 (05 MAY 11:00, Stratford Picturehouse).
- THE ASTRONAUTS’ BODIES (05 MAY 13:00, Stratford Picturehouse).
- PEACHES (05 MAY 14:50, Stratford Picturehouse).
- SCI-FIDO DOG SHOW cosplay for dogs (05 MAY 15:00, Stratford Picturehouse).
- THE OUTER WILD + Q&A with director Philip Chidel (05 MAY 16:50, Stratford Picturehouse).
- CENSOR (05 MAY 21:00, Stratford Picturehouse).
Herne Hill Free Film Festival (01 MAY to 01 JUN)
- 48HR FILM COMPETITION (05 MAY 12:00, Prince Regent Pub – Free!).
- COCO (05 MAY 14:00, effraspace – Free!).
- COCO (05 MAY 16:30, effraspace – Free!).
- HUMAN FLOW (05 MAY 20:00, Yoga Point – Free!).
Canada Now (03 to 06 MAY)
- THE BREADWINNER (05 MAY 15:00, Curzon Soho).
- MARY GOES ROUND (05 MAY 18:00, Curzon Soho).
- BLACK COP + Q&A with director Cory Bowles (05 MAY 20:30, Curzon Soho).
Chinese Visual Festival (03 to 06 MAY)
- HONG KONG FRESH WAVE + DISCUSSION short film programme (05 MAY 12:00, BFI).
London Georgian Film Festival (03 to 08 MAY)
- THE CHAIR (05 MAY 14:00, Regent Street Cinema).
- INDEPENDENCE CHRONICLES 1918 – 1921 + PANEL (05 MAY 16:00, Regent Street Cinema).
- MY ENGLISH GRANDFATHER + PANEL (05 MAY 18:20, Regent Street Cinema).
- I AM TRULY A DROP OF SUN ON EARTH + Q&A + with Elene Naveriani
(05 MAY 20:45, Regent Street Cinema).
MARY & THE WITCH’S FLOWER at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 May 16:05 & 18:25):
- From Hiromasa Yonebayashi, animator on such Studio Ghibli masterpieces such as Ponyo and Spirited Away, comes a dazzling new adventure. Based on Mary Stewart‘s 1971 classic children’s book The Little Broomstick, Mary and the Witch’s Flower is packed with jaw-dropping imagination and ingenious characters.
- Also at Genesis Cinema (05 MAY 15:35 & 18:00), The Institute Of Light (05 MAY 20:00) and Rio Cinema (05 May 16:00).
NEW TOWN UTOPIA at Barbican (05 MAY 16:30 & 20:45):
- A feature documentary film about utopian dreams and concrete realities. The challenging, funny, and sometimes tragic story of the British new town of Basildon, Essex.
- Also at Picturehouse Central (05 MAY 14:00).
THE YOUNG KARL MARX at ICA (05 MAY 16:15 & 18:30):
- Between censorship and police raids, riots and political upheavals, Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels meet in Paris in 1844, and together, become defining voices for the burgeoning labour movement. Expect fiery exchanges of ideas over drunken bonding sessions, nurturing support from their adoring partners and masses of righteous indignation at the social inequalities magnified by the industrial revolution.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.
Featured attraction: THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC + VIVRE SA VIE (05 MAY 18:00 & 20:00) at Close-Up.