SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 05.07.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (regular runs).
Featured attraction: DARK PASSAGE (05 JUL 20:30), part of the FACE OF ANOTHER season at Close-Up (01 to 26 JUL): “[A] dreamlike noir predicated on and inspiring mad passion…. a movie of strange coincidences and occult connections” – J. Hoberman.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
’36 to ’77 + Q&A with directors Jon Sanders, James Scott & Humphry Trevelyan at BFI Southbank (05 JUL 20:30):
- A deeply reflective film-portrait of Myrtle Wardally, who joined the struggle to unionise the night cleaners of London. Part of the BFI’s Experimenta strand dedicated to “Artist Film and Alternative Moving Image Culture”.
CHISENHALE RESEARCH: BESIDES, IN TANGENT at Genesis Cinema (05 JUL 18:30):
- This new strand of reflects Chisenhale Gallery’s history of artist commissions and exhibitions. BESIDES, IN TANGENT is an evening of film screenings and readings devised by curator and writer Eliel Jones.
PIN CUSHION + Q&A with writer-director Deborah Haywood & cast at BFI Southbank (05 JUL 18:20):
- A dark fairy tale that explores the realities and effects of bullying.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BABY DRIVER at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (05 JUL 21:00).
- BEAUTIFUL THING 35mm Quote Along to raise money for The Outside Project at The Prince Charles (05 JUL 20:45).
- THE BLUE ANGEL at BFI (05 JUL 20:40).
- BOOM FOR REAL at ICA (05 JUL 14:20).
- DIRTY DANCING at Backyard Cinema (05 JUL 20:30).
- ITZHAK + Q&A with director Alison Chernick at Picturehouse Central (05 JUL 18:30).
- MOBILE HOMES + Q&A with director Vladimir De Fontenay London Premiere at Regent Street Cinema (05 JUL 19:30).
- NOCTURNAL ANIMALS presented by Talkies Community Cinema at Dugdale Centre (05 JUL 19:45).
- Onyeka Igwe presents NO DANCE, NO PALAVER at LUX Moving Image (05 JUL 19:00).
- RISKY BUSINESS at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (05 JUL 21:00).
- SHORT CUTS SUMMER EVENT with Desiree Akhavan at Rich Mix (05 JUL 19:00 – Free!).
- THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI presented by Sydenham Film Club at The Sydenham Centre (05 JUL 19:30).
- WHEN HARRY MET SALLY presented by Nomad outdoor cinema at Citypoint (05 JUL 19:00).
- WHIPLASH presented by Twickenham Film Club at The Exchange (05 JUL 19:30 – CANCELLED!).
- WHITNEY + RECORDED GOSPEL CHOIR presented by MOBO at Picturehouse Central (05 JUL 19:00 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (05 JUL 19:00 – CANCELLED!).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
19TH BIRTHDAY at Genesis Cinema (03 to 12 JUL – tickets £2.50!):
- THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT (05 JUL 21:00).
FACE OF ANOTHER at Close-Up (01 to 26 JUL):
- DARK PASSAGE (05 JUL 20:30).
S&M at Deptford Cinema (18 JUN to 20 JUL):
- BLUE VELVET (05 JUL 20:00).
SATIRE AND MORALITY: THE CINEMA OF MARCO BELLOCCHIO at BFI Southbank and Ciné Lumière (22 JUN to 31 JUL):
- Ciné Lumière: DORMANT BEAUTY (05 JUL 20:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Aperture: Asia & Pacific Film Festival (29 JUN to 08 JUL):
- RYUICHI SAKAMOTO: CODA + INTRO by Jasper Sharp (05 JUL 18:30, DocHouse).
THE ENDLESS at The Prince Charles (05 JUL 18:20):
- Directors Benson and Moorhead play brothers, former members of a “crazy UFO death cult”, who receive a mysterious video cassette in the mail. The tape contains an eerie calling card from their past, inviting them to attend an event called the Ascension.
TARPAULINS at DocHouse (05 JUL 14:30 & 20:40):
- The simple study of colourful tarpaulins reveals the destruction of modern-day urbanisation at the hands of insects. Los Angeles is losing the fight against a growing infestation of termites, and the city’s best weaponry is tarpaulins.
VAGABOND at BFI Southbank (05 JUL 18:10 & 20:30):
- Winner of the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, Agnès Varda’s VAGABOND is a cinematic landmark that introduced one of the most intriguing, complex and uncompromising female protagonists in modern cinema.
More films in London this week (A – Z): 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm at BFI IMAX (04 to 05 JUL). ARCADIA at BFI (until 05 JUL). THE CIAMBRA at Watermans (29 JUN to 05 JUL). ENTEBBE at JW3 (01 to 05 JUL). FRANTZ FANON: BLACK SKIN, WHITE MASK at ICA (01 to 05 JUL). HEREDITARY at Institute Of Light (29 JUN to 05 JUL). MARY AND THE WITCH’S FLOWER at The Prince Charles (29 JUN to 05 JUL). RYUICHI SAKAMOTO: CODA at DocHouse (29 JUN to 05 JUL). SHAKEDOWN at ICA (30 JUN to 05 JUL). THE SQUARE at ICA (30 JUN to 05 JUL). STUDIO 54 at DocHouse (29 JUN to 03 JUL). TIME TRIAL at Picturehouse Central (30 JUN to o5 JUL). ZAMA at Whirled Cinema (02 to 08 JUL).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
Follow us on Twitter & Instagram for news & updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.