RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: The Films of Jodie Mack, part of London International Animation Festival 2018 (08 DEC 18:30 & 20:00): Edge of Frame and Close-Up Cinema present a two-part programme of films by acclaimed animator Jodie Mack. Part one gathers a selection of shorts, and part two presents the UK premiere of her highly anticipated debut feature THE GRAND BIZARRE. Jodie Mack will be present for both parts and will host a discussion between.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS:
RADIANT CIRCUS interviewed guest curator Eleonora Pesci about THE PURSUIT OF WHOLENESS, a programme which pays tribute to avant-garde filmmaker Gregory Markopoulos at Close-Up Film Centre (07 to 09 DEC) > HERE.
RaMell Ross’ documentary HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING (2018) previewed at ICA last week followed by a conversation between the filmmaker & ICA Assistant Curator, Ifeanyi Awachie (04 DEC 2018). Read our RADIANT CIRCUS writeup > HERE.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
DR JEKYLL AND SISTER HYDE at The Cinema Museum (08 DEC 17:00):
- Misty Moon presents: A classic Hammer horror film directed by Roy Ward Baker. The film was their third adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson’s novella, and is notable for showing Jekyll transform into a female Hyde played by Martine Beswick.
- Followed by An Evening with Martine Beswick (08 DEC 20:00).
HALLELUJAH ANYHOW + Q&A with actor Doña Croll at BFI Southbank (08 DEC 14:00):
- African Odysseys presents: Screened originally at the London Film Festival in 1990, this landmark film is set within a black UK church congregation and follows the life of pastor Adlyn (Croll), whose childhood sweetheart returns and forces her to choose between her faith, her family and her future.
TELL SPRING NOT TO COME THIS YEAR + Masterclass with director Saeed Taji Farouky at The CentrE17 (08 DEC 18:00):
- Last Frame Club presents: Saeed Taji Farouky’s doc follows one unit of the Afghan National Army over the course of their first year of deployment in Helmand without NATO support. It is an intimate film about the human side of combat, told from a largely unheard and misrepresented perspective. The screening will be followed by an eye opening masterclass by the director on journalism and documentary filmmaking.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ARTHUR CHRISTMAS presented by Hither Green Cinema at St Swithun’s Church Hall (08 DEC 14:00).
- THE BOOKSHOP presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas Millennium Halls (08 DEC 20:00).
- THE FAVOURITE previews at BFI (08 DEC 18:00).
- GREMLINS presented by NOMAD at Citypoint (08 DEC 19:00).
- HOME ALONE at Genesis Cinema (08 DEC 15:45).
- THE IMAGE BOOK at Ciné Lumière (08 DEC 16:10).
- THE IMAGE BOOK at ICA (08 DEC 17:55).
- INTO THE VOID at House Of Vans (08 DEC 18:00).
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE + MEMORIES OF LADYWELL BATHS presented by Hither Green Cinema at St Swithun’s Church Hall (08 DEC 18:45).
- L.A. CONFIDENTIAL at Everyman Screen On The Green (08 DEC 23:30).
- THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL raising funds for Shelter at Rio Cinema (08 DEC 13:00).
- RAMS at Barbican (08 DEC 13:50).
- SUSPIRIA (2018) at Lexi Cinema (08 DEC 20:25).
- TOKYO STORY aka Tokyo monogatari at BFI (08 DEC 15:10).
- TV Preview: SOUND OF MOVIE MUSICALS + Q&A with Neil Brand at BFI Southbank (08 DEC 15:30).
- WIDOWS at Regent Street Cinema (08 DEC 13:30, 15:55 & 18:15).
- World Wide Weird’s All Dayer 2 70s cult cinema at The King & Queen (08 DEC 11:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
A CINEMA OF FORKING PATHS – FILMS INSPIRED BY BORGES! at The Horse Hospital & Curzon Bloomsbury (05 to 11 DEC):
- LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD + INTRO (08 DEC 11:00, Curzon Bloomsbury).
ALL NIGHT / DAY / MINI MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
CHRISTMAS AT THE PCC at The Prince Charles (30 NOV to 24 DEC):
- THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL (08 DEC 13:30).
- IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE (08 DEC 18:10).
- THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL Sing-A-Long (08 DEC 16:30 & 18:50).
THE CHRISTMAS LABYRINTH at Backyard Cinema (until 22 DEC):
- SNOW WHITE (08 DEC 11:30).
COMEDIES MADE IN FRANCE at Ciné Lumière (02 DEC to 16 JAN):
- RETURN OF THE HERO aka Le Retour du Héros (08 DEC 20:40).
COMEDY COUPLES at Barbican (05 to 13 DEC):
- LA CAGE AUX FOLLES (08 DEC 18:30).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- THE BELLES OF ST. TRINIAN’S + INTRO by actor Steve Nallon (08 DEC 13:00).
- Alternative Comedy: The Early Years + INTRO by Paul Jackson (08 DEC 20:20).
- KIND HEARTS & CORONETS (08 DEC 20:40).
- STIR CRAZY (08 DEC 23:00).
JANE FONDA: COMING OF AGE at BFI Southbank (OCT to DEC):
- COMING HOME 35mm (08 DEC 18:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- ArteKino Festival (01 to 31 DEC – various venues & online).
- Cinema Of Brazil: Female Perspectives (08 to 11 DEC).
- Disability Film Festival (07 to 09 DEC).
- French Film Festival (07 NOV to 09 DEC).
- London Film Week (04 to 10 DEC).
- London International Animation Festival (30 NOV to 09 DEC).
SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at Rio Cinema (08 DEC 14:45, 18:00 & 20:45):
- In an alternate present-day version of Oakland, California, Cassius “Cash” Green lives with his girlfriend Detroit in his Uncle’s garage. A job as a telemarketer introduces him to the key to professional success – using his “white voice”. But success as a Power Caller also opens the door to a macabre universe…
THEATRE OF WAR at DocHouse (08 DEC 20:30):
- A mix of Argentinian and British veterans are brought together to re-enact their experiences during the Falklands War. Through a handful of staged sequences, they revisit the visions that haunt them and discuss the muddy politics.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- CLIMAX at ICA (until 13 DEC). DISOBEDIENCE at JW3 (until 13 DEC). EVELYN at ICA (08 to 12 DEC). KINSHASA MAKAMBO at DocHouse (07 to 12 DEC). LUCKY at Whirled Cinema (11 to 16 DEC). METEORS at ICA (07 to 13 DEC). MUG at Watermans (07 to 13 DEC). NAE PASARAN! at ICA (until 12 DEC). THE OLD MAN AND THE GUN at ArtHouse Crouch End (07 to 13 DEC). POSTCARDS FROM LONDON at ICA (until 12 DEC). THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at ICA (until 13 DEC). SHOPLIFTERS at Rio Cinema (07 to 13 DEC). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at BFI (until 13 DEC). WHITE BOY RICK at Picturehouse Central (07 to 13 DEC – Other Picturehouses available). THE WILD PEAR TREE at ICA (until 13 DEC).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.