SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 09.02.20
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
CYRANO DE BERGERAC d. Augusto Genina, 1923 + Live musical accompaniment by John Sweeney at Phoenix Cinema (09 FEB 15:00);
- “The earliest film adaptation of Edmond Rostand’s classic tale of swashbuckling and unexpressed love, this 1923 version of the familiar French story (the nasally over-endowed poet, soldier and duelist Cyrano de Bergerac, his beloved Roxanne, her would-be lover Christian) features frame-by-frame Pathéchrome (Pathé Stencil Colour), a true labour-intensive rarity of the Silent Era and a real treat for the eye!”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by our monthly subscribers at Patreon & this month we’re celebrating 2 years’ of their support. Join us to get great rewards & help this site continue to build & grow.
Check out our epic roundup of February’s rep seasons & fests.
Read our in-depth guide to the Japan Foundation’s Touring Film Programme at ICA (31 JAN to 16 FEB). We’ve also posted the first of our event writeups: TEN DARK WOMEN (01 FEB 2020).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 + Discussion at Deptford Cinema (09 FEB 14:30):
- Deptford Cinema Film & Book Club presents: “Adapted from James Baldwin’s 1974 novella of the same title, this romantic drama follows a young black couple, Tish and Fonny, as they fall in love and start their own family amidst the struggles and racial tensions of seventies New York. When Fonny is falsely convicted of rape and sent to jail, the fierce and heavily pregnant Tish fights to clear his name.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 1917 d. Sam Mendes, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (09 FEB 15:40).
- A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD d. Marielle Heller, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (09 FEB 12:15).
- ARAKIMENTARI d. Travis Klose, 2004 presented by Deeper Into Movies at SET (09 FEB 14:00).
- A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE d. Elia Kazan, 1951 at Ciné Lumière (09 FEB 15:40).
- BAIT d Mark Jenkin, 2019 + Short: TRAVELOGUE (1920s Archival Footage) at BFI Southbank (09 FEB 18:15).
- THE BIG MEETING d. Daniel Draper, 2019 presented by London Socialist Film Co-op at Bolivar Hall (09 FEB 11:00).
- BOB MARLEY: THE MAKING OF A LEGEND d. Ester Anderson & Gian Godoy, 2011 presented by POP-Corn at Poplar Union (09 FEB 14:00 – FREE!).
- CYRANO DE BERGERAC 4K d. Jean-Paul Rappeneau, 1990 at Regent Street Cinema (09 FEB 19:30).
- EAT THE PEACH d. Peter Ormrod, 1986 at Irish Cultural Centre (09 FEB 18:00).
- E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL d. Steven Spielberg, 1982 at Catford Mews (09 FEB 11:00).
- FOR SAMA d. Waad al-Kateab & Edward Watts, 2019 at DocHouse (09 FEB 20:00 ).
- JOJO RABBIT d. Taika Waititi, 2019 at Rich Mix (09 FEB 15:15).
- MONSOON WEDDING d. Mira Nair, 2001 + 3-Course Lunch At The India Club (09 FEB 13:30).
- ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (09 FEB 18:00).
- ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 at Rich Mix (09 FEB 20:00).
- OUTSIDE THE CITY d. Nick Hamer, 2019 at The Lexi (09 FEB 14:00).
- THE ROOM w/ Tommy Wiseau Live On Stage at The Prince Charles (09 FEB 20:30).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ACADEMY AT REGENT ST. at Regent Street Cinema (JAN to FEB):
- TOP HAT 35mm d. Mark Sandrich, 1935 (09 FEB 14:30).
AFRICAN IDENTITIES REBORN at DocHouse (31 JAN to 16 FEB):
- TALKING ABOUT TREES d. Suhaib Gasmelbari, 2019 (09 FEB 14:00).
ALEJANDRO JODOROWSKY at The Prince Charles (JAN to FEB):
- FANDO Y LIS d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1968 (09 FEB 12:15).
- THE HOLY MOUNTAIN d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973 (09 FEB 20:00).
AUTOBIOGRAPHY & AUTOFICTION at Ciné Lumière (02 FEB to 31 MAR):
- AMARCORD d. Federico Fellini, 1973 (09 FEB 14:00).
BEST OF 2019 at Ciné Lumière (FEB to MAR):
- FOR SAMA d. Waad al- Khateab & Edward Watts, 2019 (09 FEB 20:35).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: MAN VS NATURE at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- THE JUNGLE BOOK d. Zoltan Korda, 1942 (09 FEB 12:50).
- THE GOLD RUSH d. Charles Chaplin, 1925 (09 FEB 15:20).
- FITZCARRALDO d. Werner Herzog, 1982 (09 FEB 19:50).
ELIA KAZAN: THE ACTORS’ DIRECTOR at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- EAST OF EDEN 4K d. Elia Kazan, 1955 (09 FEB 17:55).
- MAN ON A TIGHTROPE 4K d. Elia Kazan, 1953 (09 FEB 20:00).
- Re-release: A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE d. Elia Kazan, 1951 (07 to 20 FEB).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up (DEC to FEB):
- LA DOLCE VITA d. Federico Fellini, 1960 (09 FEB 19:00).
FELLINI at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- 8½ 4K aka Otto e mezzo d. Federico Fellini, 1963 (09 FEB 15:10).
- AMACORD 35mm d. Federico Fellini, 1973 (09 FEB 17:20).
FIND YOUR MUSE at Catford Mews (FEB):
- MOONLIGHT d. Barry Jenkins, 2016 (09 FEB 17:00).
HAPPINESS IS A STATE OF MIND: JOY & DESPAIR IN JAPANESE CINEMA at ICA (31 JAN to 16 FEB):
- HER SKETCHBOOK aka Sekai wa kyo kara kimi no mono d. Ozaki Masaya, 2017 + Q&A with the director (09 FEB 13:30).
- BENTO HARASSMENT aka Kyo mo iyagarase bento d. Tsukamoto Renpei, 2019 (09 FEB 16:10).
- THE HOUSE WHERE THE MERMAID SLEEPS aka Ningyo no nemuru ie d. Tsutsumi Yukihiko, 2018 (09 FEB 18:20).
THE OSCARS – AND THE NOMINEES ARE… at The Prince Charles (FEB to MAR):
- JOJO RABBIT d. Taika Waititi, 2019 at The Prince Charles (07 to 13 FEB/Check venue for details).
OSCAR® WEEK 2020 at Barbican (07 to 13 FEB):
- HONEYLAND d. Tamara Kotevska & Ljubo Stefanov, 2019 (09 FEB 14:00).
- LE MANS ’66 aka Ford v Ferrari d. James Mangold, 2019 (09 FEB 16:00).
- THE IRISHMAN d. Martin Scorsese, 2019 (09 FEB 19:05).
PRE-CODE AT REGENT ST. at Regent Street Cinema (JAN to FEB):
- FORBIDDEN d. Frank Capra, 1932 (09 FEB 17:00).
ROMCOMS at House Of Vans (06 FEB to 01 MAR – FREE!/No booking required):
- CRAZY STUPID LOVE d. Glenn Ficarra & John Requa, 2011 (09 FEB 14:00 & 16:00).
THE SAFDIE BROTHERS at The Prince Charles (JAN):
- UNCUT GEMS 35mm d. Josh Safdie & Benny Safdie, 2019 (until 13 FEB).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD d. Marielle Heller, 2019 at JW3 (09 FEB 13:00 & 18:00):
- “Tom Hanks portrays beloved American children’s TV icon, Mister Rogers, in A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD, a timely story of kindness triumphing over cynicism, based on the true story of a real-life friendship between Fred Rogers and journalist Tom Junod.”
HUNTING FOR HEDONIA d. Pernille Rose Grønkjær, 2019 at DocHouse (09 FEB 16:00):
- “This fascinating festival favourite explores how the medical community is transforming lives through Deep Brain Stimulation. By manipulating specific neural pathways, DBS promises to transform the way we treat mental health disorders, addiction, and even obesity. As we probe the mysteries of the human brain, what kind of future lies ahead?”
MR. JONES d. Agnieszka Holland, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (09 FEB 19:10):
- “1933. Gareth Jones (James Norton) is an ambitious young Welsh journalist who gained fame after his report on being the first foreign journalist to fly with Hitler. Whilst working as an advisor to Lloyd George, he is now looking for his next big story. The Soviet “utopia” is all over the news, and Jones is intrigued as to how Stalin is financing the rapid modernisation of the Soviet Union.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- BAIT 35mm d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 at The Prince Charles (07 to 13 FEB). FANDO Y LIS d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1968 at Rio Cinema (07 to 13 FEB). THE LIGHTHOUSE d. Robert Eggers, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 13 FEB). LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 20 FEB). MARRIAGE STORY d. Noah Baumbach, 2019 at The Lexi (09 to 12 FEB). MISS AMERICANA: TAYLOR SWIFT d. Lana Wilson, 2020 at The Prince Charles (until 12 FEB). PARASITE d. Bong Joon-ho, 2019 at Rich Mix (07 to 13 FEB). THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD d. Armando Iannucci, 2020 at The Castle Cinema (until 20 FEB). QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 13 FEB). SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (10 to 16 FEB). TALKING ABOUT TREES d. Suhaib Gasmelbari, 2019 at DocHouse (until 13 FEB). THE UNORTHODOX d. Eliran Malka, 2018 presented by UK Jewish Film (09 to 13 FEB). UNCUT GEMS 35mm d. Josh Safdie & Benny Safdie, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 13 FEB). WAVES d. Trey Edward Shults, 2019 at Watermans (07 to 12 FEB).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.