RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
YOUR TURN d. Eliza Capai, 2019 + Intro/Performance by the RISE Collective at DocHouse (10 OCT 18:30):
- gal-dem film club presents: “Following the student movement from the protests of 2013 until the election of the new president, Jair Bolsonaro, in 2018, Your Turn captures an urgent time in Brazilian politics. In the wake of the economic and social crisis, students protest and occupy hundreds of schools.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
LUNCHTIME FILM SOCIETY is a brand new popup cinema screening daily programmes of bitesize films for busy City workers at the Bridewell Theatre in the City Of London (22 OCT to 01 NOV 2019).
> See our new trailer: HERE!
> Book here: sbf.org.uk/whats-on
Online at radiantcircus.com: The 13th Native Spirit Film Festival (12 to 20 OCT) is booking now. // BFI London Film Festival (02 to 13 OCT) is well underway – we picked our top ten best of the rest of the fest. // Ranjit S. Ruprai aka SUPAKINO has announced a new season of MIDNIGHT EXCESS at Rio Cinema. // Two venues are under threat – read the appeals from Screen25 in South Norwood and The Horse Hospital & lend support where you can.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
SHAKEDOWN d. Leilah Weinraub, 2018 + Talk with Kuchenga, Wesley Dykes & Chantelle Kartel at Rio Cinema (10 OCT 20:00):
- Opening night of LESBIENNALE 2019 by 4:3: “an intimate screening of ‘SHAKEDOWN’, Leilah Weinraub’s acclaimed 2018 documentary about the underground black lesbian strip club scene in early naughties Los Angeles. The screening will be followed by a panel discussion between writer Kuchenga, drag artist Wesley Dykes, Lesbian club night curator Chantella Martel, cultural producer Nadine Artois and chaired by Naeem Davis.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 3 FACES d. Jafar Panahi, 2018 presented by Das Kino at The Old Baths (10 OCT 21:00).
- A FAITHFUL MAN d. Louis Garrel, 2018 at The David Lean (10 OCT 14:30 & 19:30).
- AMA-SAN d. Claudia Varejão, 2016 at JW3 (10 OCT 18:30).
- Black History Month: BABYLON d. Franco Rosso, 1980 presented by Back Room Cinema at The Montpelier (10 OCT 19:30 – Show our exclusive voucher code “RADIANT19” on your phone at the door to book & save).
- CIELO d. Alison McAlpine, 2018 at ICA (10 OCT 17:00).
- DONNIE DARKO d. Richard Kelly, 2001 presented by The Dead Rabbit Whiskey at TT Liquor (10 OCT 18:30).
- HONEYLAND d. Tamara Kotevska & Ljubomir Stefanov at DocHouse (10 OCT 14:00).
- IMAGININGS – New Music and Film from Trinity Laban & Friends at Deptford Cinema (10 OCT 20:00).
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN… HOLLYWOOD d. Quentin Tarrantino, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (10 OCT 18:30).
- PAVAROTTI d. Ron Howard, 2019 at JW3 (10 OCT 10:00).
- US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 presented by The New Black Film Collective at Poplar Union (10 OCT 19:30 – FREE!).
- THE WATERMELON WOMAN d. Cheryl Dunee, 1996 for Black History Month at Genesis Cinema (10 OCT 18:45).
- ZANZIBAR SOCCER QUEENS d. Florence Ayisi, 2007 + Short at Bernie Grant Arts Centre (10 OCT 19:00).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
HITCHCOCKTOBER at The Birds E11 (03 OCT to 01 NOV – FREE!/Paid reservations & packages available!):
- VERTIGO d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1958 (10 OCT 20:00).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 (10 OCT 12:45).
THRILLERS & KILLERS & MONSTERS, OH MY! at The Prince Charles (27 SEP to 01 NOV):
- CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST d. Ruggero Deodato, 1980 (10 OCT 16:05).
- YOU’RE NEXT d. Adam Wingard, 2011 (10 OCT 21:00).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- BFI London Film Festival (02 to 13 OCT – read our RADIANT CIRCUS top ten best of the rest of the fest).
- Black Cultural Archives Film Festival (04 to 14 OCT).
- London Surf / Film Festival (09 to 12 OCT).
HITSVILLE: THE MAKING OF MOTOWN d. Gabe Turner & Benjamin Turner, 2019 + Pre-recorded Intro at DocHouse (10 OCT 16:30 & 21:00):
- “With a soundtrack that will have you dancing in your seat, if not in the street, HITSVILLE: THE MAKING OF MOTOWN celebrates the astronomical success and enduring cultural impact of Motown Records. Founder of Motown Berry Gordy and his long-standing friend and co-creator Smokey Robinson recall the beginnings of the company that had a radically progressive approach and was way ahead of its time.”
JOKER d. Todd Phillips, 2019 at The Lexi (10 OCT 15:00, 18:20 & 20:50):
- “This origin story for Batman’s arch nemesis suggests that Arthur Fleck – indelibly portrayed here by Joaquin Phoenix – is a man struggling to find his way in Gotham’s fractured society. A clown-for-hire by day, he aspires to be a stand-up comic at night, but finds the joke always seems to be on him.”
JUDY d. Rupert Goold, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (10 OCT 13:00, 15:40, 18:15 & 20:45):
- “Winter 1968 and showbiz legend Judy Garland (Renée Zellweger) arrives in Swinging London to perform in a sell-out run at The Talk of the Town. It is 30 years since she shot to global stardom in THE WIZARD OF OZ, but if her voice has weakened, its dramatic intensity has only grown.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- AMERICAN PSYCHO 35mm d. Mary Harron, 2000 at The Prince Charles (until 09 OCT). BAIT d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 10 OCT). CURTIZ d. as Yvan Topolanszky, 2018 at JW3 (until 10 OCT). THE FAREWELL d. Lulu Wang, 2019 at Barbican (until 10 OCT). FOR SAMA d. Waad Al-Khateab & Edward Watts, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 10 OCT). GOOD POSTURE d. Dolly Wells, 2019 at Rio Cinema (04 to 10 OCT). HUSTLERS d. Lorene Scafaria, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 10 OCT). THE LAST TREE d. Shola Amoo, 2019 at Peckhamplex (until 10 OCT). NORMAL d. Adele Tulli, 2019 at ICA (until 08 OCT). ONE CHILD NATION d. Nanfu Wang & Jialing Zhang, 2019 at DocHouse (04 to 09 OCT). PHOENIX d. Camilla Strøm Henriksen, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (07 to 13 OCT). ROJO d. Benjamín Naishtat, 2019 at Watermans (04 to 10 OCT). THE SOUVENIR d. Joanna Hogg, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 03 OCT).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.