SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 11.02.20
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
MONOS d. Alejandro Landes, 2019 + Intro at Curzon Wimbledon (11 FEB 20:30):
- Wimbledon Film Club presents: “The regimented life of a group of teenage guerrillas, living in a surreal landscape, mutates spectacularly when left to their own devices. Inspired by his native Colombia, Alejandro Landes’ drama spellbinds with disturbing universality.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by our monthly subscribers at Patreon & this month we’re celebrating 2 years’ of their support. Join us to get great rewards & help this site continue to build & grow.
Check out our epic roundup of February’s rep seasons & fests.
Read our in-depth guide to the Japan Foundation’s Touring Film Programme at ICA (31 JAN to 16 FEB). We’ve also posted the first of our event writeups: TEN DARK WOMEN (01 FEB 2020).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
British Animation Awards Public Choice 2 at Regent Street Cinema (11 FEB 18:30):
- “A chance for the public to vote on their favourite British short animation film and animated music video. BAA Public Choice programmes consist of a selection of outstanding short films and music videos from the entries to the British Animation Awards 2020. Also: Public Choice 3 (12 FEB 20:50).”
STOLEN LIFE 35mm d. Paul Czinner, 1939 + Intro by Vic Pratt at BFI Southbank (11 FEB 18:00);
- “Two Bergners for the price of one!’ promised the press material for STOLEN LIFE, a film offering the Austrian émigré the perfect subject for her return to the screen, playing identical twins who fall for the same man. One of the decade’s finest actors, Elisabeth Bergner embraced the dual role and gives a performance of understated naturalness and poignancy.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A HIDDEN LIFE d. Terrence Malick, 2019 at The Lexi (11 FEB 18:40).
- A HIDDEN LIFE d. Terrence Malick, 2019 at ICA (11 FEB 20:25).
- A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN d. Elia Kazan, 1945 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club (11 FEB 20:00).
- CACTUS FLOWER d. Gene Saks, 1969 at TT Liquor (11 FEB 18:30).
- THE HOLY MOUNTAIN d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973 at ICA (11 FEB 12:15).
- FOR SAMA d. Waad al-Kateab & Edward Watts, 2019 at DocHouse (11 FEB 18:20).
- I’M NOT THERE d. Todd Haynes, 2007 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Peckham Levels (11 FEB 19:30 – FREE!).
- LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig at Rich Mix (11 FEB 15:20).
- THE MAN WHO KILLED DON QUIXOTE d. Terry Gilliam, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (11 FEB 20:45).
- MARRIAGE STORY d. Noah Baumbach, 2019 at The David Lean (11 FEB 19:30).
- MULHOLLAND DRIVE d. David Lynch, 2001 presented Westmnster Film Society at University of Westminster, Harrow Campus (11 FEB 18:00).
- THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW d. Jim Sharman, 1975 presented by The Orb Space At Blackfriars Settlement (11 FEB 18:30).
- THE ROOM w/ Tommy Wiseau Live On Stage at The Prince Charles (11 FEB 18:15 & 21:00).
- SALT OF THE EARTH d. Herbert Biberman, 1954 at Sands Films (11 FEB 20:00).
- SHOW ME THE PICTURE: THE STORY OF JIM MARSHALL d. Alfred George Bailey, 2019 at DocHouse (11 FEB 14:30).
- TEHRAN CITY OF LOVE d. Ali Jaberansari, 2018 + Q&A with the director at London Film School (11 FEB 18:00 – FREE!).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ALEJANDRO JODOROWSKY at The Prince Charles (JAN to FEB):
- THE HOLY MOUNTAIN d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973 (11 FEB 20:30).
AUTOBIOGRAPHY & AUTOFICTION at Ciné Lumière (02 FEB to 31 MAR):
- AMARCORD d. Federico Fellini, 1973 (11 FEB 18:10).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: MAN VS NATURE at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- KING KONG 35mm d. Merian C Cooper & Ernest B Schoedsack, 1933 (11 FEB 20:40).
CENTRE OF TAIWAN STUDIES FILM WEEK at SOAS (10 to 12 FEB – FREE!):
- Taiwan Retro Cinema: Nostalgia Talk by Dr Corrado Neri (11 FEB 15:00 – FREE!).
- SIX SUSPECTS d. Lin Tuan-qiu, 1965 (11 FEB 18:00 – FREE!).
ELIA KAZAN: THE ACTORS’ DIRECTOR at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- Re-release: A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE d. Elia Kazan, 1951 (07 to 20 FEB/Check venue for details).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up (DEC to FEB):
- SATYRICON d. Federico Fellini, 1969 (11 FEB 20:15).
FELLINI at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- 8½ 4K aka Otto e mezzo d. Federico Fellini, 1963 (11 FEB 20:10).
FIND YOUR MUSE at Catford Mews (FEB):
- CAROL d. Todd Haynes, 2015 (11 FEB 20:30).
THE OSCARS – AND THE NOMINEES ARE… at The Prince Charles (FEB to MAR):
- JOJO RABBIT d. Taika Waititi, 2019 at The Prince Charles (11 FEB 13:00, 15:30 & 18:00).
OSCAR® WEEK 2020 at Barbican (07 to 13 FEB):
- PARASITE d. Bong Joon-ho, 2019 (11 FEB 20:35).
THE SAFDIE BROTHERS at The Prince Charles (JAN):
- UNCUT GEMS 35mm d. Josh Safdie & Benny Safdie, 2019 (11 FEB 13:10).
TAIWAN’S LOST COMMERCIAL CINEMA at King’s College London & SOAS (07 to 11 FEB – FREE!):
- SIX SUSPECTS d. Lin Tuan-qiu, 1965 (11 FEB 18:00 – SOAS/FREE!).
- See also CENTRE OF TAIWAN STUDIES FILM WEEK (10 to 12 FEB).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today – let us know what we’re missing!
A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD d. Marielle Heller, 2019 at JW3 (11 FEB 15:30 & 20:20):
- “Tom Hanks portrays beloved American children’s TV icon, Mister Rogers, in A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD, a timely story of kindness triumphing over cynicism, based on the true story of a real-life friendship between Fred Rogers and journalist Tom Junod.”
HUNTING FOR HEDONIA d. Pernille Rose Grønkjær, 2019 at DocHouse (11 FEB 16:30):
- “This fascinating festival favourite explores how the medical community is transforming lives through Deep Brain Stimulation. By manipulating specific neural pathways, DBS promises to transform the way we treat mental health disorders, addiction, and even obesity. As we probe the mysteries of the human brain, what kind of future lies ahead?”
MR. JONES d. Agnieszka Holland, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (11 FEB 20:40):
- “1933. Gareth Jones (James Norton) is an ambitious young Welsh journalist who gained fame after his report on being the first foreign journalist to fly with Hitler. Whilst working as an advisor to Lloyd George, he is now looking for his next big story. The Soviet “utopia” is all over the news, and Jones is intrigued as to how Stalin is financing the rapid modernisation of the Soviet Union.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- BAIT 35mm d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 at The Prince Charles (07 to 13 FEB). FANDO Y LIS d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1968 at Rio Cinema (07 to 13 FEB). THE LIGHTHOUSE d. Robert Eggers, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 13 FEB). LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 20 FEB). MARRIAGE STORY d. Noah Baumbach, 2019 at The Lexi (09 to 12 FEB). MISS AMERICANA: TAYLOR SWIFT d. Lana Wilson, 2020 at The Prince Charles (until 12 FEB). PARASITE d. Bong Joon-ho, 2019 at Rich Mix (07 to 13 FEB). THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD d. Armando Iannucci, 2020 at The Castle Cinema (until 20 FEB). QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 13 FEB). SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (10 to 16 FEB). TALKING ABOUT TREES d. Suhaib Gasmelbari, 2019 at DocHouse (until 13 FEB). THE UNORTHODOX d. Eliran Malka, 2018 presented by UK Jewish Film (09 to 13 FEB). UNCUT GEMS 35mm d. Josh Safdie & Benny Safdie, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 13 FEB). WAVES d. Trey Edward Shults, 2019 at Watermans (07 to 12 FEB).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.