RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Crawling Intruders inc. CRAWLSPACE d. David Schmoeller, 1986 + INTRUDER d. Scott Spiegel, 1989 at The King & Queen (15 FEB 18:00):
- World Wide Weird! presents: “A double bill of independent 80s horror with live music from keyboard maestro Gary Baxter’s Random Loop Generator! CRAWLSPACE: Klaus Kinski being… Klaus Kinski! INTRUDER: From the team behind the EVIL DEAD films!”
RADIANT CIRCUS is creating an alternative screen guide for London with the help of our monthly subscribers. We’ve set a 2020 target of 100 new subscribers to keep us listing far into the future. Join us to get great rewards & help our unique site continue to build & grow.
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
The Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme (31 JAN to 16 FEB) returns to ICA for its final weekend. We’ve posted the second of our event writeups: HER SKETCHBOOK+ Intro/Q&A with director Masaya Ozaki (02 FEB 2020). RADIANT CIRCUS also went to see TEN DARK WOMEN (01 FEB 2020) on the opening weekend
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
London and Landlords: An Unfinished Video History by William Fowler & Matthew Harle at The Horse Hospital (15 FEB 19:00):
- “After 25 years of presenting alternative and underground culture, the future of the Horse Hospital hangs in the balance. Its landlords have demanded a 333% increase in rent and the Horse Hospital has been given a deadline of February 28th to negotiate with their proprietors, otherwise it faces eviction. This is not an isolated story. Here, we contextualise the Horse Hospital’s current struggle in moving image history in an impressionistic, carefully compiled mix drawing from a rich array of sources, including: broadcast television, community video, corporate video and alternative film.”
One Night, One Country: JAPAN at The Cinema Museum (15 FEB 18:00):
- South Social presents: “Take a trip to Japan with cinema, dance and flavours. Intriguing feature DEMOLITION GIRL (d. Genta Matsugami, 2019), about a girl earning money as a video fetish performer, is followed by a panel with academic experts on Japan. Plus a dance performance by Yukiko Masui, a delicious menu and a quick workshop on sushi-making, courtesy of chef Keiko Urakawa.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- Concrete & Ink: Storytelling and the Future of Visionary Architecture Walk in Harlow Town, Essex + Film Screenings & Panel Discussion at The Whitechapel Gallery (15 FEB 11:00).
- Exploring the 1980s Korean film collectives with Kim Hong-joon talk at Birkbeck Cinema (15 FEB 18:00 – FREE!).
- FANDO Y LIS d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1968 at Rio Cinema (15 FEB 12:00).
- FREEDOM FIELDS d. Naziha Arebi, 2018 + Q&A with the director presented by Other Cinemas at The Yellow (15 FEB 19:00 – FREE!).
- Indonesian Film Screening: THE BAJAU d. Dhandy Dwi Laksono + Panel at Goldsmiths University of London (15 FEB 13:00 – FREE!).
- Life Writing: Paul Hallam Remembered at Birkbeck Cinema (15 FEB 14:00 – FREE!).
- QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at BFI (15 FEB 18:15).
- TALKING ABOUT TREES d. Suhaib Gasmelbari, 2019 at ICA (15 FEB 12:45).
- WAITING FOR ANYA d. Ben Cookson, 2020 + Q&A with the director & writer Michael Morpurgo at BFI (15 FEB 13:00).
- WAVES d. Trey Edward Shults, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (15 FEB 14:00, 17:00 & 20:00).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AFRICAN IDENTITIES REBORN at DocHouse (31 JAN to 16 FEB):
- MALI BLUES d. Lutz Gregor, 2017 (15 FEB 17:50).
- WHEN LAMBS BECOME LIONS d. Jon Kasbe, 2018 (daily 14 to 20 FEB 18:30/Check venue for details).
A WORM’S TAIL VIEW IS OFTEN THE TRUE ONE: FILMS BY PERE PORTABELLA at Close-Up (26 NOV 2019 to 15 FEB 2020):
- Jonathan Rosenbaum on Portabella Masterclass (15 FEB 13:00); and, HORTENSIA/BEANCÉ d. Jose Antonio Maenza, 1969/2020 (15 FEB 19:30).
- See also: JONATHAN ROSENBAUM ON PORTABELLA & SAEED-VAFA at Close-Up (15 to 16 FEB).
BEST OF THE DECADE at The Prince Charles (FEB to JUN):
- LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 (14 to 20 FEB/Check venue for details).
- BAIT 35mm d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 (14 to 19 FEB/Check venue for details).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: MAN VS NATURE at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- LORD OF THE FLIES d. Peter Brook, 1963 (15 FEB 20:45).
BLOOD ON EARTH: FILMS FROM THE AFRICAN & CARIBBEAN DIASPORA at Deptford Cinema (until 16 MAY 2020):
- RAFIKI d. Wanuri Kahiu, 2018 (15 FEB 19:30).
ELIA KAZAN: THE ACTORS’ DIRECTOR at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- ON THE WATERFRONT 4K d. Elia Kazan, 1954 (15 FEB 15:40).
- Re-release: A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE d. Elia Kazan, 1951 (15 FEB 17:50 & 20:30).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up (DEC to FEB):
- LAST YEAR IN MARIENBAD d. Alain Resnais, 1961 (15 FEB 20:30).
FELLINI at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- AND THE SHIP SAILS ON 4K aka E la nave va d. Federico Fellini, 1983 (15 FEB 15:10).
- JULIET OF THE SPIRITS 4K aka Giulietta degli spiriti d. Federico Fellini, 1965 (15 FEB 17:30).
GALENTINES & VALENTINES CELEBRATIONS at The Prince Charles (13 to 20 FEB):
- FIRST LOVE aka Hatsukoi d. Takashi Miike, 2019 (14 to 20 FEB/Check venue for details).
- AMELIE 35mm aka Le fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain d. Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001 (14 to 20 FEB/Check venue for details);
- THE BEFORE TRILOGY d. Richard Linklater, 1995, 2004 & 2013 (15 FEB 12:00/Some 35mm – check venue for details).
- WHEN HARRY MET SALLY d. Rob Reiner, 1989 (15 FEB 18:05).
- THE PRINCESS BRIDE d. Rob Reiner, 1987 (15 FEB 20:45).
- CALL ME BY YOUR NAME d. Luca Guadagnino, 2017 (15 FEB 21:00).
HAPPINESS IS A STATE OF MIND: JOY & DESPAIR IN JAPANESE CINEMA at ICA (31 JAN to 16 FEB):
- MY LOVE STORY!! aka Ore Monogatari!! d. Kawai Hayato, 2015 (15 FEB 14:40).
- ‘Japan Now’: I GO GAGA, MY DEAR aka Bokemasukara, yoroshiku onegaishimasu d. Nobutomo Naoko, 2018 (15 Feb 16:45).
JONATHAN ROSENBAUM ON PORTABELLA & SAEED-VAFA at Close-Up (15 to 16 FEB):
- VAMPIR-CUADECUC d. Pere Portabella, 1971 (15 Feb 13:00).
- WARSAW BRIDGEd. Pere Portabella, 1989 (15 FEB 14:30).
- Jonathan Rosenbaum: Portabella and Continuity(15 FEB 16:00).
- Q&A with Pere Portabella (15 FEB 17:30).
- HORTENSIA/BEANCÉ d. Jose Antonio Maenza, 1969/2020 (15 FEB 19:30) (ticketed separately).
- Weekend pass available (£60).
THE OSCARS – AND THE NOMINEES ARE… at The Prince Charles (FEB to MAR):
- JOJO RABBIT d. Taika Waititi, 2019 (until 20 FEB/Check venue for details).
RIGHTS AT RISK: YESTERDAY / TOMORROW at DocHouse (06 FEB to 01 MAR):
- SOLIDARITY d. Lucy Parker, 2019 (14 to 20 FEB/Check venue for details).
ROMCOMS at House Of Vans (06 FEB to 01 MAR – FREE!/No booking required):
- NOTTING HILL d. Roger Michell, 1999 (15 FEB 15:00 & 17:30).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Catfish Shorts! Short Film Festival (15 FEB).
- Doker FilmFest (13 to 15 FEB).
- Ealing Music & Film Festival (12 to 16 FEB).
A PARIS EDUCATION d. Jean-Paul Civeyrac, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (15 FEB 16:40):
- “Jean-Paul Civeyrac’s partly autobiographical drama, gorgeously shot in black and white, tells the story of Etienne, a young impressionable man who goes to Paris to study filmmaking at the Sorbonne. He meets Mathias and Jean-Noël who share his passion for films, and soon falls under the thrall of the seductive Mathias.”
FIRST LOVE d. Takashi Miike, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 21:00):
- “The film is the prolific auteur, Takashi Miike, at his most fun and anarchic, a noir-tinged yakuza film blending genres in the story of a young boxer and a call girl, who fall passionately in love while getting innocently caught up in a drug-smuggling scheme over the course of one night in Tokyo.”
THE SHARKS d. Lucía Garibaldi, 2019 at ICA (15 FEB 14:40):
- “The first feature-length film from Uruguayan director Lucía Garibaldi is a study of romantic fumbling and youthful obsession. Fourteen-year-old Rosina lives in a beach resort rumoured to be plagued by sharks. Upon meeting the older Joselo, she feels a desire to bridge the distance between their bodies and begins to circle him, as if inspired by the mysterious predators.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD d. Marielle Heller, 2019 at Watermans (14 to 27 FEB). BAIT 35mm d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 19 FEB). EMMA d. Autumn de Wilde, 2020 at Phoenix Cinema (14 to 20 FEB). FARMING d. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (17 to 23 FEB). FOR SAMA d. Waad al-Kateab & Edward Watts, 2019 (15 to 20 FEB). LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 20 FEB). MR. JONES d. Agnieszka Holland, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (until 20 FEB FEB). THE OTHER STORY d. Avi Nesher presented by UK Jewish Film at JW3 (16 to 20 FEB). PARASITE d. Bong Joon-ho, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 20 FEB). THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD d. Armando Iannucci, 2020 at The Castle Cinema (until 18 FEB). QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 20 FEB). SONIC THE HEDGEHOG d. Jeff Fowler, 2020 at The Castle Cinema (14 to 23 FEB). TALKING ABOUT TREES d. Suhaib Gasmelbari, 2019 at DocHouse (until 19 FEB)
Subscribe & support
“Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London)
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our unique listings emailed as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) keep listing far into the future, 2) expand our content to explore more indie screen events, & 3) recruit & reward a team of new contributors. Our target in 2020? One hundred new monthly subscribers supporting what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.