RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Short Film Club: From Venice With Love & Squalor at Phoenix Cinema (16 FEB 15:40):
- “A short film programme of five award-winning shorts screened over the years at Venice Film Festival, based around the theme of love.”
RADIANT CIRCUS is creating an alternative screen guide for London with the help of our monthly subscribers. We’ve set a 2020 target of 100 new subscribers to keep us listing far into the future. Join us to get great rewards & help our unique site continue to build & grow.
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
The Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme (31 JAN to 16 FEB) returns to ICA for its final weekend. We’ve posted the second of our event writeups: HER SKETCHBOOK + Intro/Q&A with director Masaya Ozaki (02 FEB 2020). RADIANT CIRCUS also went to see TEN DARK WOMEN (01 FEB 2020) on the opening weekend
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 2040 d. Damon Gameau, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (16 FEB 13:15).
- A STAR IS BORN d. George Cukor, 1954 presented by Sunday Musicals at The Cinema Museum (16 FEB 14:00).
- BOB’s BURGERS Marathon presented by Deeper Into Movies at Peckham Levels (16 FEB 15:00 – FREE!).
- CASABLANCA d. Michael Curtiz, 1942 at Picturehouse Bromley (16 FEB 12:00 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- FANDO Y LIS d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1968 at Rio Cinema (16 FEB 12:45).
- THE KILLING FIELDS d. Roland Joffé, 1984 presented by Exotic Travel Film Club at The Exhibit (16 FEB 14:30).
- QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at BFI (16 FEB 15:20).
- SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (16 FEB 18:00).
- TALKING ABOUT TREES d. Suhaib Gasmelbari, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (16 FEB 13:20).
- WAVES d. Trey Edward Shults, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (16 FEB 19:30)
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ACADEMY AT REGENT ST. at Regent Street Cinema (JAN to FEB):
- BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN d. Sergei Eisenstein, 1925 (16 FEB 14:30).
AFRICAN IDENTITIES REBORN at DocHouse (31 JAN to 16 FEB):
- MALI BLUES d. Lutz Gregor, 2017 (16 FEB 20:45).
- WHEN LAMBS BECOME LIONS d. Jon Kasbe, 2018 (daily 14 to 20 FEB 18:30/Check venue for details).
AUTOBIOGRAPHY & AUTOFICTION at Ciné Lumière (02 FEB to 31 MAR):
- THE MIRROR d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1975 (16 FEB 14:00).
BEST OF THE DECADE at The Prince Charles (FEB to JUN):
- LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 (14 to 20 FEB/Check venue for details).
- BAIT 35mm d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 (14 to 19 FEB/Check venue for details).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: MAN VS NATURE at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- THE WAGES OF FEAR 4K aka Le salaire de la peur d. Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1953 (16 FEB 20:00).
ELIA KAZAN: THE ACTORS’ DIRECTOR at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- EAST OF EDEN 4K d. Elia Kazan, 1955 (16 FEB 17:50).
- Re-release: A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE d. Elia Kazan, 1951 (16 FEB 15:00, 17:40 & 20:20).
FELLINI at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- FELLINI’S ROMA 4K aka Roma d. Federico Fellini, 1972 (16 FEB 15:10).
- AMACORD 35mm d. Federico Fellini, 1973 (16 FEB 20:15).
GALENTINES & VALENTINES CELEBRATIONS at The Prince Charles (13 to 20 FEB):
- FIRST LOVE aka Hatsukoi d. Takashi Miike, 2019 (14 to 20 FEB/Check venue for details);
- AMELIE 35mm aka Le fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain d. Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001 (14 to 20 FEB/Check venue for details);
- TRUE ROMANCE 35mm d. Tony Scott, 1993 (16 FEB 18:00).
HAPPINESS IS A STATE OF MIND: JOY & DESPAIR IN JAPANESE CINEMA at ICA (31 JAN to 16 FEB):
- OUR MEAL FOR TOMORROW aka Bokura no gohan wa ashita de matterud. Ichii Masahide, 2017 (16 FEB 14:30).
- RIDE YOUR WAVE aka Kimi to, Nami ni Noretara d. Yuasa Masaaki, 2019 (16 FEB 16:45).
JONATHAN ROSENBAUM ON PORTABELLA & SAEED-VAFA at Close-Up (15 to 16 FEB):
- JERRY AND ME + A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME: WRIGHT OR WRONG d. Mehrnaz Saeed-Vafa, 2013 + 2020 (16 FEB 16:00).
- Jonathan & Michael Rosenbaum on Mehrnaz Saeed-Vafa (16 FEB 18:15).
- SALESS: FAR FROM HOME d. Mehrnaz Saeed-Vafa, 1998 + A SIMPLE EVENT d. Sohrab Shahid Saless, 1973 (16 FEB 20:30 – Ticketed separately).
THE OSCARS – AND THE NOMINEES ARE… at The Prince Charles (FEB to MAR):
- JOJO RABBIT d. Taika Waititi, 2019 (until 20 FEB/Check venue for details).
PRE-CODE AT REGENT ST. at Regent Street Cinema (JAN to FEB):
- RED DUST 35mm d. Victor Flemming, 1932 (16 FEB 17:00).
RIGHTS AT RISK: YESTERDAY / TOMORROW at DocHouse (06 FEB to 01 MAR):
- SOLIDARITY d. Lucy Parker, 2019 (14 to 20 FEB/Check venue for details).
- EMINENT MONSTERS: A MANUAL FOR MODERN TORTURE d. Stephen Bennett, 2018 + Panel Discussion with the director (16 FEB 14:15).
ROMCOMS at House Of Vans (06 FEB to 01 MAR – FREE!/No booking required):
- THE PRINCESS BRIDE d. Rob Reiner, 1987 (16 FEB 14:00 & 16:00).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Ealing Music & Film Festival (12 to 16 FEB).
- North Europe International Film Festival (16 to 21 FEB).
- The Second Larry David Festival (16 FEB)
A PARIS EDUCATION d. Jean-Paul Civeyrac, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (16 FEB 18:45):
- “Jean-Paul Civeyrac’s partly autobiographical drama, gorgeously shot in black and white, tells the story of Etienne, a young impressionable man who goes to Paris to study filmmaking at the Sorbonne. He meets Mathias and Jean-Noël who share his passion for films, and soon falls under the thrall of the seductive Mathias.”
FIRST LOVE d. Takashi Miike, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (16 FEB 20:30):
- “The film is the prolific auteur, Takashi Miike, at his most fun and anarchic, a noir-tinged yakuza film blending genres in the story of a young boxer and a call girl, who fall passionately in love while getting innocently caught up in a drug-smuggling scheme over the course of one night in Tokyo.”
THE SHARKS d. Lucía Garibaldi, 2019 at ICA (16 FEB – Not screening today, returns 18 FEB 21:25 / 20 FEB 16:20):
- “The first feature-length film from Uruguayan director Lucía Garibaldi is a study of romantic fumbling and youthful obsession. Fourteen-year-old Rosina lives in a beach resort rumoured to be plagued by sharks. Upon meeting the older Joselo, she feels a desire to bridge the distance between their bodies and begins to circle him, as if inspired by the mysterious predators.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD d. Marielle Heller, 2019 at Watermans (14 to 27 FEB). BAIT 35mm d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 19 FEB). EMMA d. Autumn de Wilde, 2020 at Phoenix Cinema (14 to 20 FEB). FARMING d. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (17 to 23 FEB). FOR SAMA d. Waad al-Kateab & Edward Watts, 2019 (15 to 20 FEB). LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 20 FEB). MR. JONES d. Agnieszka Holland, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (until 20 FEB FEB). THE OTHER STORY d. Avi Nesher presented by UK Jewish Film at JW3 (16 to 20 FEB). PARASITE d. Bong Joon-ho, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 20 FEB). THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD d. Armando Iannucci, 2020 at The Castle Cinema (until 18 FEB). QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 20 FEB). SONIC THE HEDGEHOG d. Jeff Fowler, 2020 at The Castle Cinema (14 to 23 FEB). TALKING ABOUT TREES d. Suhaib Gasmelbari, 2019 at DocHouse (until 19 FEB)
Subscribe & support
“Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London)
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our unique listings emailed as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) keep listing far into the future, 2) expand our content to explore more indie screen events, & 3) recruit & reward a team of new contributors. Our target in 2020? One hundred new monthly subscribers supporting what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.