RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
SUNRISE WITH SEA MONSTERS d. Myles Painter, 2019 + Q&A with the director at Deptford Cinema (19 JAN 17:15):
- Wavelength Docs presents: “Following an old desktop hard drive as it wanders around the British landscape, this shot on 16mm film is an original addition to the sub-genre of unusual travelogues in British cinema. Considering the storage and preservation of our knowledge for future humanity, the film works through concepts of memory, data, archives, humanism and futurity, with director Myles Painter using a common hard drive as a starting point for thought-provoking conversations with scientists, technologists and philosophers.”
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 2040 d. Damon Gameau, 2019 at Catford Mews (19 JAN 14:00).
- BUDDIES d. Arthur J. Bressan, 1985 at Regent Street Cinema (19 JAN 20:30).
- COINCOIN AND THE EXTRA-HUMANS: GUNK, GUNK, GUNK!!! d. Bruno Dumont, 2018 at ICA (19 JAN 12:30).
- EIGTH GRADE d. Bo Burnham, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (19 JAN 18:00).
- EL TOPO + THE HOLY MOUNTAIN d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1970 + 1973 presented by Deeper Into Movies at The Curtain (19 JAN 16:00).
- EL TOPO d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1970 at ICA (19 JAN 21:25).
- THE KINGMAKER d. Lauren Greenfield, 2019 at DocHouse (19 JAN 20:00).
- LA DOLCE VITA 4K d. Federico Fellini, 1960 at Ciné Lumière (19 JAN 18:10).
- LULLABY aka Chanson Douce d. Lucie Borleteau, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (19 JAN 20:30).
- MARSHAWN LYNCH: A HISTORY d. David Shields, 2019 at ICA (19 JAN 16:45).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
1999 – 2019: EXPLORING 20 YEARS OF SCI-FI at The Prince Charles (2020):
- SERENITY d. Joss Whedon, 2005 (19 JAN 18:05).
ACADEMY AT REGENT ST. at Regent Street Cinema (JAN to FEB):
- CITIZEN KANE d. Orson Welles, 1941 (19 JAN 14:00).
ALTERNATE REALITIES at The Barbican (13 to 19 JAN):
- TROUGH THE WARDROBE Installation (13 to 19 JAN – FREE! Check venue for timings).
- ECHO Installation (13 to 19 JAN – FREE! Check venue for timings).
AMERICAN NEW WAVE at The Prince Charles (2020):
- WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? d. Mike Nichols, 1966 (19 JAN 15:30).
- FACES 35mm d. John Cassavetes, 1968 (19 JAN 20:45).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS at BFI Southbank (DEC to JAN):
- 12 ANGRY MEN d. Sidney Lumet, 1957 (19 JAN 16:50).
CAROLE LOMBARD: THE BRIGHTEST STAR at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- MR & MRS SMITH 35mm d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1941 (19 JAN 14:20).
CHINESE NEW YEAR at BFI Southbank (19 to 26 JAN):
- LITTLE Q d. Wing-Cheong Law, 2019 (19 JAN 15:00).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up (23 DEC to 31 JAN):
- L’AVVENTURA d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960 (19 JAN 19:30).
FELLINI at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- Weekender: Viva Fellini! (18 to 19 JAN – check venue for full programme).
- Walkers & Wanderers: I VITELLONI 4K d. Federico Fellini, 1953 (19 JAN 20:10).
- Society & Spectacle: FELLINI SATYRICON 4K d. Federico Fellini, 1969 + Intro by Pasquale Iannone (19 JAN 14:00).
- Re-release: LA DOLCE VITA 4K d. Federico Fellini, 1960 Previews (06 to 23 JAN).
HAPPY B-DAY JIM! at House Of Vans (16 JAN to 02 FEB – FREE!/No booking required):
- YES MAN d. Peyton Reed, 2008 (19 JAN 14:00 & 16:00).
JOHN CASSAVETES IN 35MM at The Prince Charles (JAN to MAR):
- FACES 35mm d. John Cassavetes, 1968 (19 JAN 20:45).
MUSICULTS at Genesis Cinema (JAN):
- THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG: A RESTORATION d. Jacques Demy, 1964 (19 JAN 12:30).
REMINISCENCES OF JONAS MEKAS at Close-Up (19 to 22 JAN):
- AS I WAS MOVING AHEAD OCCASIONALLY I SAW BRIEF GLIMPSES OF BEAUTY 16mmd. Jonas Mekas, 2000 (19 JAN 14:00).
TRIBUTE TO DELPHINE SEYRIG – ACTRESS, DIRECTOR AND ACTIVIST at Ciné Lumière (01 DEC 2019 to 04 FEB 2020):
- JEANNE DIELMAN, 23 QUAI DU COMMERCE, 1080 BRUXELLES d. Chantal Akerman, 1975 (19 JAN 14:00).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- London Short Film Festival (10 to 19 JAN).
BE NATURAL: THE UNTOLD STORY OF ALICE GUY-BLACHÉ d. Pamela B. Green, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (19 JAN 18:20):
- “When Alice Guy-Blaché completed her first film in 1896 Paris, she was not only the first female filmmaker, but one of the first directors ever to make a narrative film. Narrated by Jodie Foster, this documentary follows her rise from Gaumont secretary to her appointment as head of production a year later, and her subsequent illustrious 20-year international career.”
WAVES d. Trey Edward Shults, 2019 at BFI (19 JAN 14:30, 17:15 & 20:00):
- “Tyler (Kelvin Harrison Jr) is a high-school senior with a star spot on the wrestling team, an adoring girlfriend and an affluent middle-class home. Yet bubbling pressures slowly cause his bright future to unravel. This complex and devastating family melodrama is fuelled by an array of raw and intense performances. An eclectic soundtrack fused with vivid camerawork firmly establishes Shults (IT COMES AT NIGHT) as one of contemporary cinema’s most exciting new voices.”
WEATHERING WITH YOU d. Makoto Shinkai, 2019 at ICA (19 JAN 12:20):
- “The summer of his high school freshman year, Hodaka runs away from his remote island home to Tokyo and quickly finds himself pushed to his financial and personal limits. The weather is unusually gloomy and rainy every day, as if to suggest his future. Then one day, Hodaka meets Hina on a busy street corner. This bright and strong-willed girl possesses a strange and wonderful ability: the power to stop the rain and clear the sky…”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 1917 d. Sam Mendes, 2019 at The Lexi (17 to 23 JAN). ADVOCATE d. Rachel Leah Jones & Philippe Bellaiche, 2019 at DocHouse (until 23 JAN). A HIDDEN LIFE d. Terrence Malick, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (17 to 23 JAN). BOMBSHELL d. Jay Roach, 2019 at Rio Cinema (17 to 23 JAN). BUDDHA IN AFRICA d. Nicole Schafer, 2019 at DocHouse (17 to 23 JAN). EL TOPO d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1970 at Rio Cinema (17 to 20 JAN). THE GHOST OF PETER SELLERS d. Peter Medak, 2018 at DocHouse (until 23 JAN). JOJO RABBIT d. Taika Waititi, 2019 at Rich Mix (17 to 23 JAN). LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 30 JAN). LONG DAY’S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT d. Bi Gan, 2018 at ICA (until 23 JAN). MIDNIGHT TRAVELER d. Hassan Fazili, 2019 at DocHouse (17 to 23 JAN). THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR d. Ry Russo-Young, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (20 to 26 JAN). UNCUT GEMS d. Benny Safdie & Josh Safdie, 2019 at ICA (until 23 JAN).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.