RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
A BLONDE IN LOVE d. Milos Forman, 1965 + Intro at The Castle Cinema (21 AUG 19:00):
- No Bollocks Film Club presents: “A subtle and beautifully observed social satire which maintains a remarkable balance between despair and hope, this bittersweet romance from Milo Forman, the multiple Oscar-winning director of BLACK PETER, ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST and AMADEUS, unfolds as a sweetly seductive film but also provides a wry critique of life under totalitarianism.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
RAINDANCE MEANS RAINDANCE at the 27th edition of the indie film festival (18 to 29 SEP 2019). The programme continues to celebrate the main tenets of what makes an indie film an indie film. We attended the West End launch to find out what’s on.
The ON THE EDGE OF THE FOLD season is curated by Viknesh Kobinathan, a student at the National Film & Television School, & screens at Rich Mix & Birkbeck Cinema (19 to 28 SEP 2019). We caught up with Viknesh to find out more.
Calling all City workers! We will shortly be launching a new popup cinema project to liberate you from lunch at your desk. Stay looped with our dedicated LUNCHTIME FILM newsletter.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Experimenta Mixtape #5 at BFI Southbank (21 AUG 18:20):
- “It’s a strange thing not to know what you’re going to see in advance of a film screening, but that’s the whole premise of our Experimenta Mixtape. Artist and experimental films are the focus, but its remit stretches much wider. We show early cinema, music videos, adverts too, and the programme lasts a neat 75 minutes.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at DocHouse (21 AUG 11:00 & 14:20).
- THE DEVIL IS A WOMAN d. Josef von Sternberg, 1935 presented by Lobotomy Room at Fontaine’s Bar (21 AUG 20:00 – FREE!).
- ENTER THE DRAGON [Uncut] 35mm d. Robert Clouse, 1973 at The Prince Charles (21 AUG 15:45).
- KID MILLIONS d. Roy Del Ruth, 1934 at Regent Street Cinema (21 AUG 12:00 & 15:30).
- LAS HIJAS DE NANTU d. Willy Guevara, 2018 presented by The General Consulate of Peru at The Cinema Museum (21 AUG 18:00 – FREE!).
- PAVAROTTI d. Ron Howard, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (21 AUG 19:30).
- STREETS OF FIRE 35mm d. Walter Hill at The Prince Charles (21 AUG 18:25).
- THE WARRIORS 35mm d. Walter Hill, 1979 at The Prince Charles (21 AUG 20:45).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BACKYARD CINEMA: L.A. NIGHTS at Roundhouse (19 JUL to 24 AUG):
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- UNRELATED 35mm d. Joanna Hogg, 2007 + Intro by Dr Davina Quinlivan (21 AUG 18:10).
- GLORIA d. John Cassavetes, 1980 (21 AUG 20:30).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
- NOTORIOUS d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 (21 AUG 18:30 & 20:40).
- I’M NO ANGEL d. Wesley Ruggles, 1933 (21 AUG 20:35).
FILM4 SUMMER SCREEN at Somerset House (08 to 21 AUG):
- INNA DE YARD d. Peter Webber, 2019 UK Premiere (21 AUG 19:00).
FOCUS ON AGNÈS VARDA at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 (21 AUG 14:30).
LIFT OFF! at Harris Academy South Norwood (10 JUL to 31 AUG):
- HIDDEN FIGURES d. Theodore Melfi, 2016 + Extended Intro by Naomi Mburu (21 AUG 19:45 – Use promo code “CIRCUS19” to book & save).
RE:DOX at DocHouse (ongoing):
- AMERICAN MOVIE d. Chris Smith, 1999 (21 AUG 18:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
SUMMER FILM NIGHTS at The Italian Cultural Institute (AUG – FREE!):
- THE PLOY d. David Grieco, 2016 (21 AUG 18:30).
SUMMER OUTDOOR CINEMA at Watermans (16 AUG to 13 SEP):
- HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA d. Genndy Tartakovsky, 2012 (21 AUG 20:30 – takes place at Beavers Estate TW4 7NW).
TRILOGIES & TRIPTYCHS at Close-Up Centre (01 AUG to 01 SEP):
- Rainer Werner Fassbinder’s BRD Trilogy – THE MARRIAGE OF MARIA BRAUNd. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1978 (21 AUG 20:15).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 (21 AUG 13:00).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- New Renaissance Film Festival (21 to 25 AUG).
DJON AFRICA d. Filipa Reis & João Miller Guerra at ICA (21 AUG 16:00):
- “The debut scripted feature by Portuguese documentarian duo Filipa Reis and João Miller Guerra stars non-professional actor Miguel Moreira (who appeared in the pair’s 2010 DocLisboa winner LI KÉ TERRA) as 25-year-old Djon África, born in Portugal to Cape Verdean parents. Loosely episodic in structure, the film narrates Miguel’s journey to Cape Verde in search of his father.”
JT LEROY d. Justin Kelly, 2018 at JW3 (21 AUG 18:00):
- “His first book Sarah, published in 1999, propelled young JT LeRoy to literary stardom. His semi-autobiographical account of a childhood blighted by drug and sexual abuse in America’s underbelly earned him a cult status. But more shocking than the topics LeRoy’s books explored was the truth behind them, finally exposed in 2006: LeRoy was a well-crafted persona created by Jewish Brooklynite Laura Albert and embodied by her boyfriend’s sister, the androgynous Savannah Knoop.”
ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (21 AUG 19:30):
- “1969 Los Angeles, where everything is changing, as TV star Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his longtime stunt double Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt) make their way around an industry they hardly recognise anymore. We are so excited to be able to screen Quentin Tarantino’s latest masterpiece from a glorious 35mm print, the format on which it was shot.”
TRANSIT d. Christian Petzold, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (21 AUG 13:10 & 18:10):
- “Assuming the identity of a dead author Georg flees France after the Nazi invasion. With nowhere to turn, he is confounded to the corridors of a small hotel, the consulates, cafés and bars that line the harbour. Everything changes when Georg falls in love with the mysterious Marie. Based on the eponymous novel by Anna Seghers, award-winning director Christian Petzold (Phoenix, Barbara), tells the story of a nearly impossible love amid escape, exile and a longing for a place to call home.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- AMERICAN FACTORY d. Julia Reichert & Steven Bognar, 2019 at ICA (21 to 28 AUG). ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 22 AUG). APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2018 at Rich Mix (16 to 22 AUG). BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 at Lexi Cinema (16 to 22 AUG). THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (until 22 AUG). GAZA d. Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell, 2018 at DocHouse (until 20 AUG). IN SEARCH… d. Beryl Magoko, 2018 at DocHouse (16 to 21 AUG). LETO d. Kirill Serebrennikov, 2018 at ICA (16 to 22 AUG). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ICA (until 22 AUG). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 22 AUG). PHOTOGRAPH d. Ritesh Batra, 2019 at Watermans (16 to 22 AUG). STONES HAVE LAWS d. Lonnie van Brummelen, Siebren de Haan & Tolin Erwin Alexander, 2018 at ICA (until 22 AUG). WHEN HARRY MET SALLY 35mm d. Rob Reiner, 1989 at The Prince Charles (16 to 22 AUG).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.