RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
GIRLFIGHT d. Karyn Kusama, 2000 + Skype Q&A with the director at BFI Southbank (22 JAN 20:30):
- Woman With A Movie Camera presents: “Diana is a Brooklyn teenager whose hot temper gets her into plenty of fights. These are mainly in the school hallways – until she accompanies her brother to boxing training and develops a taste for the ring. Yet the bigger fight lies ahead, as she struggles to establish herself in a man’s world. This spotlight of female boxing packs a punch, with two outstanding debuts: Karyn Kusama behind the camera and the unforgettable Michelle Rodriguez in front of it.”
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
END OF SEASON d. Elmar Imanov, 2019 + Q&A with the director at Barbican (22 JAN 18:20):
- New East Cinema presents: “A family on the verge of falling apart pays a life-changing trip to the beach in this haunting Azerbaijani drama from debut director Elmar Imanov. Features excellent performances from his cast, especially Mir-Movsum Mirzazade as the angry, vulnerable son. End of Season is an excellent study of alienation and mutual incomprehension, with echoes of Michelangelo Antonioni’s AVVENTURA.”
I WAS HERE d. Nathalie Biancheri & Ola Jankowska, 2017 + Q&A with the directors at ICA (22 JAN 18:30):
- “On a journey through post-Brexit vote England, locals from towns, villages and cities are invited to take part in a casting for a documentary character. As each candidate tries to prove themselves, the audience questions our perception of a life worth capturing on film and our basic, human instinct to leave a trace of ourselves.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BE NATURAL: THE UNTOLD STORY OF ALICE GUY-BLACHÉ d. Pamela B. Green at Curzon Aldgate (22 JAN 18:15 – Other Curzons available!).
- CITIZEN K d. Alex Gibney, 2019 at DocHouse (22 JAN 20:30).
- EL TOPO d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1970 at ICA (22 JAN 15:50).
- INHERIT THE WIND 35mm d. Stanley Kramer, 1960 at Regent Street Cinema (22 JAN 12:00 & 15:30).
- LA DOLCE VITA d. Federico Fellini, 1960 at ICA (22 JAN 15:00).
- LAWRENCE OF BELGRAVIA d. Paul Kelly, 2008 + Q&A with Lawrence presented by Heavenly Films at Regent Street Cinema (22 JAN 19:30).
- MARSHAWN LYNCH: A HISTORY d. David Shields, 2019 at ICA (22 JAN 18:25).
- Odyssey Film Club: PAIN & GLORY d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2019 + Discussion presented by Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (22 JAN 19:45).
- THE SHAPE OF WATER d. Guillermo del Toro, 2017 presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St. Barnabas Church (22 JAN 20:15).
- SORRY WE MISSED YOU d. Ken Loach, 2019 at The David Lean (22 JAN 14:30 & 19:30).
- Swinging Paris & Espace Fumeur Talks + Screenings by Vadim Kosmos & Patrick Knill at The Horse Hospital (22 JAN 19:00).
- TO TOKYO d. Caspar Seale Jones, 2018 + Q&A at Everyman Hampstead (22 JAN 18:30).
- THE TRUMAN SHOW d. Peter Weir, 1998 + Intro/Discussion with Gareth Jones presented by Film School at The Cinema Museum (22 JAN 19:00).
- THE WITCH d. Robert Eggers, 2015 at The Prince Charles (22 JAN 18:30).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS at BFI Southbank (DEC to JAN):
- THE ASPHALT JUNGLE d. John Huston, 1950 + Intro by Dr Lucy Bolton (22 JAN 18:00).
CAROLE LOMBARD: THE BRIGHTEST STAR at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- MY MAN GODFREY 4K d. Gregory La Cava, 1936 (22 JAN 20:50).
FELLINI at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- Re-release: LA DOLCE VITA 4K d. Federico Fellini, 1960 (06 to 26 JAN).
JOIN THE #BONGHIVE at The Prince Charles (JAN to FEB):
- MOTHER 35mm aka Madeo d. Bong Joon-ho, 2009 (22 JAN 20:45).
MELODIA!: DISCOVERING MUSICALS FROM RUSSIA & THE CAUCASUS at Ciné Lumière (07 to 31 JAN):
- A MAN FROM BOULEVARD DES CAPUCINES d. Alla Surikova, 1987 (22 JAN 18:30).
REMINISCENCES OF JONAS MEKAS at Close-Up (19 JAN to 01 FEB):
- WALDEN 16mm d. Jonas Mekas, 1969 (22 JAN 19:00).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any festivals in London today. Let us know what we’re missing!
BE NATURAL: THE UNTOLD STORY OF ALICE GUY-BLACHÉ d. Pamela B. Green, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (22 JAN 20:30):
- “When Alice Guy-Blaché completed her first film in 1896 Paris, she was not only the first female filmmaker, but one of the first directors ever to make a narrative film. Narrated by Jodie Foster, this documentary follows her rise from Gaumont secretary to her appointment as head of production a year later, and her subsequent illustrious 20-year international career.”
WAVES d. Trey Edward Shults, 2019 at BFI (22 JAN 17:40 & 20:25):
- “Tyler (Kelvin Harrison Jr) is a high-school senior with a star spot on the wrestling team, an adoring girlfriend and an affluent middle-class home. Yet bubbling pressures slowly cause his bright future to unravel. This complex and devastating family melodrama is fuelled by an array of raw and intense performances. An eclectic soundtrack fused with vivid camerawork firmly establishes Shults (IT COMES AT NIGHT) as one of contemporary cinema’s most exciting new voices.”
WEATHERING WITH YOU d. Makoto Shinkai, 2019 at ICA (22 JAN 12:45):
- “The summer of his high school freshman year, Hodaka runs away from his remote island home to Tokyo and quickly finds himself pushed to his financial and personal limits. The weather is unusually gloomy and rainy every day, as if to suggest his future. Then one day, Hodaka meets Hina on a busy street corner. This bright and strong-willed girl possesses a strange and wonderful ability: the power to stop the rain and clear the sky…”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 1917 d. Sam Mendes, 2019 at The Lexi (17 to 23 JAN). ADVOCATE d. Rachel Leah Jones & Philippe Bellaiche, 2019 at DocHouse (until 23 JAN). A HIDDEN LIFE d. Terrence Malick, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (17 to 23 JAN). BOMBSHELL d. Jay Roach, 2019 at Rio Cinema (17 to 23 JAN). BUDDHA IN AFRICA d. Nicole Schafer, 2019 at DocHouse (17 to 23 JAN). EL TOPO d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1970 at Rio Cinema (17 to 20 JAN). THE GHOST OF PETER SELLERS d. Peter Medak, 2018 at DocHouse (until 23 JAN). JOJO RABBIT d. Taika Waititi, 2019 at Rich Mix (17 to 23 JAN). LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 30 JAN). LONG DAY’S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT d. Bi Gan, 2018 at ICA (until 23 JAN). MIDNIGHT TRAVELER d. Hassan Fazili, 2019 at DocHouse (17 to 23 JAN). THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR d. Ry Russo-Young, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (20 to 26 JAN). UNCUT GEMS d. Benny Safdie & Josh Safdie, 2019 at ICA (until 23 JAN).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.