SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 24.08.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Figures of Absence: The Films of Dore O. + Intro by Masha Matzke at Close-Up (24 AUG 20:00):
- “We’re thrilled to present a rare programme of experimental films by the German artist Dore O. which occupy a state in-between opaqueness and translucency, hypnosis and clarity. The programme has been selected by Berlin-based archivist and scholar Masha Matzke, who will also introduce the screening.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
LUNCHTIME FILM SOCIETY launches this autumn at the Bridewell Theatre, EC4Y 8EQ (22 OCT to 01 NOV 2019). This brand new popup cinema screens daily programmes of bitesize films for busy City workers. Here’s everything you need to know!
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
More films in London today (A – Z):
- DEEP RED d. Dario Argento, 1975 presented by Arrow Video at Genesis Cinema (24 AUG 21:15 – FREE!).
- LETO d. Kirill Serebrennikov, 2018 at ICA (24 AUG 16:00).
- MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at DocHouse (24 AUG 12:15).
- NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2018 at ICA (24 AUG 15:00).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BACKYARD CINEMA: L.A. NIGHTS at Roundhouse (19 JUL to 24 AUG):
- GREASE SING-A-LONG (24 AUG 12:30).
- MEAN GIRLS (24 AUG 16:30).
- THE GREATEST SHOWMAN SING-A-LONG (24 AUG 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- MILDRED PIERCE d. Michael Curtiz, 1945 ( 24 AUG 15:50).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
- SUSPICION d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1941 (24 AUG 20:40).
- NOTORIOUS d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 enjoys a grind show run (until 31 AUG).
NINETIES: YOUNG CINEMA REBELS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- BROTHER d. Aleksey Balabanov, 1997 (24 AUG 18:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
- MY BEST FRIEND’S WEDDING (24 AUG 20:00 – Stratford).
SUMMER OUTDOOR CINEMA at Watermans (16 AUG to 13 SEP):
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (24 AUG 20:30).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London this week include:
- FrightFest (22 to 26 AUG).
- New Renaissance Film Festival (21 to 25 AUG).
- Story Image Fest. 2019 (24 AUG 16:00).
HAIL SATAN? d. Penny Lane, 2019 at Rich Mix (24 AUG 15:20 & 17:30):
- “When media-savvy members of the Satanic Temple organise a series of public actions designed to advocate for religious freedom, they prove that with little more than a clever idea, a mischievous sense of humour, and a few rebellious friends, you can speak truth to power in some truly profound ways.”
PAIN & GLORY d. Pedro Almodovar, 2019 at Arthouse Crouch End (24 AUG 12:45, 15:30, 18:20 & 21:00):
- “Long-time Almodóvar leading man Antonio Banderas stars as Salvador Mallo, a director whose physical ailments have led into an almost hermit-like existence, before he is reunited with an actor from his past and embarks on a wild new chapter.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A FAITHFULL MAN d. Louis Garrel, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (24 AUG to 05 SEP). AMERICAN FACTORY d. Julia Reichert & Steven Bognar, 2019 at ICA (21 to 28 AUG). ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 29 AUG). BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 29 AUG). GAZA d. Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell, 2018 at DocHouse (until 29 AUG). HOLIDAY d. Isabella Eklöf, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (23 to 29 AUG). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ICA (until 28 AUG). ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 29 AUG – Selected screening times). SKIN d. Guy Nattiv, 2018 at JW3 (25 to 29 AUG). TRANSIT d. Christian Petzold, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (23 AUG to 04 SEP). US d. Jordan Peele, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (26 AUG to 01 SEP). WAITING FOR THE CARNIVAL d. Marcelo Gomes, 2019 at DocHouse (23 to 29 AUG).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.