RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
TERROR NULLIUS d. Soda_Jerk, 2018 + Q&A with the director at Close-Up (25 MAY 15:00):
- ALT/KINO presents: “The London premiere of Soda_Jerk’s sample-based political revenge fable, TERROR NULLIUS, preceded by Lewis Klahr’s PONY GLASS (1997) and Eileen Maxson’s CINDERELLA+++ (2002) – short films that explore notions of sampling and re-mixing traditional cultural narratives in different ways. Soda_Jerk will be in attendance for a Q&A following the screening.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- Every week we do our bit to make cinema going in London that little more affordable by finding as many FREE film nights as we can. We’ve put together a quick guide to FREE films in London this week [25 to 30 MAY].
- RADIANT CIRCUS is partnering with Screen25 to celebrate their complete Spring/Summer programme. Use promo code “CIRCUS19” when booking on any film in the season to save on full price tickets. The season opens with a special screening of RAFIKI (29 MAY).
- South Social Film Festival is collaborating with Instituto Cervantes to celebrate Spain at Moving Pictures Cinema (08 JUN). RADIANT CIRCUS subscribers at Patreon can unlock a juicy discount for this thrilling event.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
AT HOME WITH THE LUDSKIS 15TH EDITION SUBLIMATED SECRETS at Rio Cinema (25 MAY 23:35):
- “A melange of Artist’s films, performance, music, installation, curation, and experimentation with new work from young and emerging artists as well as older and established. The Ludski!s seek to atomise and re-combine the arts that are the building blocks of the film makers practice. That means we must include all the arts.”
SATAN’S SLAVES aka Pengabdi Setan d. Joko Anwar, 2017 at Deptford Cinema (25 MAY 19:00):
- “A huge hit in Indonesia and throughout South East Asia, Joko Anwar’s remake of the cult horror ‘Pengabdi Setan’ (1982) delivers in both atmospheric chills and full-on horror as a family discovers that their bedridden matriarch, a once successful singer and main breadwinner is connected to a satanic cult. Part of Films Of The Archipelago.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 at ArtHouse Crouch End (25 MAY 19:45).
- ARMS WIDE OPEN d. Sirus Grahan, 2019 + PARTY European premiere at House Of Vans (25 MAY 20:30 – FREE!).
- ‘Autotheory’ in Canadian and Indigenous Artists’ Video short film programme at The Horse Hospital (25 MAY 19:00).
- DIAMANTINO d. Gabriel Abrantes & Daniel Schmidt, 2018 at ICA (25 MAY 13:45).
- Double Bill: LA VERTIENTE d. Jorge Ruiz, 1958 + ESCRIBEME POSTALES A COPACABANA d. Thomas Kronthaler, 2009 presented by Friends of Bolivia at Deptford Cinema (25 MAY 13:30).
- JASON’S LYRIC d. Doug McHenry, 1994 + AFTERPARTY presented by Soulgigs at Picturehouse Ritzy (25 MAY 19:00).
- THE KARATE KID d. John G. Avildsen, 1984 at The Prince Charles (25 MAY 15:10).
- WILD ROSE d. Tom Harper, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (25 MAY 14:15, 16:15, 18:20 & 20:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS: WEIMAR CINEMA 1919-1933 at BFI Southbank (MAY to JUN):
- DR. MABUSE, THE GAMBLER d. Fritz Lang, 1922 (25 MAY 13:00).
- THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI d. Robert Wiene, 1920 (25 MAY 18:30 + LIVE PIANO ACCOMPANIMENT).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THE MEANINGS OF LIFE at BFI Southbank (MAY):
- SECONDS d. John Frankenheimer, 1966 (25 MAY 18:00).
CLOSE-UP ON SCOTT WALKER at Close-Up (24 APR to 31 MAY):
- POLA X 35mm d. Leos Carax, 1999 (25 MAY 20:15).
THE FILMS OF JEAN-MARIE STRAUB AND DANIÈLE HUILLET Goethe-Institut & partners’ epic season continues at Close-Up & Goethe-Institut (MAR to JUN):
- DOCUMENTS: HUILLET-STRAUB AT WORK (25 MAY 10:00, Goethe-Institut – FREE!).
JOHN CARPENTER RETROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 31 JUL):
- THEY LIVE d. John Carpenter, 1988 (25 MAY 21:00).
KUBRICK at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- PATHS OF GLORY d. Stanley Kubrick, 1957 (25 MAY 15:50 35mm).
- THE SHINING (Extended Version) d. Stanley Kubrick, 1980 (25 MAY 20:15).
- DR. STRANGELOVE OR: HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB d. Stanley Kubrick, 1963 enjoys a grind show run (18 to 30 MAY).
- “Inspired by Kubrick”:
- A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 2001 (25 MAY 17:50).
- EX MACHINA d. Alex Garland, 2014 (25 MAY 20:50).
OF FLESH AND BLOOD: THE CINEMA OF HIROKAZU KORE-EDA at BFI Southbank (APR to MAY):
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 (25 MAY 20:40 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!).
- MABOROSI d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 1995 (25 MAY 15:40).
SHE, A CHINESE at The Whitechapel Gallery (09 to 26 MAY):
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA (25 MAY 13:30).
> COMING SOON: our next monthly roundup of London’s alternative screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Everyman Music Film Festival (09 to 26 MAY).
- Herne Hill Free Film Festival (29 APR to 01 JUN).
- Sundance Festival London (30 MAY to 02 JUN).
AFTER LIFE d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 1998 at Rio Cinema (25 MAY 18:30):
- “Which memory would you choose? After the wonderful MABOROSI, Hirokazu Kore-eda, future director of SHOPLIFTERS, continued his exploration of the mystery of life with this remarkable and touching film that explores the profound human need to discover meaning in everyday existence and asks what makes us truly happy.”
TOO LATE TO DIE YOUNG d. Dominga Sotomayor Castillo, 2018 at ICA (25 MAY 20:50):
- “Chile 1990, a country stretching its wings post-Pinochet, exhilarated by new-found freedom but still tentative in the face of an uncertain future. This political reality is paralleled by this story of an idealistic community living off-grid in a commune in the foothills of the Andes.”
XY CHELSEA d. Tim Travers Hawkins, 2019 at DocHouse (25 MAY 14:30 & 18:30):
- “The historic story of whistleblower Chelsea Manning, whose 35-year sentence in an all-male maximum security prison was commuted by President Obama in 2017. XY CHELSEA is the journey of her fight for survival and dignity, and her transition from prisoner to a free woman.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- AMA-SAN d. Cláudia Varejão, 2016 at ICA (until 30 MAY). AMAZING GRACE d. Alan Elliott & Sydney Pollack, 2018 at DocHouse (until 30 MAY). ASH IS PUREST WHITE d. Jia Zhangke, 2018 at ICA (until 30 MAY). BATMAN d. Tim Burton, 1989 (17 to 27 MAY). BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II 35mm d. Robert Zemeckis, 1989 at The Prince Charles (24 to 30 MAY). BEATS d. Brian Welsh, 2019 at Watermans (24 to 30 MAY). BIRDS OF PASSAGE d. Cristina Gallego, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 30 MAY). DR STRANGELOVE OR: HOW I STOPPED WORRYING & LEARNED TO LOVE THE BOMB d. Stanley Kubrick, 1964 + Short Film at The Prince Charles (23 to 29 MAY). EIGHTH GRADE d. Bo Burnham, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 30 MAY). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (27 MAY to 02 JUN). HIGH LIFE d. Claire Denis, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 30 MAY). JOHN MCENROE: IN THE REALM OF PERFECTION d. Julien Faraut, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (24 to 30 MAY). MADELINE’S MADELINE d. Josephine Decker, 2018 at Barbican (until 22 MAY). MEMOIR OF WAR d. Emmanuel Finkiel, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (24 MAY to 25 JUL). OUTDOORS d. Asaf Saban, 2017 presented by UKJF at JW3 (26 to 30 MAY). ROCKETMAN d. Dexter Fletcher, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (24 to 30 MAY). VOX LUX d. Brady Corbet, 2018 at The Prince Charles (24 to 30 MAY). WOMEN AT WAR d. Benedikt Erlingsson, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 30 MAY).
Discover more #LDNindieFILM
Sign up for free Friday emails, 7 days of sensational screens.
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS is supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.