SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 25.06.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
IL FLAUTO MAGICO DI PIAZZA VITTORIO d. Gianfranco Cabiddu & Mario Tronco, 2018 + Q&A with Gianfranco Cabiddu at Regent Street Cinema (25 JUN 19:30):
- CinemaItaliaUK presents: “Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s The Magic Flute is re-adapted in a feast of world-music influences by the multi-ethnic Piazza Vittorio Orchestra. Prince Tamino’s quest to set his love, the beautiful Tamina, free from the charms of the maleficent wizard Sarastro is sung and performed through sounds coming from Africa, Asia and South America in a magnificent mix of fascinating imagery and immortal music.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- The fine volunteers at Deptford Cinema have launched a new Kickstarter campaign to fund a full rewiring of the venue, extending access to their unique brand of award-winning community cinema. Here’s how you can help.
- Couldn’t make MIDNIGHT EXCESS at the weekend? SUPAKINO & Black Decagon share some of their favourite Stone Circle sightings in film & TV to prepare you for the summer months.
- Continuing seasons include: THE ORIGINAL SIN OF CLAIRE DENIS at BFI (JUN); LIFT OFF! at Screen25 (use exclusive promo code “CIRCUS19” to book & save on the entire summer season in South Norwood); CINEMATIC OBSESSIONS at Deptford Cinema (until 29 JUL).
- Japan Foundation London has announced a new programme of FREE film screenings, their PRE-SUMMER EXPLORERS! (26 to 30 JUN).
- TAIPEI STORIES (01 to 30 JUN) continues at Close-Up with an exclusive season discount for RADIANT CIRCUS subscribers.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
DIEGO MARADONA d. Asif Kapadia, 2019 + Q&A with the director at ICA (25 JUN 19:45):
- “From Academy Award and BAFTA-winning director Asif Kapadia (AMY, SENNA), this immersive documentary portrait of monolithic football legend Maradona is constructed from over 500 hours of never-before-seen footage from Maradona’s personal archive.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A BIGGER SPLASH d. Luca Guadagnino, 2015 at TT Liquor (25 JUN 19:00).
- A SEASON IN FRANCE d. Mahamat-Saleh Haroun, 2017 at ICA (25 JUN 14:20).
- A SEASON IN FRANCE d. Mahamat-Saleh Haroun, 2017 at Ciné Lumière (25 JUN 20:00).
- ASH IS PUREST WHITE d. Jia Zhang-ke, 2019 at ICA (25 JUN 13:10).
- BEING THERE d. Hal Ashby, 1979 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club (25 JUN 20:00).
- CINEMA PARADISO d. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988 + Wine tasting presented by Borough Wine: Vino Kino at Rio Cinema (25 JUN 18:00).
- THE CONFORMIST d. Bernardo Bertolucci, 1970 + Wine tasting presented by Borough Wine: Vino Kino at Rio Cinema (25 JUN 21:00).
- THE HUMMINGBIRD PROJECT d. Kim Nguyen, 2018 at Picturehouse Central (25 JUN 18:30 – Other Picturehouse available!).
- LIFE IS SWEET d. Mike Leigh, 1990 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Peckham Levels (25 JUN 19:30 – FREE!).
- MOTHER AND A GUEST d. Shin Sang-ok, 1961 presented by Korean Film Nights at Deptford Cinema (25 JUN 19:30 – FREE!/Booking recommended).
- PROPHECY d. Charlie Paul, 2019 at ICA (25 JUN 16:20).
- RAFIKI d. Wanuri Kahiu, 2018 at The David Lean (25 JUN 19:30)
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 (25 JUN 20:15).
BEBOP NEW YORK: BIRTH OF AMERICAN INDIE CINEMA at Barbican (23 MAY to 25 JUN):
- In The Street (25 JUN 19:00).
BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS: WEIMAR CINEMA 1919-1933 at BFI Southbank (MAY to JUN):
- M d. Fritz Lang, 1931 (25 JUN 18:15 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: PAULINE KAEL at BFI Southbank (MAY):
- THE LAST PICTURE SHOW d. Peter Bogdanovich, 1971 (25 JUN 20:35).
JOHN CARPENTER RETROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 31 JUL):
- VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED d. John Carpenter, 1995 (25 JUN 18:00).
MARTIN SCORSESE SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 18 JUL):
- ROLLING THUNDER REVUE d. Martin Scorsese, 2019 (until 27 JUN).
THE ORIGINAL SIN OF CLAIRE DENIS at BFI Southbank (JUN):
- BASTARDS d. Claire Denis, 2013 (25 JUN 20:50).
PLAYING THE BITCH at BFI Southbank (JUN):
- THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 (25 JUN 20:15 – Q&A has been cancelled).
RE:DOX at DocHouse (ongoing):
- THE ALCOHOL YEARS d. Carol Morley, 2000 (25 JUN 14:30).
- 5 BROKEN CAMERAS d. Emad Burnat & Guy Davidi, 2011 (25 JUN 20:40).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
- THE IRON GIANT (25 JUN 21:00 – Stratford).
- SHAZAM! (25 JUN 21:00 – Peckham).
- FROM DUSK TILL DAWN (25 JUN 21:00 – Shoreditch).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- London Architecture Film Festival (25 to 27 JUN).
- London Indian Film Festival (20 to 29 JUN).
- Rhythm & Views Film Festival (15 to 26 JUN).
THE GARDEN d. Derek Jarman, 1990 at BFI Southbank (25 JUN 20:40):
- “A new, dreamy-looking 4K scan of Jarman’s late feature makes its UK premiere. Close to a nuclear power station, inside his modest, sparsely-furnished home on the barren, windswept Dungeness coastline, Derek Jarman dreams… This intimate insight into Jarman’s inner world was beautifully crafted through the innovative manipulation of Super8 film, laid down on to tape and then 35mm.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- AMIN d. Philippe Faucon, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (21 to 27 JUN). A SEASON IN FRANCEd. Mahamat-Saleh Haroun, 2017 at Arthouse Crouch End (21 to 27 JUN). BEATS d. Brian Walsh, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (22 to 27 JUN). BIRDS OF PASSAGE d. Cristina Gallego, 2018 at ICA (until 27 JUN). BOOKSMART d. Olivia Wilde, 2019 at The Prince Charles (21 to 27 JUN). DIEGO MARADONA d. Asif Kapadia, 2019 at DocHouse (until 27 JUN). THE EDGE OF DEMOCRACY d. Petra Costa, 2019 at ICA (21 to 27 JUN). FIVE SEASONS: THE GARDENS OF PIET OUDOLF d. Thomas Piper, 2017 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 26 JUN). THE FLOOD d. Anthony Woodley, 2019 at Rio Cinema (21 to 27 JUN). GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (24 to 30 JUN). INSIDE THE MOSSAD d. Duki Dror, 2018 presented by UKJF at JW3 (23 to 27 JUN). MARI d. Georgia Parris, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (21 to 27 JUN). ORDINARY TIME d. Susana Nobre, 2018 at ICA (21 to JUN 18:30). ROLLING THUNDER REVUE d. Martin Scorsese, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 20 JUN). SOMETIMES ALWAYS NEVER d. Carl Hunter, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (21 to 26 JUN). SUNSET d. László Nemes, 2018 at ICA (until 27 JUN). WE THE ANIMALS d. Jeremiah Zagar, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 27 JUN).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.