RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
BROKEN BLOSSOMS d. D. W. Griffith, 1919 + Live Organ Accompaniment by Donald MacKenzie at Regent Street Cinema (26 AUG 19:00):
- “Frustrated in his desire to bring the teachings of Buddha to the tough denizens of London, a disillusioned young Chinese man, loses himself in the reveries of opium mists until the plight of a young waif startles him back to reality.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
LUNCHTIME FILM SOCIETY launches this autumn at the Bridewell Theatre, EC4Y 8EQ (22 OCT to 01 NOV 2019). This brand new popup cinema screens daily programmes of bitesize films for busy City workers. Here’s everything you need to know!
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
KANARIE d. Christiaan Olwagen, 2018 + Intro at Genesis Cinema (26 AUG 18:30).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest presents Fringe! Flings: “An ongoing love affair with queer cinema at Genesis. This time we’re screeing Christiaan Olwagen’s KANARIE. Drafted into the South African army during apartheid, a young soldier joins the military’s traveling choir, and romance on the battlefield causes him to deal with his long-repressed sexual identity.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ENTER THE DRAGON [Uncut] 35mm at The Prince Charles (26 AUG 21:00).
- US d. Jordan Peele, 2018 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (26 AUG 19:00).
- WALKING ON WATER d. Andrey Paounov, 2018 at DocHouse (26 AUG 18:30).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- CAMILLE d. George Cukor, 1936 (26 AUG 15:30).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
- THE PHILADELPHIA STORY d. George Cukor, 1940 (26 AUG 17:50).
- HOLIDAY d. George Cukor, 1938 (26 AUG 19:50).
NINETIES: YOUNG CINEMA REBELS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- GO FISH 35mm d. Rose Troche, 1994 (26 AUG 18:00).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
- DIRTY DANCING (26 AUG 20:00 – Peckham).
TRILOGIES & TRIPTYCHS at Close-Up Centre (01 AUG to 01 SEP):
- VERONIKA VOSS Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1982 (26 AUG 20:15).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 enjoys a grind show run (26 AUG 20:45).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London this week include:
- FrightFest (22 to 26 AUG).
HAIL SATAN? d. Penny Lane, 2019 at Rich Mix (26 AUG 15:15 & 17:30):
- “When media-savvy members of the Satanic Temple organise a series of public actions designed to advocate for religious freedom, they prove that with little more than a clever idea, a mischievous sense of humour, and a few rebellious friends, you can speak truth to power in some truly profound ways.”
PAIN & GLORY d. Pedro Almodovar, 2019 at Arthouse Crouch End (26 AUG 12:30, 15:00, 17:40 & 20:30):
- “Long-time Almodóvar leading man Antonio Banderas stars as Salvador Mallo, a director whose physical ailments have led into an almost hermit-like existence, before he is reunited with an actor from his past and embarks on a wild new chapter.”
SKIN d. Guy Nattiv, 2018 at JW3 (26 AUG 18:00):
- “Jamie Bell shines in Israeli filmmaker Guy Nattiv’s first English language feature (Nattiv’s short film of the same name won the Oscar for Best Live Action Short this year). Bell is Bryon Widner, a young man raised by skinheads, who embarks on a near-impossible process of moving away from the community that shaped him.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A FAITHFULL MAN d. Louis Garrel, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (24 AUG to 05 SEP). AMERICAN FACTORY d. Julia Reichert & Steven Bognar, 2019 at ICA (21 to 28 AUG). ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 29 AUG). BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 29 AUG). GAZA d. Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell, 2018 at DocHouse (until 29 AUG). HOLIDAY d. Isabella Eklöf, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (23 to 29 AUG). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ICA (until 28 AUG). ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 29 AUG – Selected screening times). TRANSIT d. Christian Petzold, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (23 AUG to 04 SEP). US d. Jordan Peele, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (26 AUG to 01 SEP). WAITING FOR THE CARNIVAL d. Marcelo Gomes, 2019 at DocHouse (23 to 29 AUG).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.