SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 28.02.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
The Liberated Film Club II at Close-Up (28 FEB 20:15):
- “Because you’re sick of knowing exactly what you’re going to get and you’re sick when you get it.” The Liberated Film Club continues its monthly fixture, featuring a special guest introducing an unknown short and feature.Chinese-British novelist, essayist and filmmaker Xiaolu Guo is the special guest for this instalment.
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- NOW BOOKING: We’ve published our epic roundup of seasons & festivals for MARCH.
- NOW BOOKING: Classic Cinema Club launches new season FLASHBACKS (01 MAR to 26 APR).
- NEWS: Barge Fiodra moors at Limehouse Basin for two watery days of film [01 to 02 MAR]
- NEWS: Phoenix Cinema Trust launches #PhoenixRising fundraiser – help save this much-loved venue.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
ISLAND d. Steven Eastwood, 2017 + Q&A with the director at The Whitechapel Gallery (28 FEB 19:00):
- Across the water on the island, four individuals experience the year in which their lives will end. Illness progresses, relationships gently shift, and we are witness to rarely seen and intensely private moments.
THE LUCKY NUMBER 35mm d. Anthony Asquith, 1932 + SHORT: YOUTH SHALL BE SERVED d. Anthony Asquith, 1933 + INTRO by Geoff Brown at BFI Southbank (28 FEB 18:10):
- Clifford Mollison stars as footballer who, in pursuit of an elusive pools ticket, covers a lot of ground and gathers a motley crew of helpers. Anthony Asquith’s visual imagination raises the film above the material, with one critic comparing his approach to that of René Clair.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- Andy Holden Live – WHAT I WOULD DO IF DID WHAT YOU WOULD EXPECT ME TO DO at The Cinema Museum part of Laws Of Motion In A Cartoon Landscape at The Cinema Museum (28 FEB 19:00).
- ANGELA DAVIS: PORTRAIT OF A REVOLUTIONARY d. Yolande DuLuart, 1972 at Bernie Grant Arts Centre (28 FEB 19:00).
- THE APPARITION d. Xavier Giannoli, 2018 presented by Das Kino at The Old Baths (28 FEB 20:00).
- A STAR IS BORN d. Bradley Cooper, 2018 presented by Filmbox Community Cinema (28 FEB 19:45).
- BONES OF CONTENTION d. Andrea Weiss, 2017 at DocHouse (28 FEB 18:45).
- BROS: AFTER THE SCREAMING STOPS d. Joe Pearlman & David Soutar, 2018 at The Prince Charles (28 FEB 20:45).
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Kar-Wai Wong, 1994 presented by Redmond Pictures at Redmond Community Centre (28 FEB 19:30 – Free!).
- THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at ICA (28 FEB 17:45).
- FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY d. Stephen Merchant, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (28 FEB 16:15 & 18:15).
- JUST BEFORE DAWN d. Jeff Lieberman, 1981 at BFI (28 FEB 20:40).
- LEAVE NO TRACE d. Deborah Granik, 2018 presented by Stow Film Lounge at Wild Card Brewery (28 FEB 19:15).
- SISTER ACT 2: BACK IN THE HABIT d. Bill Duke, 1993 + SUPPER presented by Welcome Cinema + Kitchen at Amnesty International (28 FEB 18:00).
- WE ARE THE WEIRDOS! d. various, horror shorts presented by The Final Girls at Genesis Cinema2 (28 FEB 18:50).
- WINGS OF DESIRE d. Wim Wenders, 1987 presented by Sydenham Film Club at The Sydenham Centre (28 FEB 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE d. Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey, 2018 (28 FEB 13:30).
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Koreeda, 2018 (28 FEB 15:30).
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (28 FEB 16:10).
- RBG d. Julie Cohen & Betsy West, 2018 (28 FEB 18:10).
A TRIBUTE TO BRUNO GANZ at ICA (22 to 28 FEB):
- THE BAADER MEINHOF COMPLEX d. Uli Edel, 2008 (28 FEB 20:10).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE d. Nicolas Ray, 1955 (28 FEB 14:30).
DEREK JARMAN SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 16 APR):
- BLUE d. Derek Jarman, 1993 (28 FEB 18:30).
EARLY KOREAN CINEMA: LOST FILMS FROM THE JAPANESE COLONIAL PERIOD at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- HURRAH! FOR FREEDOM + INTRO by Kate Taylor-Jones d. Choi In-gyu, 1946 (28 FEB 18:20).
OSCAR®️ WEEK at Barbican (21 to 28 FEB):
- CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 (28 FEB 18:10 & 20:35).
- Oscar® Nominated Shorts: Animation (28 FEB 18:30).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (FEB to MAR):
- THE LADY EVE d. Preston Sturgess, 1941 (28 FEB 18:20 & 20:30).
UNSEEN IN 2018 at Deptford Cinema (01 FEB 19:00):
- APOSTASY d. Daniel Kokotajlo, 2017 (28 FEB 19:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Cinema Made In Italy (26 FEB to 03 MAR).
- Fringe! Flings – OF LOVE & LAW + Q&A with director Hikaru Toda & producer Elhum Shakerifar at Genesis Cinema (28 FEB 21:00).
- Papaya Rocks Film Festival (28 FEB).
HOME GAMES d. Alisa Kovalenko, 2018 at DocHouse (28 FEB 20:30):
- In Kiev, twenty year old Alina dreams of making the national women’s football team. She’s got a good shot – a standout since the age of seven, she’s now a premier league player. But there are more than a few obstacles standing in her way – not least the fact that her ex-con mother has left her in charge of her young brother and sister.
ON THE BASIS OF SEX d. Mimi Leder, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (28 FEB 15:30, 18:10 & 20:50):
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a struggling attorney and new mother who faces adversity and numerous obstacles in her fight for equal rights. When Ruth takes on a groundbreaking tax case with her husband, attorney Martin Ginsburg, she knows it could change the direction of her career and the way the courts view gender discrimination.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at The Prince Charles (until 28 FEB). CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (22 to 28 FEB). CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? d. Marielle Heller, 2018 at ArtHouse (until 28 FEB). DESTROYER d. Karyn Kusama, 2018 at Watermans (22 to 28 FEB). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Rich Mix (until 28 FEB). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING d. RaMell Ross, 2018 at ICA (until 28 FEB). IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (22 to 28 FEB). JELLYFISH d. James Gardner, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (22 to 28 FEB). LONDON UNPLUGGED d. various, 2019 at ICA (22 to 28 FEB). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 28 FEB). SWEET COUNTRY d. Warwick Thornton, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (25 FEB to 03 MAR). THE SILENCE OF OTHERS d. Almudena Carracedo & Robert Bahar, 2018 at DocHouse (until 27 FEB).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.