RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
THE HOLY MOUNTAIN d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973 + Bo Ningen Live Score at Rio Cinema (29 JUL 19:30):
- Deeper Into Movies presents: “The London / Amsterdam based Japanese experimental outfit Bo Ningen performs a new reimagined score to Alejandro Jodorowsky’s cult classic THE HOLY MOUNTAIN live onstage at The Rio. THE HOLY MOUNTAIN is one of the most extraordinary movies ever made, a hypnotising, unsettling, transgressive, dazzling, decadent, rambling, psychedelic masterpiece. We’re bringing in a full PA for maximum volume and we’ve scored a beautiful remastered print of the film. This is going to be a fucking trip!”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
London’s favourite, Genesis Cinema (results of the recent Time Out 25 Best Cinemas where they polled first!) celebrates two modern auteurs with mini seasons wrapped around their latest releases: Tarantino x Almodóvar (AUG 2019).
Our summer-long love affair with community cinema Screen25 continues this week with HIGH LIFE, part of their LIFT OFF! moon landing season at Harris Academy South Norwood (31 JUL 19:45). Check out our Special Attractions for full listings & then use promo code “CIRCUS19” to book & save!
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
MEDEA d. Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1975 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker at Italian Cultural Institute (29 JUL 19:00 – FREE!/Currently looking SOLD OUT – check for returns):
- “On a quest to retrieve the fabled Golden Fleece, Jason and the Argonauts arrive at a remote barbarian land where the natives worship the sacred artefact to protect the crops. But, unexpectedly, as Medea – a beautiful high priestess and the land’s powerful sorceress – betrays her beliefs to follow Jason back to Greece, a cruel fate awaits her. As a result, deserted and banished by the king, it’s only human that Medea plots her furious revenge.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AMAZING GRACE d. Alan Elliott & Sydney Pollack, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (29 JUL 18:30 & 20:30).
- The Bodies Beneath book launch with William Fowler and Vic Pratt at BFI (29 JUL 18:30).
- DIEGO MARADONA d. Asif Kapadia, 2019 at The Prince Charles (29 JUL 18:00).
- IN FABRIC d. Peter Strickland, 2018 at Genesis Cinema (29 JUL 21:00).
- INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS d. Quentin Tarantino, 2009 at Picturehouse Central (29 JUL 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at Barbican Cinema (29 JUL 15:30).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 70mm d. David Lean, 1962 (29 JUL 18:30).
BACKYARD CINEMA: L.A. NIGHTS at Roundhouse (19 JUL to 24 AUG):
- BACK TO THE FUTURE (29 JUL 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: OBSESSIONS at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- GUN CRAZY 35mm d. Joseph H Lewis, 1950 (29 JUL 18:20).
- BLUEBEARD d. Catherine Breillat, 2009 (29 JUL 20:30).
CINEMATIC OBSESSIONS at Deptford Cinema (11 JUN to 29 JUL):
- BURNING d. Chang-dong Lee, 2018 (29 JUL 19:00).
CLOSE-UP ON CLAIRE DENIS at Close-Up (08 to 31 JUL):
- 35 SHOTS OF RUM 35mmd. Claire Denis, 2008 (29 JUL 20:15).
KUBRICK: Back By Popular Demand… at BFI IMAX & Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 (29 JUL 20:20).
NINETIES: YOUNG CINEMA REBELS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- MY SISTER-WIFE d. Lesley Manning, 1992 (29 JUL 18:10).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (until 14 AUG):
- RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 (29 JUL 16:10).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
- DIRTY DANCING (29 JUL 21:00 – Peckham).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 (29 JUL 13:15 & 20:45).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- DukeFest 2019 (28 to 31 JUL).
MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (29 JUL 15:15 & 21:00):
- “A beautiful yet tragic love story between Leonard Cohen and his Norwegian muse Marianne Ihlen. Their love began on the idyllic Greek island of Hydra in 1960 as part of a bohemian community of foreign artists, writers and musicians. The film follows their relationship from the early days on Hydra, a humble time of ‘free love’ and open marriage, to how their love evolved when Leonard became a successful musician.”
ON THE INSIDE OF A MILITARY DICTATORSHIP d. Karen Stokkendal Poulsen, 2019 at DocHouse (29 JUL 18:30):
- “After 50 years of military dictatorial rule in Myanmar, the military generals began to realise something needed to change for sanctions to be lifted. Following the release of Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi at the end of 2010, the military installed a so-called civilian democracy, including putting Aung San Suu Kyi onto the political stage, who in turn made a dangerous pact with her opponents.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at DocHouse (until 01 AUG). ARE YOU PROUD? d. Ashley Joiner, 2019 at Picturehouse Hackney (26 JUL to 01 AUG). ARMSTRONG d. David Fairhead, 2019 at The Prince Charles (26 JUL to 01 AUG). BOOKSMART d. Olivia Wilde, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 01 AUG). THE CURRENT WAR d. Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, 2017 at Phoenix Cinema (26 JUL to 01 AUG). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 01 AUG). THE GREAT HACK d. Karim Amer & Jehane Noujaim, 2019 at ICA (until 31 JUL). HIGH LIFE d. Claire Denis, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (29 JUL to 04 AUG). THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (until 01 AUG). MIDSOMMAR d. Ari Aster, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 31 JUL). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 01 AUG). ONLY YOU d. Harry Wootliff, 2018 at Watermans (26 JUL to 01 AUG). PAVAROTTI d. Ron Howard, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (until 30 JUL). RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 at The Prince Charles (26 JUL to 01 AUG). TEL AVIV ON FIRE d. Sameh Zoabi, 2018 at JW3 (until 28 JUL). VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 01 AUG). WHERE ARE YOU, JOÃO GILBERTO? d. Georges Gachot, 2018 at ICA (27 JUL to 01 AUG – UK Premiere 27 JUL listed above).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.