RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: RUNNING ON EMPTY 35mm at BFI Southbank (30 MAY 20:40).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Artists’ Film Club: Shen Xin: WARM SPELL at ICA (30 MAY 18:45):
- Shen Xin’s recently completed video WARM SPELL is a complex exploration of bodies and cultures, set amidst the environmental change caused by global warming. WARM SPELL is shown alongside the earlier work COUNTING BLESSINGS, a record of her artist father’s photography collection focused on representations of Tibetans and Tibetan culture in Chinese ink painting.
CLASSE TOUS RISQUES + INTRO by Geoff Andrew at BFI Southbank (30 MAY 18:10):
- Written by José Giovanni (Le Trou, Le Deuxième souffle), Sautet’s superb crime drama follows a fugitive gangster (Ventura), sentenced to death in Italy, who heads to France to settle some scores and carry out one last job that will enable him to retire.
MA VIE EN ROSE + DISCUSSION at The Cinema Museum (30 MAY 19:00 – Free, donation requested!):
- Alain Berliner’s 1997 Belgian film about a family struggling to accept young Ludovic’s transgressive gender expression. Presented by the Vito Project, a series of monthly screenings bringing generations of LGBT folk together to provide an alternative space to watch films and share ideas.
More films in London today (A – Z): CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF at The Prince Charles (30 MAY 18:20). A FANTASTIC WOMAN + TALK by activist & artist Annie Brown presented by Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (30 MAY 19:45). THE FLORIDA PROJECT at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (30 MAY 21:00). GOOD TIME at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (30 MAY 21:00). THE GREATEST SHOWMAN + Welcome Kitchen Iftar supper club at Amnesty UK (30 MAY 18:00). THE MARTIAN presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas Millennium Halls (30 MAY 20:15). MULHOLLAND DRIVE presented by Deeper Into Movies at The Five Bells (30 MAY 19:30). PAINT YOUR WAGON at Regent Street Cinema (30 MAY 12:00 & 15:30). PERSEPOLIS at Deptford Cinema (30 MAY 19:30). SOCIETY at The Prince Charles (30 MAY 21:00). Take Two: KISS ME DEADLY [+ REPO MAN tomorrow] at Close-Up (30 & 31 MAY 19:30). VALMONT in tribute to Milos Forman at Ciné Lumière (30 MAY 20:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
LOST IN AMERICA: THE OTHER SIDE OF REAGAN’S 80s at BFI Southbank (MAY):
- RUNNING ON EMPTY 35mm (30 MAY 20:40).
LUCRECIA MARTEL RETROSPECTIVE at ICA & BFI Southbank (20 to 27 MAY):
- ZAMA (30 MAY 14:30 & 20:40, BFI).
RETURNING THE COLONIAL GAZE at Barbican (02 to 30 MAY):
- AN ADVENTURER’S HOMECOMING + TOUKI-BOUKI (30 MAY 20:45 – Sold Out!).
YOUTH ON THE MARCH! at Regent Street Cinema (02 MAY to 27 JUN):
- COURIER (30 MAY 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Herne Hill Free Film Festival (01 MAY to 01 JUN)
- Next screening: BEYOND THE PHOTO (31 MAY 20:00, Prince Regent Pub – Free!).
Everyman Music Film Festival (07 to 31 MAY)
- Next screening: UNDER THE SKIN + LIVE SCORE (31 MAY 19:00, Everyman Muswell Hill).
IN THE INTENSE NOW + BRITISH MOVIETONE NEWS REVIEW OF 1968 at Rio Cinema (30 MAY 18:30):
- IN THE INTENSE NOW blends a cornucopia of archive materials documenting the uprisings of 1968 as they unfolded across four different countries. It captures all the euphoria, heady idealism and sadness of tumultuous times.
KOUDELKA: SHOOTING HOLY LAND at DocHouse (30 MAY 20:30):
- Forty years after capturing iconic images of the Soviet invasion of Prague in 1968, Czech Photographer Josef Koudelka arrived in Israel and Palestine. On first seeing the nine-meter-high wall built by Israel in the West Bank, Koudelka is deeply shaken and embarks on a four-year project.
ZAMA at ICA (30 MAY 21:05):
- Nine years after the critically acclaimed THE HEADLESS WOMAN, director Lucrecia Martel returns with ZAMA, a colonial-era satire based on the 1956 existential novel by Argentinian writer Antonio Di Benedetto.
More films in London this week (A – Z): 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm at Picturehouse Central (until 31 MAY). AMANT DOUBLE at Ciné Lumière (29 MAY to 14 JUN). THE BREADWINNER at Rich Mix (25 to 31 MAY). LOTS OF KIDS, A MONKEY AND A CASTLE at DocHouse (25 to 31 MAY). THE OUTSIDER at DocHouse (25 to 31 MAY). THE RAPE OF RECY TAYLOR at ArtHouse Crouch End (25 to 31 MAY). REVENGE at Ciné Lumière (until 31 MAY). SWEET COUNTRY at Whirled Cinema (28 MAY to 03 JUN). THIS IS CONGO at ICA (25 to 31 MAY). THE WILD BOYS at ICA (until 30 MAY).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.